General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobic Threshold, HR Zones, etc... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-16 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Aerobic Threshold, HR Zones, etc...
Hi everyone, I was debating whether or not to start a new thread or continue my other one... I opted to start a new one because it's slightly off-topic from my original (which is here). Anyhoo...

There's lots of talk about the various HR zones and Aerobic Threshold, Lactate Threshold, etc. From some of my research, it seems it's more or less in everyone's best interest to do a majority of their training at or below their Aerobic Threshold to build the ever so important aerobic base. After reading various articles and applying that to my training, it seems one's aerobic threshold typically falls at the top of Friel's HR Zone 1. One way to gauge this is the point during exercise where you typically start to breathe a little deeper. For me that happens right around 150bpm, which is the top-end of my HR Zone 1, so that makes sense.

Now, I've also heard some buzz about doing a bulk of the training in HR Zone 2 (one thread that comes to mine is the "cult of kicking a$$" thread with a ton of Z1/Z2 training success stories). Going by Friel's HR zones, this is slightly above the aerobic threshold, in my case it tops out ~10 bpm higher.

Now, as a type-A person who can easily get caught up in the numbers I'm asking myself, which is better? Does it make more sense to train at/below AeT? Or is bumping my HR up to Zone 2 more efficient and yield better results? What's the difference? Are there different benefits to training in either zone (above or below AeT)? Am I making any sense?

It's really easy to get wrapped around the axle with all this and the truth of the matter is, I can still go out and run and benefit either way... but this is something that I've been wondering about, especially over the past few days.

2007-01-16 10:30 AM
in reply to: #656209

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Aerobic Threshold, HR Zones, etc...
It sounds like you're talking about the Aerobic Threshold as defined in Gordo Byrn's 'Aerobic Threshold Summary' article. I like his system, especially for those just starting out, because it doesn't require a hard effort testing session to find it's target HR zones. Whether or not it's the 'better' system could be discussed endlessly.

Edited the link to name a better article. Gordo refers to AeT in several.

Edited by Micawber 2007-01-16 10:37 AM
2007-01-16 11:14 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
I assume that the aerobic threshold you are refering to is the one that Gordo discusses - which is usually described as the top of zone 1. After reading as much of the training advice on the various forums that exist, the basic reason that comes up for training no higher than this level is to allow you to do lots of volume. Zone 1 has the lowest recovery cost, so you can do lots of z1 training without having to spend too much time recovering (or injured). Mike Ricci addressed that in this thread where he talks about the difference between the zones as explain on the D3 site and here. Basically, novice athletes should not try to do too much too soon.

Shane
2007-01-16 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Ah yes, it looks like you guys are right. It appears that what I thought were different articles are just excerpts and re-hashings from Coach Gordo. Thanks for the clarification.

I've been doing all my running in Zone 1 over the last few months (thought I was in Zone 2, but turns out I had some faulty LT test data - oops!). I'm curious to see what it feels like to kick it up to Zone 2.

Thanks again!
2007-01-16 2:06 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

Carl Carlson - 2007-01-16 7:56 AM Hi everyone, I was debating whether or not to start a new thread or continue my other one... I opted to start a new one because it's slightly off-topic from my original (which is here). Anyhoo... There's lots of talk about the various HR zones and Aerobic Threshold, Lactate Threshold, etc. From some of my research, it seems it's more or less in everyone's best interest to do a majority of their training at or below their Aerobic Threshold to build the ever so important aerobic base. After reading various articles and applying that to my training, it seems one's aerobic threshold typically falls at the top of Friel's HR Zone 1. One way to gauge this is the point during exercise where you typically start to breathe a little deeper. For me that happens right around 150bpm, which is the top-end of my HR Zone 1, so that makes sense. Now, I've also heard some buzz about doing a bulk of the training in HR Zone 2 (one thread that comes to mine is the "cult of kicking a$$" thread with a ton of Z1/Z2 training success stories). Going by Friel's HR zones, this is slightly above the aerobic threshold, in my case it tops out ~10 bpm higher. Now, as a type-A person who can easily get caught up in the numbers I'm asking myself, which is better? Does it make more sense to train at/below AeT? Or is bumping my HR up to Zone 2 more efficient and yield better results? What's the difference? Are there different benefits to training in either zone (above or below AeT)? Am I making any sense? It's really easy to get wrapped around the axle with all this and the truth of the matter is, I can still go out and run and benefit either way... but this is something that I've been wondering about, especially over the past few days.

