Ovarian Cancer Research
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m
Overall Rank = 746/1640
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Hung out with I_tri! (Katie) We set up our transition areas, chatted about the race, and calmed our nerves before my wave took off... Watched the pros start, (Nicole DeBoom) and practiced the correct pronunciation of Michellie Jones' name... (she was there also, but not racing) Ate a "Pria" bar, and waited in a very long restroom line. I was in wave 16/30, and Katie was in wave 24/30 so we had lots of time to burn.
Event warmup:

Wading in the water for about 1 minute before the wave went off... Not much of a warm up was conducted... General stretching. Trying to stretch a kink in my neck/upper back which occurred as a result of 1) falling asleep on the couch the night before, trying to watch stage 19 of T de F, and 2)awkwardly trying to lift my bike out of my trunk. This resulted in a knot in the middle of my back! Very painful. Did not bring Advil to race, but will from now on!!!
Swim
  • 12m 37s
  • 810 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Rank information to come. I got stuck behind a contestant from the prior wave and a "swimming buddy" that were going very slowly. Had to ultimately navigate between the two of them to get past them. Started up front in my wave, to the right, but still got kicked a fair amount.
What would you do differently?:

I should have been much more aggressive in trying to get around this swimmer and her buddy. I lost some time waiting for them to move aside.
Transition 1
  • 04m 36s
Comments:

Forgot an energy gel again. This engergy gel thing is going to be my undoing this season! I don't know why this is so difficult to remember. I did it fine all last year. So, no energy gel before the swim, before the bike, or ON the bike.

I need to pack up a packet of Hammer Gel or whatever I'm using at the time and put it somewhere where it's impossible for me to forget. The time I did remember this @ the Big Foot race, the gel was located in my zip pocket the entire swim. Maybe I need to wear only tri-specific tops with zip pockets so I can keep this stuff close to my "person". Apparently I'm becoming forgetful!!
Bike
  • 46m 57s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 18.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Rank information to come.
I was really concentrating on keeping the cadence up and keeping the chain in a more Lance Armstrong gear (v. a big Jan Ullrich gear!) Remember, I had fallen asleep the previous night watching the tour, so I fell asleep dreaming of biking. :)

I'm getting better with the gear changes, but this still needs work. Also used the aerobars a BIT, but not very much, I still don't feel totally comfortable and in control of the bike while I'm leaning forward like that. Cornering is improving, but still needs work. I had a less than graceful dismount off the bike, also.
Transition 2
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

As mentioned above, I sort of fell over while dismounting the bike. Everyone was gathered at the BIKE -IN area, and we all came to a rather abrupt halt. I just sort of leaned to the side and caught myself, but it was still very ungraceful. (!) I did have time to suck down a gel before taking off onto the running course... Phew. I remembered!

I need clipless pedals. I think I'm ready to try. (although given the dismount situation, you might question this decision...) ha ha.. I **think** I'm ready to try... Will save for pedals and bike shoes in the off season...
Run
  • 34m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Rank info to come... I was determined to beat my time this year v. my time last year on this very same race course. So, I knew I'd have to get over my "issues" with running this year. I stuck with a girl who seemed to be going my same pace... when she picked up the pace and dropped me (!) I kept chugging along, never stopping, drinking Gatorade and water as I found it, and actually felt I did alright.

I seem to be improving a bit on the run... 34.00 for a 5K segment still isn't my best time. I guess this is one step forward from 2 steps back...

Post race
Warm down:

Ate a banana, some bread, and drank alot of Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other than flat out genetics, it could be my running form...? I'm not sure. Clipless pedals would assist me in transferring more power during the biking segment.

Event comments:

I've done this race twice now, and it's been very well organized each time. The pre-race expo is great, and I usually end up buying something fun to use in the race the next day (this year it was some funky new sunglasses!) Plenty of aid stations, lots of first timers, and lots of older women who want to TRY a triathlon feel comfortable doing it here! Also big names like Michellie Jones and Nicole DeBoom who are friendly and will talk to you if you walk up and say hello!

Last updated: 2004-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:37 | 810 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1640
Performance: Good
Suit: Sugoi power tri shorts & misc top.
Course: Around and around and around the pylons we go! A very snaky twisty and turny couse.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:57 | 14.5 miles | 18.53 mile/hr
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Very flat and fast. The roads were sufficiently blocked off. Some of the roads were in poor repair, though, making the ride a little bumpy from time to time. For the most part, though, the road was OK.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:51
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:34:00 | 03.1 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Course: Pretty flat. Nice running course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-07-26 11:00 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: Reebok Women's Triathlon

2004-07-26 11:11 AM
in reply to: #40379

Subject: RE: Reebok Women's Triathlon

What an awesome race Laura!! You will (learn to) love clipless pedals.

I enjoyed your race report. I will be doing the Reebok here in the Seattle area in September, so am happy to hear how much you liked it.

Great job..

Nancy

2004-07-26 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Sounds like a great event. I think my wife would enjoy a "women only" venue. How was your time compared to last (or previous) year's event?
2004-07-26 10:24 PM

User image

Naperville, IL
Way to go, Laura!

I did the same race on Sunday. How about that T1 run? I thought they should have counted it as part of the 5k!

I'm envious that you and I Try got to hang out. The company would have been great since I was in wave 15/30. We were probably standing next to each other waiting to get into the water.

Oh well...there's always next time.

Tryin to Tri (Katie)
2004-07-27 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Fabulous!  You did great!  Too cool to race with pros.
2004-07-28 10:04 AM
in reply to: #40619

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
I improved by almost 9 minutes!!! (8:35)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reebok Women's Triathlon Rss Feed