Ga. Multisport
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 54s
Overall Rank = 98/600
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/33
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:45, Ate 4 scrambled egg beaters, half a bagel, and 8 oz. skim milk. Showered, and amde one final check of my gear. Left Dahlonega at 6:15 for the 45 minute drive to the race. I arrived at the Islands around 7:00 am and was pleased that we were not required to pay for parking at the Islands which is normally around $8. I parked about 1/2 mile from the transition area. Since I picked up my packet earlier in the week, all I had to do was pick up my chip, get marked, find my rack and set up my transition. My initial impression of the transition area was "What a Cluster-F---k". So rather than fight the crowd that was obviously not paying attention to any of the volunteers, I racked my bike, and set up my transition area.
Event warmup:

After setting up my transition area I went on a short run to scope out the swim route and use the restroom. I was pleased to find that the swim was changed to a point to point. I was not pleased to find out that there was only 4 porta johns for all 600 racers and the two bath houses were male only but were immediately turned coed. So...I pee'd in the woods, got marked, picked up chip, changed into my wetsuit, and did a 200 yard warm-up swim.
Swim
  • 08m 27s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I couldn't be happier about my swim performance! I had considered this my weakest event, and since my last Tri was 17 years ago, I had visions of being swamped by passing swimmers or worse yet being found floating face down after the race. So I made sure I started in the back of the pack of my wave (men 40 and over). This proved to be a mistake because the reality is I don't swim as bad as I think so I ended up crawling over the backs of 3 seperate guys and being kicked several times in the process. I finished 12 of 33 in my age group and in front of the majority in my wave!
What would you do differently?:

Trust my ability and training.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Pretty good in spite of the long run from the swim to the transition area, and the wetsuit (I practiced).
Bike
  • 41m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 18.76 mile/hr
Comments:

After my swim I felt awesome, I flew through the first half of the course averaging about 20 mph at 87-90 rpm. Then I picked up something on my front tire during a turn and immediately heard a hissing sound. I thought the worse! I have a Go----n flat. So... I stopped, jumped off the bike to check and found that what I picked up was someones race number from a helmet that had lodged between my front brake and fork. The hissing was it scrubbing against my tire. Event though only one person passed me through this ordeal, it probably cost me a couple of minutes. This was pretty demoralizing since this was my strongest event and I probably screwed up what was a pretty good time. Overall I'm not too disapointed.

Not stop until the rim is on the ground.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

I had a little trouble with one of my shoes, probably cost me 30 seconds. My transitions in practice averaged about a minute. Oh well!

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Only had markers at each mile. I think in a short race the course should be marked at each 1/2 mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for several minutes, stretched, and drank 16 oz cytomax.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience. Recent experience anyway!

Event comments:

I'll add this one to my race list. Although I had a few problems here and there I feel great about my performance. I would have liked to finish in the top three in my AG but who doesn't? I think my conditioning was excellent and my training was pretty sound. I will probably hire a swimming coach over the winter to help me with my technique. Watch out next year.

Last updated: 2006-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:27 | 400 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/33
Overall: 0/600
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra sleevless john
Course: 400 yard point to point along the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:11
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:54 | 13.1 miles | 18.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/33
Wind: None
Course: Slightly rolling with short hills. Fairly fast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:41 | 03.11 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/33
Course: Out and back with one hill in the middle and one at transition. I thought I was moving faster than was my time shows. I planned to run around a 7:15 but eneded up around 7:30.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-09 6:57 PM

User image

Expert
BFE
Subject: Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon

2006-10-09 7:21 PM
in reply to: #564991

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Subject: RE: Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon
Nice job...... especially for a "come-back" race. You had a strong run!

2006-10-09 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
You really did awesome for your first one back!  Congrats on such a great performance and good luck next year.
2006-10-09 7:38 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Nicely done ... all solid splits.

See you at the Gaps over the winter.

2006-10-09 7:54 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock

Nice job on the race- that bike ordeal must have been frustrating- but you still ended up with great times. Looking foward to seeing you on the podium next year.

2006-10-11 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

David - you had an awesome race.  Your story about the flat tire/stuck race number made me laugh because I ALWAYS think that worse when I'm out on the bike.  Like if the road gets bumpy, I'll start thinking 'OH NO!  My tire is flat.'   I'm going to start riding until the wheel is on the rim as well. 

After all the complaining you did about hating to swim, you did awesome.  Your swim time was incredible.  I'm sorry that I didn't get to see you out there.  Glad you had a great time.  Keep up the good work!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon Rss Feed