Carl - good thoughts and I am glad you did some reading as you have some very good questions. As a beginner - Zone 1, day after day, is all you need to improve. Once you feel as though you are kind of plateauing you can add in some Zone 2 - that's the way I usually work it. For most experienced athletes the mid to top of Z2 is aerobic threshold whereas for a beginner the Aerobic threshold might be in Zone 1.

So  if you want to test your self - warm up in Z1, then run 10-12 minutes in Z2 - recover, repeat. Next time out try 12-15 minutes and so on. You'll know the next day if you went too hard. ;-)

2007-01-16 2:46 PM
in reply to: #656643

User image

Veteran
Tucson, AZ
mikericci - 2007-01-16 3:06 PM

Carl - good thoughts and I am glad you did some reading as you have some very good questions. As a beginner - Zone 1, day after day, is all you need to improve. Once you feel as though you are kind of plateauing you can add in some Zone 2 - that's the way I usually work it. For most experienced athletes the mid to top of Z2 is aerobic threshold whereas for a beginner the Aerobic threshold might be in Zone 1.

So if you want to test your self - warm up in Z1, then run 10-12 minutes in Z2 - recover, repeat. Next time out try 12-15 minutes and so on. You'll know the next day if you went too hard. ;-)

Mike, thanks for the response. Looking back at my logs since October I thought I'd been making good progress. As it turns out, my min/mile pace (for Z1) has dropped a little bit (~20 secs maybe?). I guess the biggest difference I've noticed is that I'm able to stay in Z1 and hold a steady pace over longer distances now. Initially my min/mile pace would increase after a couple miles, but now I can hold that pace and zone even towards the end of my long runs. It sounds like now might be a good time to start working at Z2 and see how that feels.

Oh, I also read the article on your site about bike and run pacing as it relates to the various HR zones and aerobic threshold - definitely a good read. That just confirms what I've recently come to realize (I've been doing all my runs in Z1). I'm kind of excited to see how I manage in Z2 now.

2007-01-16 3:10 PM
in reply to: #656726

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Carl Carlson - 2007-01-16 12:46 PM
mikericci - 2007-01-16 3:06 PM Carl - good thoughts and I am glad you did some reading as you have some very good questions. As a beginner - Zone 1, day after day, is all you need to improve. Once you feel as though you are kind of plateauing you can add in some Zone 2 - that's the way I usually work it. For most experienced athletes the mid to top of Z2 is aerobic threshold whereas for a beginner the Aerobic threshold might be in Zone 1.

So if you want to test your self - warm up in Z1, then run 10-12 minutes in Z2 - recover, repeat. Next time out try 12-15 minutes and so on. You'll know the next day if you went too hard. ;-)

Mike, thanks for the response. Looking back at my logs since October I thought I'd been making good progress. As it turns out, my min/mile pace (for Z1) has dropped a little bit (~20 secs maybe?). I guess the biggest difference I've noticed is that I'm able to stay in Z1 and hold a steady pace over longer distances now. Initially my min/mile pace would increase after a couple miles, but now I can hold that pace and zone even towards the end of my long runs. It sounds like now might be a good time to start working at Z2 and see how that feels. Oh, I also read the article on your site about bike and run pacing as it relates to the various HR zones and aerobic threshold - definitely a good read. That just confirms what I've recently come to realize (I've been doing all my runs in Z1). I'm kind of excited to see how I manage in Z2 now.

Carl - congrats on the improvement! I think you could use a taste of Z2 in your workouts - just to change the flavor a little. Good luck.

2007-01-16 4:59 PM
in reply to: #656778

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I'm just curious Mike, or anyone, if you have any comments about basing training intensity on "the first opening of breath" or a HR adjusted from that point.

It seems like a safe and painless method. Perhaps if someone was recovering from an injury, new to running, or otherwise uncomfortable with doing a LT test?

In the linked Byrn article, it seems that "first opening of breath" often varies from the top of Z1. Could it be a better, or at least an additional, reference point for low intensity training?

Edited by Micawber 2007-01-16 5:14 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aerobic Threshold, HR Zones, etc... Rss Feed