Other Resources My Cup of Joe » An Inconvenient Truth Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-12-02 5:43 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: An Inconvenient Truth

I watched the Al Gore movie today, and I was pretty impressed. I have no idea how accurate any of it was, but even if it was, say, 75% accurate... then that's some scary stuff. I like how he presented the data. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

I admit I have never been the most eco-concious person. But I am going to try and do better. If nothing else, it's a good reason for me to ride my bike more instead of drive my car.

2006-12-02 10:21 PM
in reply to: #614245

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: RE: An Inconvenient Truth

Being a member of the scientif community (in atmospheric sciences) I did glance through his book.

From what I saw, what he said was "true".  He basically made large generalities and glanced over the more technical details that can make a large difference.  What he covered is really a worst case senario.  The book also does tend to skew some information.  It will list some counter arguments in different sections to make them appear additive.

Think about it like learning science in elementary school.  For instance, you learned all about gravity and that all things accelerate at the same rate.  Then later on in high school, you learn about air friction and terminal velocity, and that masreally does affect fall velocity.  Then in college you (might) learn about general relativity and that gravity is really a function of height, making understanding the issue even harder.

In this example, "An Inconvienient Truth" would be a picture book (which it really is) for preschoolers, while an acceptable version of the actual climate state would be post-doctorate work. 

I didn't get a chance to look at the reference list in the book.  I'm not even sure there is one, but I do know that he didn't include specific references within the text.

Just remember when you read/watch it, that it has not been peer reviewed, so it can't be treated as a scientific document.

If you really are interested in state of the climate, you might poke around the AMS archive.  They just recently started allowing open access to the public for all articles published before a certain year (03 I think). So just poke around here.  They do usually post some good articles on this main page:

http://ams.allenpress.com/perlserv/?request=index-html

and then there is a link at the top right to search the archive.

2006-12-02 10:51 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Saw it on a 15 hour flight to China, and it scared the bejeezus out of me. 

I won't take direct action (like joining GreenPeace, or whatever) based on it.  However, I have changed how I vote, how I view the issues, and how I behave personally based on what I saw.  I believe it was credible.

I'm not an alarmist, however, I do believe there's a place on the US's national agenda for global warming.  And it's interesting that the Supreme Court has accepted, and will be taking on their first global warming case this session.  THAT will be a fascinating opinion and decision.  I'm looking forward to it, as the opinion will be outside the purview of the white house, which has largely controlled the behaviors and legislation related to this issue, to date.

2006-12-03 3:51 PM
in reply to: #614370

Champion
South Jersey
vortmax - 2006-12-02 11:21 PM

Think about it like learning science in elementary school.  For instance, you learned all about gravity and that all things accelerate at the same rate.  Then later on in high school, you learn about air friction and terminal velocity, and that masreally does affect fall velocity.  Then in college you (might) learn about general relativity and that gravity is really a function of height, making understanding the issue even harder.

In this example, "An Inconvienient Truth" would be a picture book (which it really is) for preschoolers, while an acceptable version of the actual climate state would be post-doctorate work. 

I like how you described that. Interesting.

I haven't seen the movie, but I've been reading more about Al Gore lately and I am definitely interested in seeing it at some point. I haven't read his book, just mostly articles and interview.

2006-12-03 4:45 PM

User image

Elite
Anybody here read Michael Chriton's book on globel warming? I know I mispelled his last name and I can't remember the bame of the book, but it was a really good book that seemed to be very well researched. But that is just my very uneducated opinion.
2006-12-03 5:04 PM
in reply to: #614621

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky

mndiver - 2006-12-03 4:45 PM Anybody here read Michael Chriton's book on globel warming? I know I mispelled his last name and I can't remember the bame of the book, but it was a really good book that seemed to be very well researched. But that is just my very uneducated opinion.

