Bear Necessities Pediatric Cancer Foundation
36F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 40s
Overall Rank = 10/221
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/18
Pre-race routine:

Slept in as much as possible. I got to sleep around 10:30pm. Slept well until about 4am. Then on and off until about 7am. Ate a banana, then a cliff bar and 24 oz. of water. Contemplated what to wear, it was 28 degrees according to weather.com. I put on some tights, under armour shirt and a long sleeve t-shirt. I added some layers (and gloves) on this for warm-ups, but then shredded down to the minimum for the run. This was the perfect clothing for the run.
Event warmup:

I ran about .5 mile or so with some strides. Did a bunch of stretching waiting for our start. Searched out some rabbits to run with.
Run
  • 20m 40s
  • 3.15 miles
  • 06m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first 5K (other than triahtlons), so it was nice to go into a run with fresh legs. My pacing wasn't great at all. I started out way too fast, trying to run w/ a couple teenagers. My plan was to do something like 6:45, 6:35, 6:25, but that went out the window when I hit the first mile and the garmin was telling me 6:10. That was cool, until I looked at my HRM and it said 163 which is somewhere around my LTHR.

I figured I needed to cool it a bit, or I was going to explode. My mile two pace was about perfect, felt good, although my HR was moving up. The last mile was all uphill. My heart felt like it was going to explode, but I knew there wasn't much distance left to cover, so I continued to go at a pretty good pace, although slower than the first two miles, it was a pretty nice grade of hill to climb. Not to mention my heart felt like it was going to pop out of my chest. I got passed by a dude here in my age group as I was trying to catch another guy. Even though I did that last .15 miles at a 6:00m/m pace, I couldn't catch them. I attribute this to going out too fast at the beginning.

All in all, a great run for a great cause (pediatric cancer)

What would you do differently?:

Pace myself better.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, some bananas, and met my family who had shown up just before the start. This race was at my son's school, so he was pretty proud to have "sponsored" us.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills and maybe a little bit of the cold weather. The course was slightly longer than 5K (the Garmin had this at 3.15, which puts me at a 6:36 pace, as opposed to the 6:40 pace..of course, thats peanuts, but it gives me hope to break 20min at my next one!. Thats about it.

Event comments:

A fantastic race for me and I couldn't be happier with this time. I definitely have to work out my pacing, as a positive split isn't the best way to race, especially when I planned on doing a nice little negative split. I have really been focused on my run since Pleasant Prairie Oly, where my 10K run was definitley my limiter. My hard work has paid off with a fantastic 1/2 mary time at CL, and this 5K time. I am hoping to carry this "new" speed into next season for the triathlons I plan on competing in.

This event is very well run. They have a big pancake breakfast afterwards, which is free for the runners, and only $5 for adults, and $3 for children. They also had a 10K and a mile run. It was very neat to see all of the little kids that did the mile. Some small kid (I am guessing he may have been 11? did a sub 6min mile in the mile. Wow!).

Here is the race as recorded by Garmin:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValu... (pretty obvious to see why the first mile was so fast...all downhill)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-10-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:40 | 03.15 miles | 06m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/18
Overall: 10/221
Performance: Good
Lap 1: 6:10, 158 HR Lap 2: 6:43, 170 HR Lap 3: 6:55, 173 HR Lap 4: 6:00m/m, 172 HR
Course: Out and back. First mile was downhill, second mile was flat, last 1.1 was uphill.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-10-15 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: Bear Run 5K

2006-10-16 10:00 AM
in reply to: #569380

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: RE: Bear Run 5K

Holy shat, that's a killer 5K time!  GREAT JOB!!!

Hard to do a negative split when the last portion of the run is uphill, so don't sweat that.  Sounds like you handled the 5K just right to me.  I find a fast 5K is more of a sufferfest than a long run, in many ways. 

2006-10-16 10:00 AM
in reply to: #569380

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Nice job, spunky.  Nice of Holly to round up the little rascals and bring 'em down. 

I have my new goal for my April 5K at Jack's school.  20:39. 

2006-10-16 10:14 AM
in reply to: #569862

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Smokin' run schmize! Congrats on the fantastic time.

But take it easy ..... you're making hang jealous over there ..... ;-P

(And doesn't it just pi$$ you off that you were 10th overall but still only 5th in your AG???? That drives me nutz!!)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bear Run 5K Rss Feed