General Discussion Race Reports! » American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
American Fork, Utah
United States
Hilltop Aquatics
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 42s
Overall Rank = 42/143
Age Group = Male 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Prerace routine for this race wa ANYTHING BUT typical for me. As I was involved on the race committee as the registration manager, I was plenty busy.

Thursday night, getting the seedings done and registrations closed out, got to bed after 4 in the morning. Friday night instead of resting at home and having a good pre-race carb-loading dinner -- Finished setting up racer registertation packets. GOt to bed about 11:30, and slept til about 5 am and then got up, got dressed and headed to the race site.

With all the crazyness around getting the race setup, I didn't do a good job in the pre-race nutrition department at all, and basically missed dinner the night before. I would pay the price for that later. I did manage to eat a banana about 6:00 am -- 3 hours before the race.

Got to the race site, and set up athlete check starting at about 6:30 am. One advantage of getting to the race site that early, was I had my pick of transition area real estate! (of course, mine was the first bike there and nearly the last bike out!). Quickly set up my transition area and began checking in racers for the next couple of hours.

Finally, about 20 minutes before race time, I told the volunteers there that it was time for me to go get ready to race! Which I did!
Event warmup:

Event warm-up was good. Met up with Billy (brappleye3), Jason, and Randy. Also bumped into several other triathlon friends.

Jumped into the pool and swam about 150 meters slowly for warm up. Felt pretty good. One thing that was nice about this race, is I had been so busy getting everything else going, that I wasn't nervous about the race.
Swim
  • 06m 39s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim actually felt pretty good to me. Was a little bit slower that I hoped, but I'm very pleased with it. I managed to control my breathing pretty well, and felt stronger coming out of the pool than I have in other races.

I did have a great experience passing 3 swimmers within about 30 yards. I came up on two of them at the wall, dove and turned deep and came out in front of them! That was SOOO fun. I passed a couple others about 15 yards later. Was so fun to actually draft a little bit.

I felt really relaxed in the water today, and that made it a lot of fun.

My time on this swim was only a second faster than in the Icebreaker Triathlon back in March, but I felt TONS better. I wasn't NEARLY as spent after this swim. I had some energy still left.
What would you do differently?:

Push a little harder. I think I could have shaved another 10-15 seconds off my time if I had.

Definatly push harder off the walls. A good way to "rest" for a second, and at the same time, keep good forward progress.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

This is a long transition. About 200 yards from getting out of the pool to the t-zone. But, I improved my time in this transition over the Icebreaker Triathlon by a full 44 seconds

Not a lot. I improved significantly over this same transition last time
Bike
  • 37m 7s
  • 11.3 miles
  • 18.27 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike was good, had a lot of fun with it, only I should have pushed a bit harder on the second lap, particularly the downhill portion. I could have taken another 45 seconds-1 minute off my time had I pushed a little harder (then I'd have beaten Billy on the bike!)

Played cat and mouse with the lady who took 3rd overall in the womens for a good portion of the first lap. She would pass me, then I would pass her, and so on. Finally, I got in front of her pretty good on toward the end of the first lap, and left her behind. Didn't see her again until later.

Push harder on the downhills. I should have taken better advantage of the aid that the course was giving me.

I rode this course the other day about the same speed, so maybe I couldn't have done a lot better, but I'd liked to have.

Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Improvement on this transition as well by 3 seconds over last time.

not much -- just do it faster.
Run
  • 25m 37s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was TERRIBLE. Was the worst event of the day for me. The fatigue from lack of sleep, eating, etc, was starting to set in at this point. I also, in all my craziness getting ready, forgot to take my enduaralyte tablets and my Vitamin I (Ibuprofen). I paid dearly for that here.

Started out of transition, and I knew the run was going to be hard. My leg was hurting pretty good, and was quite tight from the problem I've been doctoring for the past 3 weeks. Was really sore. Did get down to about a 7:55 for about the first 1/3 mile and then I hit the first part of the hill, and the angle of the climb irritated the leg pretty good. Kept on running though. Wasn't going to give Billy the satisfaction of having to tell him that I walked part of the run!