The book is "State of Fear".  Crichton is a talented writer of techno-thrillers, but I wouldn't look to "State of Fear" for a grounding in climatology any more than I would read "Jurassic Park" to understand paleontology and genetics. Vortmax compared "An Inconvienent Truth" to a picture book primer.  In that context, "State of Fear" could be compared to a comic book.

If you care to wade through it, here is what climate scientists have to say about both books:

An Inconvienient Truth http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=299

State of Fear:  http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=74

Edited by tim_edwards 2006-12-03 5:05 PM

2006-12-03 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
Charleston, SC
I havent personally seen the movie but from what Ive heard, Gore is global warming what Bush is to terrorist threats.  They both present the absolute worst case senarios in order to further their causes.  Global warming is a hotly debated issue in the SCIENTIFIC community as to what the effects are.  Hypothesis' range from little impact to the climate changing much much faster than life forms can evolve to keep up.  I guess anything that doesnt cause widespread hysteria abut does help people take preventative steps is alright in my book.
2006-12-04 1:40 AM

User image

Expert
Livermore, Ca
Think about the 2 billion people in India and China plus the population of Africa that are just now connecting to the global world thier oil use is going to surge. If global warming is casued by man we're screwed.
2006-12-04 7:29 AM
in reply to: #614842

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

This article ( http://www.carolinajournal.com/print/print_issue.html?id=2592  ) cites data that show the earth's avg temp has been higher at least twice in the past 10,000 years.  People tend to view too short of a time horizon when viewing this issue.  Where I am sitting right now was covered by over a mile of ice during the last glacial event.  What melted those glaciers?  So, when John McCain goes on David Letterman's show and says he witnessed glaciers melting at the North Pole and therefore we have a catastrophe in the making I just have to shake my head.  I'm not saying human influence on the atmosphere is zero, but I believe that in the big scheme of things, this is more global cycling than global warming.  I didn't hear the full news clip, but didn't Gore go to some global warming conference in South America recently and they had record cold temperatures?

In his book The Skeptical Environmentalist, Bjorn Lomborg makes the argument that many of the climate models that predict catastrophe make very over-reaching and unrealistic assumptions.  If current meteorological models often do a terrible job of forecasting next week's weather, why shoud we put any more faith in models that attempt to predict global temps 50 years from now?  

2006-12-04 7:37 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-12-04 7:56 AM

Crystal Lake, IL

Haven't seen it yet.  I want to, but while I don't want to blindly ignore the facts it seems there is a very good chance that alarmists are taking too short of a point of view on this issue, as Birkie said.  The time frames involved in global climate changes, continental drift and evolution are mind boggling.

I wonder if there were dinosaurs arguing about their environment/resources issues when the meteor struck?

2006-12-04 8:10 AM
in reply to: #614876

Elite
Laurium, MI
Lara - 2006-12-04 6:37 AM

I for one am EXTREMELY interested in the field of energy through renewable resources..  global warming and environmental concerns aside there is a limited supply of coal, crude oil, etc. that is the backbone of our economy and lifestyle..  i think it's an economic issue to make figure out a way to produce clean, cheap, renewable power..  i'm even gearing up to go back to grad school to work on this very issue..

The big problems with renewables right now is that they don't produce the right kind of power.  Just throwing alternate power on the grid can force the voltage to go out of phase with the current and cause very bad things.  Another lesser known issue is that coal plants are most efficient when running full out.  If a coal plant is running at anything less then max output, it is still producing the same amount of waste, but with less produced power.  Which means you can't just slowly put alternative energy on the grid and turn down the coal plants.  You either have to use a main coal plant for base load and supplement that when needed with alternative sources to accomodate growing population (then wait until the coal plant dies) or have some solution that can consistantly produce (in any conditions) the same output of the coal plant.

2006-12-04 8:16 AM

Expert
New Orleans

I really enjoy seeing the different opinions on this issue. And while I am far from a scientist, to me it just seems obvious that ammount of industrial waste and ecological inefficiency we are creating won't have some kind of ill-effect on the planet.

