Maryland Coastal Bays Program
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 30s
Overall Rank = 27/313
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/29
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night at Bobby and Sherry's in Cambridge. Up at 0445 and we were on the road at 0540. Had my standard pre-race meal of SE with 12 oz water and a Powerbar. It only took 65 minutes to get there so I was plenty early and got a great spot on the bike racks.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Just stood around shooting the breeze with Glenn, Shelly, Brenda and my family. It was cool and windy so I basically just stood around shivering and rubbing my arms. Time always seems to fly pre-race so it was time to head to the water before I knew it.
Swim
  • 08m 2s
  • 550 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

What an awesome swim I had! The harder I swam, the better I felt. I don't know if it was the cold water or what, but this was the best swim I've ever had. I followed Glenn's lead on positioning at the start and got on the outside and kind of middle/front. Man, the water was COLD! First thing I did was warm up the inside of my wetsuit - that sure felt good. I was hoping to stay to the outside all the way to the first bouy to avoid the initial mayhem. This worked well, but I took it too wide which probably cost me a little time. I had absolutely no contact in the first 100 yards so I guess it worked. Half way through I was passing people like crazy and started looking around and didn't see anyone from my wave and was thinking "what the heck is going on?" Every few minutes I just cranked it up another notch and just felt phenomenal. I felt like I was flying. Next thing I knew my hands were hitting the bottom and it was over. I stood up and looked at my watch and knew I had a great swim even though it was short. There were no blue caps from my wave around. I was 1st in my AG and 2nd in my wave of M30-39.
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing. This was all I had mentally and physically. The stars must have been aligned for me.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

This is estimated since they didn't take transition splits and I didn't get them on my watch. This was the fastest T1 I've ever had. My wetsuit snapped off so easily I couldn't believe it. I put my helmet on got on my way. I had a really good position in transition so it was just 20 feet or so to the bike exit.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 44m 43s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.13 mile/hr
Comments:

My HR was through the roof when my HRM finally started working a few minutes into the bike. I went out at around 22-23 mph and my HR wasn't coming down. My game plan for this entire race was to not focus on HR so much and just go hard. I'm always sweating my HR on the bike and trying to get it down to cycling range quickly. Today I wanted to see what would happen if I pushed the bike. Overall, I thought my time was slow for the effort I put out, but this was the hardest I've ever ridden in a race. I passed a bunch of people that were mostly on road bikes and didn't see anyone around that looked my age. Very weird. I thought for sure the hammerheads would start blowing by me about half way into the bike, but they never caught up. I just kept pushing and gave it all I had. I just kept telling myself that this was the last race of the season and there's absolutely no reason to hold anything back. I was hoping for something in the 21mph range, but I guess the wind or the cold wind made it tougher. I still had a really good ride. I could only manage 17-18mph on the headwind stretches.

Nothing. I know I would have had a bad run if I had ridden any harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Again, this is estimated and I backed it out of my bike time. This was fast and possibly even faster than 30". I went without socks, so literally, I just slipped my shoes on and took off. I clipped my race number belt on while I was running. I wish they took transition splits because I would like to see how I ranked here.

nothing
Run
  • 24m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Game plan here was to go hard, but save something for the way home. I did watch my HR here a little and kept the first 1.5 miles in high z3/lowz4. I was going to open it up a little with a mile to go. I was having a great run and saw Glenn and Shelly on their way back. It always gives me a boost to see friends on the run. They both looked really strong and were smiling. With about a mile to go, a guy passes me with authority and I figured there was only 7-8 minutes of running left for me so I got on his heels and went with him. He eased up and said hi and said he was tired of running alone. I gave him a hard time for backing off because I was using him as my rabbit. We ran together until the bridge (about a 1/4 mile out) and I planned on passing him fast as soon as we got off the bridge. I let it rip and he went with me. He got in front of me before the last turn and barely beat me in which was a bummer, but he really helped to motivate me and made the final sprint fun.

Nothing. I thought I might crack 24 minutes, but I gave it 110%.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around talking with Glenn and Shelly. Snapped a couple pictures of Brenda coming in looking strong. Last year I hit the road right after the race and missed seeing Glenn pick up his hardware. I wasn't going to miss it again this year and Shelly was going to place well so I hung around so I could cheer for them. Awards were going slow so I walked over to look at the results, but could only get close enough to see that I finished 27th overall. Wow - I couldn't believe it. Then, as I was walking back over toward where everyone was standing, they called my name as second in my AG. Holy Cow! In total disbelief, I went up and got my medal. I still can't believe it. I have to admit that I feel awfully strange winning a medal when I get my butt kicked by someone who doesn't place in their AG. That doesn't seem right. I guess it just goes to show that it's all about who shows up on race day, or in my case, who doesn't show up! I guess all the fast M30-34ers were at Cape Henlopen. It was so awesome to have my parents, Marianne, Sherrie and Maddie there. Triathlon wouldn't be half as much fun if it weren't for friends and family.

Event comments:

This is absolutely my favorite race of the year. Hats off to the RD for making the very difficult decision of moving the race to Sunday. Everything was very well organized and relaxed. What a great way to end the year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:02 | 550 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/29
Overall: 12/313
Performance: Good
HRM didn't work during the swim.
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Straight out about 50 yards then along the shore and back into transition.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:43 | 15 miles | 20.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/29
Overall: 28/313
172 avg/181 max
Wind: Some
Course: Not sure how to describe the course. Sort of an out and back with a loop in there. Lots of change in direction which was good because of the wind. The headwind sections weren't long at all.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:31 | 03.1 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/29
Overall: 58/313
179 avg/194 max
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-10 7:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Subject: Osprey Sprint Triathlon

2006-10-10 8:32 AM
in reply to: #565257

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Osprey Sprint Triathlon

Once again GREAT RACE! And to think that last year at this race you did breastroke for most of the swim, and now you are in front of the whole wave! Incredible!

BTW nice picture of you and a trash can. And I can see my bike on the rack in your T2 pic. COOL.

2006-10-10 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
What a great race Dave! That is so cool that you got 2nd in your AG. I couldn't be happier for you. And that swim was smokin' - 1st in your AG! Give yourself a big pat on the back. Nicely done.
2006-10-10 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Hey, if any of the guys from Henlopen had been at the Osprey you would have just had that many more people behind you - you had a GREAT race!!! Congrats.
2006-10-10 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

HOLY JACKRABBIT, BATMAN! 

CONGRATULATIONS!   YOU GOT HARDWARE!   AWESOME RACE!

I'm so pumped for your SUPER Race-- and to place 2nd in AG ( in what in my opinion is probably one of the toughest AG's) is STELLAR!

GREAT JOB -- Enjoy the off season, but don't get soft!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Edited by UTTriman 2006-10-10 12:04 PM
2006-10-10 2:57 PM

DT,

Sorry I missed you at the race...I guess you met my other half (Joe - lcsolutions). Great race! Definitely on the menu for next year!

Reji (mswrites)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Osprey Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed