The Red Rock Company
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 26m 57s
Overall Rank = 348/947
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 70/151
Pre-race routine:

WOke up at 4:30am and choked down a bagel with peanut butter and jelly, then ate a banana. Drank a Gatorade and went over my transition bag one more time. I applied a lot of body glide to all the places I had chaffed before in other races, because this was my first Half Ironman and I didn't want to take any chances. After re-checking everything I went down stairs and waited for Lobo and off we went.
Event warmup:

Finally got to the transition area and set everything up and went to get body marked. After getting body marked, I got my wetsuit and goggles and headed over for my wave to start. Transition was closed at 6:20am, so you had to get there early. Lobo and I talked with the rest of our tri group and before you knew it was time to get into the water!
Swim
  • 40m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

There was a bad accident on the bike course and the start of the race was delayed by 10 minutes or so.
Lobo and I started out in the back and to the right of everyone else in our wave. It seemed to work out, because I was able to get into a rythm really quick. After the first two bouys and we were heading west now and the wave behind us was all over me. My wave had black swim cos on and the wave behind us had yellow. I looked up to sight and all I saw around me was a sea of yellow caps. Then things gor real rough in the water...half way through the swim? Twice I was dunked when people started to swim over me, so I started to swim very aggressive right back. Things calmed down a little bit but things picked up again on the last leg of the swim with the yellow caps! I felt good overall and I didn't have a panic attack! Not even close to one. When I came out of the water onto the steps someone took my arm and pulled me up. I started running and I remembered to take advantage of the strippers. I looked over and the owner of Tribe Multisports was right there and he and another guy wipped my suit off in a matter of seconds! Wow, that was cool!
What would you do differently?:

My navigatoin could have been better, but overall I was very pleased with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

After having my wetsuit peeled off of me I ran to my row and then to my bike and I looked down and the bottom of my feet was covered with grass. I had a small towel there to try and wipe off the grass, but it didn't work that well. I finally just put my shoes and helmet on and I was on my way.

I would put my shoes on after one good swipe of the feet to get the grass off.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 48s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.16 mile/hr
Comments:

There was three loops to this course and I went out pretty conservative for the first 3-4 miles, when I should have gone a little harder. The first loop was fine and I was using it to get used to all of the turns I knew were ahead of me. I was about 6 miles into the first loop and Andy (Chile) screamed past me! Man, was he working the bike hard. The second loop I started to pound it a little harder, but I started to get a very sharp pain on the inside of my left knee. I started to back off a little bit, but by the third loop I knew I needed to go hard or I might not make my goal time. I had the same 5-10 guys around me the whole 56 miles and we would all go back and forth.

I should have trusted my ability on the bike and went harder when I knew I should have.
Transition 2
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Coming off of the bike I thought my knee was going to hurt, but when I started running with my bike there was no pain at all! I thought, cool, I should be ok for the run. My transition went pretty fast, but I needed to go to the bathroom pretty bad and I forgot my race number by the time I was at the end of my row, so I had to run back and get my race belt with my number and then proceed to use the bathroom. What was funny was I went to the port-a-potty three other guys looked at me and said that looks like a good idea.

Use the restroom before the race. And remember to put my racebelt in my shoes to remember to put it on first.
Run
  • 2h 01m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

There was two loops and the first loop went pretty good and I felt somewhat fresh. The second loop was completely differrent! I could not get my rythm, unitl I started running with a guy named Adam. He was hurting big time and we started to run together and the next thing I know he's talking up a storm and I didn't realize 3 1/2 mile went by. We had picked up the pace quite a bit and I realized I only had about 2 1/2 miles to go. I thought I'm going to finish a half ironman! I couldn't believe it. I signed up for this race even before I had ever done any type of triathlon. I then saw Lobo and I knew we were going to be close to each other finishing. When I caught him he said his achilles was on fire and he would be right behind me. When I was coming up to the last tenth of a mile I saw my coach and friends cheering me on and I got a burst of energy and sprinted up the hill. I then saw my wife and Lobo's wife cheering me on and then the finish line chute, what a sight! I just finihed my firs Half Ironman!

I needed to take in more Endurolytes on the bike and the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited with Lobo for the rest of the Tri group to finish and ate pizza and drank Pepsi. That Pepsi tasted GREAT! What a great day. I wish I could've seen the BT'ers again to take a picture, but next time we'll have to do it. IMAZ here I come!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Get better on my nutrition.

Event comments:

Great race, because I finished it. Great race support and friends to share this with.

Last updated: 2006-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:38 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/151
Overall: 0/947
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Zoot
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:38:48 | 56 miles | 21.16 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:01:34 | 13.1 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-31 8:58 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Soma Triathlon

2006-10-31 9:11 PM
in reply to: #584808

Elite
Subject: RE: Soma Triathlon
Great job, sounds like a good HIM race.
2006-10-31 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome job Mike- you friggin rock! Great job on accomplishing your first HIM and way to destroy that bike! How do I get some of your speed It was great meeting you- we'll have to do a race again soon so we can get that BT pic! Have an awesome time training for IMAZ!!
2006-10-31 9:47 PM

PHOENIX AZ
Nice MIke..I must have been behind you in the bike..or was that me drafting you for a bit..

great work bud,
charlie
2006-10-31 10:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Another Great race. Hard to believe we only did our first race 5 months ago and now we'll start training for (gulp) IMAZ.
2006-11-01 4:57 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Congrats on finishing your first Half Iron. You and Lobo have made done great in the past five months...you guys are animals. (Guess I need to start upping my distance to keep up with the "neighbors"). Best of luck training for IMAZ.

Be safe,
Kelly

2006-11-01 5:57 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Great job in your first HIM! Glad to hear it went so well. You're going to do great at IMAZ. Hope to see ya there!
2006-11-02 9:27 PM

User image

Albuquerque, NM

Wow!  It is amazing to do so well after only 5 months of tri training. You rock!

Many congrats. Maybe by the time I am ready to train for a half or full, I can call on you, since you will be an expert by that time. ;0)

2006-11-02 11:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Great race.  You smoked on the bike.  You'll do great at IMAZ.  Hope to see ya there.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Soma Triathlon Rss Feed