I think that regardless of the extent of the damage that global warming is causing, the more exposure the issue can, the better.

And thanks for the analogy Vortmax. That was good info.

2006-12-04 8:37 AM

Pro
I find this debate amusing.

Let's say global warming has nothing to do with people. It's happening all by itself, and nothing we are doing has a significant impact.

What are the things that people are being asked to do to prevent global warming, and can humans benefit from doing these things? Let's see, we are being asked to burn less fossil fuel (reduce our dependence on oil), pollute less, use more renewable energy resources, recycle, be more energy efficient....

So, once we get past all this bullsh!t about whether or not it's happening, and I really think it's politically motivated bullsh!t, why would we not change the way we live in order to be healthier, live longer and leave the world better than we found it? Why would you not want more greenspaces for your kids? Why would you not want them to breathe cleaner air?

If the side effect happens to be that we slow down the global warming trend (even though we were sure it wasn't caused by us) so much the better, but there are so many other good reasons to act like we are causing global warming, if only in the interests of the health of our children.
2006-12-04 8:55 AM
in reply to: #614918

Crystal Lake, IL

Opus - 2006-12-04 8:37 AM I find this debate amusing. Let's say global warming has nothing to do with people. It's happening all by itself, and nothing we are doing has a significant impact. What are the things that people are being asked to do to prevent global warming, and can humans benefit from doing these things? Let's see, we are being asked to burn less fossil fuel (reduce our dependence on oil), pollute less, use more renewable energy resources, recycle, be more energy efficient.... So, once we get past all this bullsh!t about whether or not it's happening, and I really think it's politically motivated bullsh!t, why would we not change the way we live in order to be healthier, live longer and leave the world better than we found it? Why would you not want more greenspaces for your kids? Why would you not want them to breathe cleaner air? If the side effect happens to be that we slow down the global warming trend (even though we were sure it wasn't caused by us) so much the better, but there are so many other good reasons to act like we are causing global warming, if only in the interests of the health of our children.

Take your line of thinking one step further.  It takes time, money, people and energy to do all of this research, on both sides of the issue, to argue about global warming.  Wouldn't we all benefit more if more of that time, money, people and energy went toward promoting the things we could all be doing to be more eco-friendly?  Seems like a no brainer, right?  But then people who say we don't need to worry about global warming in the first place might say that the time/energy/etc. spent on an issue we aren't even sure about would be better spent on other issues like medical research, education, etc.  So then we are back to trying to prove the issue one way or the other which is possibly impossible. 

I agree with you that individually there's not much of a good reason NOT to try to be more green.

2006-12-04 9:47 AM
in reply to: #614876

Expert
Livermore, Ca
Lara - 2006-12-04 8:37 AM
i'm even gearing up to go back to grad school to work on this very issue..

Are you going to go to the engineering or science side? They both need help.

2006-12-04 10:02 AM
in reply to: #614904

2006-12-04 10:05 AM
in reply to: #614994

2006-12-04 10:08 AM
in reply to: #614994

Elite
Laurium, MI

If you are going....go to a science school.  Engineering schools tend to focus on getting rid of problems.  Science schools actually analyze the problem for what it is, get an actual understanding of it, then decide how to deal with it.

I'm all for cleaning up the environment.  The way I see all of this unfolding is as follows:

The natural advancment of man has been followed by increases in technology.  We went from building fire for warmth, to having high efficency furnaces in insulated homes.  In the future, we will have alternate sources of energy.  We have to, especially to deal with the growing population.  However, there will not be some miracle invention that will suddenly deal with our energy problem.  It is going to take time, effort and a combination of technologies to make it work.  Our current power grid uses coal plants as a backbone and smaller, less efficiet coal, oil and natural gas plants to supplement base load when needed.  One plan calls for replacing those supplement plants with green alternatives.  One such plan involves the introduction of wind farms near hydro sights.  When the coal plant is meeting base load, extra power from the wind turbine is used to pump water back into the resevoir.  When extra load is needed, instead of firing up a smaller, more polluting plant, you turn to a combo of hydro and wind.  The capacatence of the hydro-wind system is really powerfull, but not strong enough to provide 100% of the power.  A scheme like that could easily last until technology improves and we find something else with the constant power output of coal and would easily drop emmissions.  The problem is that we can't just go out and build these plants tomorrow and have them online the next day, and that's what many (like gore) want to see happen. 

