United States
Vienna Jaycees
Precipitation
Total Time = 20m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Spent a few minutes lying in bed trying to decide whether to sleep in or to head out and run in the rain/wind/cold. Decided to race.
Event warmup:

A few minutes of running from the car to the race registration and back. I did not warm up properly, but it was just miserably cold and rainy.
Run
  • 20m 4s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I was surprised at the number of people out on a nasty morning like this. I had no plan for this race. I was just going to head out and see how fast I could go.

I started around the middle of the pack. I dodged the puddles and other runners and got towards the front. I picked out three people in front of me that looked like they were in my age group and decided that I would at least try to get past them.

I passed the first person during the first .5 mile. I caught the second guy after the first mile. I caught the third guy at the turn around. He stayed with me for a few minutes and then I slowly pulled ahead. I sprinted towards the end when I heard him behind me again.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front.
Post race
Warm down:

Got inside the fire department building to warm up. Stretched and had a bottle of water and a bagel. Met someone who had just started triathlons in the last year and had a nice conversation with him.

Stuck around for the awards ceremony. I wasn't sure, but I did not think there was anyone else in front of me from my age group. What do you know, I ended up winning my age group! I got a nice medal and everything. I have never, ever come close to this before!

I am sure that if it had been a nicer day, there would have been more people racing that were faster than me that would have pushed me out of placing in my AG. But they did not show up and I did.

There was no way this course was a full 3.1 miles. I did not run quite this fast. My GPS says it was more like 2.9.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Miserable rain and nasty wind. No plan.

Event comments:

Waiting for the full results to see how many total participants there were.

Last updated: 2006-11-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:04 | 03.1 miles | 06m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. There were enough little rolling hills through this neighborhood to hurt you a bit.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-11-13 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: Vienna Jaycees 5K Turkey Trot

2006-11-13 9:48 AM
in reply to: #597524

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Vienna Jaycees 5K Turkey Trot
Awesome!! Congrats on the AG win!

Yeah, it was pretty nasty yesterday. I go lucky and had a slight break in the weather for my race. Hopefully you didn't get too wet!
2006-11-29 4:18 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Congrats on the PR under such conditions and having started back in the pack!
2006-11-30 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Very cool! Congrats on placing 1st, and you know, even if the course was a little short, you still were incredibly fast, and those people all ran the same distance you did and you beat them fair and square. Congratulations!
2006-11-30 10:18 AM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Thomas Edison once said "90% of success is showing up." Don't knock your performance--that's a great time, IMO, especially considering the course and the weather. You ran a smart race, and picked your spots. You deserve the hardware.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vienna Jaycees 5K Turkey Trot Rss Feed