Racing Underground
28F / -2C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got ready the night before by switching out the smoothie tires on the MTB for some knobbies. And since I hadn't ridden it in a LOOOOONG time, put the pedals on it.
Event warmup:

Got to race a little behind schedule, so my warmup ocnsisted of a jog to the bathroom and then back to the transisition area
Run
  • 15m
  • 1.5 miles
  • 10m  min/mile
Comments:

So much for play time, this first 1.5 miles was rough. Started out on packed snow which wasn't so bad, but then moved to "trail" marked by little orange flags. If it weren't for the flags and the footprints from racers ahead of me, I probably would gotten off course. Lots of powdery crap and sank through snow up to my knees on several occacions. On top of that, it was slick so you really weren't sure if you were going to slip or sink. Tough run but it really was fun.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe wear snow shoes??
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was pretty slow in this transition as a couple guys passed me here and I never saw them again.

Just wear my running shoes and use regular cage pedals rather than the SPDs.
Bike
  • 35m
  • 8 miles
  • 13.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, I was having fun and the ride out was good even though I got passed by a couple guys.

I only fell on one corner when my front wheel washed out. No biggie, just hopped back on and continued on my way. The rest of the 1st bike leg was great, I maintained what I thought was a good cadence and was only passed by 2 guys on cyclo cross bikes. I got into the transition area slipping and slidding in the softish snow pack but managed not to fall again.

So after running and transitioning to the last leg of the bike I felt good. I got on the road and was holding a great pace when about 4 miles into the ride, I'm pedaling along and my left foot comes loose. I look down and the pedal is still attached to my shoe. Unfortunately the other end of the pedal was no longer attached to the crank, so I did a one-legged drill for about a 1/2 mile, had enough of that and then stopped to try and reattach the pedal w/ no tools. It didn't work. I got passed by a whole butt load of people while working on it and finally changed my shoes to run. Immediately, I'm running up the steepes hill of the course pushing my bike. Good news is I hopped on the bike for the down hill and thought "Well maybe I can carry the speed from the down hill far enough and then run the last few miles" At the bottom of the hill, I decided that was a stupid idea and just walked directly to my car. My legs were toast and I had gone from super pissed, to laughing my a$$ off, to "oh well, I did what I could."

Add more air to the tires. The were only at 40-45 PSI - stupid move. But I'll stick to my fun theme here - I was having a ball :)

Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Racked my bike and changed shoes. Left my helmet on as I had seen others do. Don't know why I didn't do this for the first run cuz it would have saved time in the transition. In and out in a matter of seconds
Run
  • 20m
  • 2.5 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

The 2.5 mile run was actually easier than the the first leg, but that's not saying much. While the snow wasn't deep at all here, it was mostly a single track of snow pack. It was very rough and snowpacked, but felt great in comparison. Took short steps and kept my turnover high. I actually passed a few folks here and also got passed by a woman who I'm virtually certain won overall, cuz she went by me at nearly a dead run. At this point of the race, I think I was doing pretty well. I was certainly holding my own and was ready to get on the bike and start making up some time.

Wear some Yak Tracks?? I think that's what Cathy called them. I called them "springy things w/ some nasty coil looking things on the bottom of your shoe." Cathy obviously had a better idea of what she was talking about. Other than that, this run was virtually perfect. Of course I don't know for sure because I had to way to time it since my watch had died.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up w/ Mark just after the race and had some hot chocolate and just chatted w/ folks. I even got a transition chair which I had completely written off because I thought I'd signed up too late. Saw Cathy finish and the 3 of us all chatted for a bit over hot chocolate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of a proper mechanic - I'm firing the one I hired for this race. The dumbass that works in my garage sucks :)

Event comments:

This whole race series is low on frills but high on the fun factor. The RD has a never say die attitude for these races in the result for this race was an event I'll always remember because of the insane run conditions. Good times.

Last updated: 2007-01-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:00 | 01.5 miles | 10m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
None - my watch died (I need to send it back to Timex) as usual, so I have no timing information. Not a big deal today though, because I just wanted to go out and play!!
Course: Loop through park area on what normally is not a trail at all.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:35:00 | 08 miles | 13.71 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Since there were 2 legs of the bike, we rode out, did another run and then back to the bikes to ride to the finish. This is where things got bad.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:00 | 02.5 miles | 08m  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back single track of roughly packed snow
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-21 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #2

2007-01-21 9:59 AM
in reply to: #662179

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #2
Great report Ben.  You summed it up nicely.  It was a fun challenging day.  Again I am sorry your pedal stayed on your shoe and not your bike.  Good effort overall.
2007-01-21 3:35 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
What a visual of the pedal attached to your foot and not the crank!  LOL!  Funny stuff.  (but not when you are racing).  Dang, 1/2 mile of one-legging it must have been interesting.  Fun day, and even with the bike hassle, you did great!
2007-01-22 12:48 PM

Pro
AZ

The peddal still attached to your shoe?  Yeah....you need to totally fire that mechanic!  He hosed you!! Hahaha!  Glad you were able to work through it and just have fun.  Like I tell my son all the time "You cannot always control what happens to you, but you CAN control how you react to it."   Sucks that it happened, but glad you turned it into a fun day anyhow.

So did you get chilly cheeks?

2007-01-22 12:57 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Congrats!!! I think anyone that did these cold-a$$ runs is awesome!  Hard core for sure!

sorry about the pedal....

2007-01-22 8:52 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
It's all about that silver lining   Nice way to enjoy a tough day - I'm glad you could make it fun!!  And tell that mechanic to stay away from MY bikes

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #2 Rss Feed