And the person who made the comment about us being a minor disturbance in geologic history is right.  The only thing we are hurting is ourselves.  Looking at the earth system...species die, new ones take their place.  If the earth didn't see a mass extinction or two, humans probably wouldn't have been able to take hold and progress like we have.  Climate change is a change.  You can't look at it as "bad for the world."  It's just "different" for the world.  Good and bad are human emotions and apply to us.

I also see it as, if us messing with the earth system really is responsible for a mass warming, what's going to happen if we keep messing with the system by suddenly pulling carbon out of the atmosphere.  Non-linear systems (especially chaotic ones) cannot evolve backward in time.  As soon as you go forward, the state of the system changes so that returning your conditions to a previous level result in an entirely new state of the system.  Dropping carbon could be just as bad (or worse) then increasing carbon.  I really think we should focus more on the stuff we know we can fix now.  Things like water pollution, air quality (particulants, aerosols, ground level nox/sox/o3,ect), land pollution before getting in a huff over CO2 levels.  It's like freaking out that your 5 miles late changing your oil while your car is on fire.

2006-12-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: #615026

2006-12-04 10:46 AM

Crystal Lake, IL

(global warming.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
global warming.JPG (40KB - 20 downloads)

2006-12-04 11:39 AM

Master
Colorado

This is a topic that always surprises me in how people react.  It is a no-brainer to me.  I watched the movie (which I suggest everyone do, no matter what your opinion) and it wasn't surprising.  I just want to see some possible solutions.

Now, the next night, I watched "Who killed the electric car?"  THAT deserves its own thread.  Every five minutes I swear I said "what?  is that true?  could that really be?  what?"  I went to bed angry.

2006-12-04 2:51 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Yeah who killed the Electric Car could be it's own thread. I can't believe that they just scrapped all those cars. You could also watch Manufactured Landscapes. While not directly addressing global warming, it does show you the effect of some of our decisions on the environment.
2006-12-08 10:34 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Interesting reading.  If you don't have time for all 27 pages, read pg 13 and the last 2 pages

http://www.lavoisier.com.au/papers/articles/hurricanes1.pdf

Edited by Birkierunner 2006-12-08 10:39 AM
2006-12-09 8:02 AM
in reply to: #614918

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you seem to be stating the ends justify the means. This is the same logic the Bush Administration has used in Iraq. Promote a worst case scenario (Iraq's connections to Al'Quida and human's direct negative effect on climate) and then when it doesn't turn out the way you want it to, find another reason why it's good and forget that the lie started the whole thing.

I agree that we should be more effecient in general, but let's be honest about it to begin with.

Opus - 2006-12-04 8:37 AM

I find this debate amusing.

Let's say global warming has nothing to do with people. It's happening all by itself, and nothing we are doing has a significant impact.

What are the things that people are being asked to do to prevent global warming, and can humans benefit from doing these things? Let's see, we are being asked to burn less fossil fuel (reduce our dependence on oil), pollute less, use more renewable energy resources, recycle, be more energy efficient....

So, once we get past all this bullsh!t about whether or not it's happening, and I really think it's politically motivated bullsh!t, why would we not change the way we live in order to be healthier, live longer and leave the world better than we found it? Why would you not want more greenspaces for your kids? Why would you not want them to breathe cleaner air?

If the side effect happens to be that we slow down the global warming trend (even though we were sure it wasn't caused by us) so much the better, but there are so many other good reasons to act like we are causing global warming, if only in the interests of the health of our children.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » An Inconvenient Truth Rss Feed  

of 2