Got to the second part of the hill, and my pace really started to slow, fell 9:20 for a while -- OUCH!

Got into mile two and started tried to pick the pace up but didn't do as well as I wanted -- leg was sore, and I was pretty tired. But I kept running! (good for me)

Mile 3 was mostly downhill. Running this last week I was sub 7:30 on this part of the course. Not so today. Leg was really hurting, and I was totaly tired. But I KEPT ON RUNNIN! Speed picked up, and I was able to get my pace down to sub 8:00 anyway. The Lady that I play cat and mouse with on the bike caught back up to me in the last 1/4 mile or so and we ended up crossing the line at about the same time

Remember to take my Vitamin I, particularly when I have a sore leg. Push harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it off, ate some bagel, fruit, and a small sandwich

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue from the two days prior to the race, Bum leg.

Event comments:

Good race today. Happy with the results, especially given the conditions. Weather threatened to give grief, but fortunately the rain stopped about 5 in the morning, and so everthing was able to be held. Temperature was cool, but from a temprature standpoint was just about right for a race. Would have been nice to have some sun instead of the overcast, but can't have everything I guess.

Overall, Very pleased withn my performance. Improved time in all sections except my run, but that was not surprising. Still was able to beat my overall time goal by close to 1 minute, so I can't complain! Good Race!

Last updated: 2006-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:39 | 328 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 57/143
Performance: Good
Suit: Javelin Tri Suit
Course: Serpentine swim, 6 lengths in a 50 meter pool. Time Trial Start -- seeded by predicted pace, 10 second intervals. Swim up one lane - cross under lane line, swim back -- cross under -- etc.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:34
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:07 | 11.3 miles | 18.27 mile/hr
Overall: 37/143
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps around a 5 mile course. Long somewhat steep climb in mile 1 and a false flat climb through 2.5. Remainder of the lap was a long gradual downhill
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:37 | 03 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 44/143
Performance: Below average
Mile 1 - 8:55 Mile 2 - 8:47 Mile 3 - 7:55
Course: Basically the same course as the bike, but only 3 miles instead of 5.5. Tough hill in Mile 1 with false flat through mile 1.5. Downhill from there.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-08 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon

2006-10-08 6:46 PM
in reply to: #563824

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon
I think you had a great race considering all the work you did for the race.  I saw you putting in a lot of work before and after.  I enjoyed meeting you as well and hopefully we can bump into each other at a lot of races in the future.  I was glad to have your encouragement before the race to help get me there. 
2006-10-08 11:47 PM
in reply to: #564003

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Hey, great race under the circumstances.  I know that I felt like crud while riding the bike course with the kids after the late nights and pre-race stress.  There's no way I would have been anywhere near my best to participate.  You certainly toughed it out and still medaled!

Thanks again for all of your help with the race registration.  I heard nothing but praise about it.  It was also nice to be able to leave to take care of other things and to feel comfortable that check-in was running smoothly.  That's the first time I've EVER not seen lines at check-in at a race!

2006-10-09 8:58 AM

Thanks for your work on this. It was a great tri, well organized, fun course, great volunteers etc.
2006-10-09 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  I appreciate it!   I have a new appreciation of how hard people work to put on this type of event!  Was great fun, but TONS of work  (which isn't finished yet!!)

To all -- keep on training -- this is a GREAT sport!

2006-10-10 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
I can't imagine heading into a race on so little sleep and nutrition.  I think you had a great race under the circumstances.  Congrats!

2006-10-12 11:05 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Good job Brettski!  You don't know how lucky I was that you were up all night with those registration woes!  It was a close one- only got ya by two minutes!  Next race it's for real- no excuses, just pure competition.  You've got a good chance of taking me... but beware- I'm working hard to figure out how to tackle my headgames... I might figure it out!

Seriously, good race, esp. considering your circumstances... it always makes me nervous (you always do amazingly well with your races... you're a pretty fast old guy!!)  And good job managing the registration- after all, I couldn't have raced it without your help!  Just glad I got the easier end of the deal! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon Rss Feed