USAT
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 43s
Overall Rank = 432/1022
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Biked one loop of the two loop course, Swam about 15 minutes until 5 minutes before wave start. Warmed up wetsuit :)
Swim
  • 22m
  • 880 meters
  • 02m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

-> Hill and T1 part of swim time.

Very aggressive group. The Ocean was calm enough not to spread competitors out. I was in a pod of about 12 swimmers and we didn't get organized, instead everyone held their ground and kicked, elbowed, side swiped, punched, hip checked, and swam over/under each other. I thought I was doing good as I was keeping up but I think I expended too much energy not backing down and swimming my own race. Perhaps I should have dropped back and tried passing the group on the outside. Going up the hill to the transition was tough. Legs didn't want to go yet. Trying to make them got me dizzy.
What would you do differently?:

Swim my race, draft the group not try to beat it. This part of my race disappointed me. I expected to do much better in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good transition. Time part of swim.
Bike
  • 37m 8s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Crowded course. Not much room to pass. Wound up riding with a pack of pretty decent riders. I would beat them up the hills but they would use their aerobars and aero position to beat me down. I just couldn't distance myself from them.

Learn when you can't distance yourself to stop trying to make surges and waste energy. I could have stayed mid pack the whole way in a comfortable effort and conserved energy. I'm going to get some aerobars for my Olys.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No socks and Yankz on running shoes, fast transition. First time going sockless and using the no tie laces. I was very happy with that setup and didn't blister.

-> Time part of run (just what I needed, more time added to the run!)
Run
  • 29m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

-> T2 part of run time.

Much suffering but I didn't give in to the voices telling me how much better I would feel if I just stopped. Besides the hills running a half mile on the sand was a little different from my nice easy, flat, pavement running that I am used to.

Stay at the hotel bar and read about the race. No, no, no that wouldn't be right. I would replace my agony thoughts with "happy thoughts."

One volunteer told me I only had ten minutes to go. I replied "Really? Only a quarter mile left? Cool!"
Post race
Warm down:

Doubled over in agony

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As always - the run. But I do consistently get better. In twenty years I'll be able to keep up. Watch out Ironman 2025!

Event comments:

This would have been a tough first race. My first race had clinics, course descriptions, lots of people making sure you knew what to do. This was pretty much show up, rack your bike and get to the swim start. And the competitors weren't there just to have fun and finish. It was a USAT regional championship. Perhaps a lot of people were there for no reason other than make nationals.

You do with it what you can. Overall I still had a blast.

Last updated: 2004-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:00 | 880 meters | 02m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1022
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra LongJohn
Course: Standard C type course. They had a sadistic hill leading from the beach to the transition. It was hard walking down it. A true bear going up when you don't have much blood in your legs. That kick started the lactic acid factory. Cruel, cruel, cruel
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:08 | 12 miles | 19.46 mile/hr
Overall: 39/1022
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Well, the website says "competitors will experience the first of several undulating ‘hills’ that define this ride as challenging, even for experienced triathletes." They weren't lying. Not much in the way of flat areas to get into your rhythm, but not too high to kill you.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:35 | 03.1 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 109/1022
Performance: Bad
Course: "The running course has some of the same undulations that the bike ride had. It is gently up and down and will challenge you after the swim and bike." "For the next half mile you will be running on sand, with the surf crashing to your right and the cliffs of the state park on your left. After about a half mile you will approach the second ramp on the course (the first was just after the swim). This ramp has been described in many ways – none of them sound like “easy” or “fun.” Be forewarned: save something for the final ramp." Yeah, it was even harder than it sounded. Runnng is my weak area. Adding hills and a ramp doesn't help AT ALL! When they say it has been described in terms not sounding like fun - I would describe it here but there might be little ones around. The race director is a sick, sick man.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-07-29 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Subject: Pacific Coast Triathlon

2004-07-29 8:08 PM
in reply to: #41577

User image

Veteran
Southern Ohio
Subject: RE: Pacific Coast Triathlon
Great Job!
2004-07-29 9:39 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
You did great!  And yes that ramp was cruel.  Great comment on the cool down section!
2004-07-30 10:01 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
GREAT job getting through that race! Sand running?? Ick. My legs hurt just thinking about it. Congratulations on your fine finish!!

Kelly
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Coast Triathlon Rss Feed