Buttar Inc.
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 06m 55s
Overall Rank = 13/49
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

The day started out quite uneventfully as Jess and I made our way out of the hotel towards the race site. Since I didn’t know exactly where it was, we asked some girls who we saw with race Tshirts on and they let us follow them out to Christmas. That’s where the uneventful nature of the day ended. As we pulled into the park, there was a kid, no more than 20 years old, directing traffic off to the side of the road on a grass shelf next to a ditch. Unfortunately, being pitch black, he did not see that that shelf he was directing us onto was no more than 5 feet wide. As I pulled off the road, the car slid down the embankment and into the ditch, which was full of water. So at that point, my car was straddling the edge of the grass shelf, with my passenger side tires and Jess’s door in the water. Upon uttering some expletives, I got out of the car only to see that three other people had done the same. The guy behind me was yelling at the parking kid, telling him that he pretty much directed us into a ditch…which he kinda did, although he really didn’t know how narrow the shelf was, so I can’t really blame him. Anyway, Jess climbed over her seat, over the console, over my seat, and out the drive door while I held it from slamming shut because of its position. Because of the stress of this, I forgot to get my iPod, race belt, watch, HRM, and Gatorade from the car. This would actually prove to be an advantage later on.
Event warmup:

We walked down a road that seemed to never end and finally came upon the packet pickup area where we heard the announcer say “…marathon start in 3 minutes.” I had to use the portapotty in the worst way so we got our numbers and chips and headed for the plastic outhouses. The race started while I was still inside.
Run
  • 4h 06m 55s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

After exiting the portapotty, I ran up to the front of the group and let the director know I was with the full marathon. He said…”ummm…go.” So I started running. The last group of marathoners was still in sight so I ran hard to catch up with them. The first group of people I came upon were four Marathon Maniacs. I knew a couple of them from previous races. A girl with brown hair, I think her name was Corinne, and a guy I’ve seen numerous times, “50 States Harry”. He’s awesome. I waved and greeted the group as I ran by. I still felt naked because I had no equipment with me. The trail was mostly dirt with some sand. It was soft with grass at some points, and mostly unmarked but followed some ruts where vehicles had driven. As I reached Mile 1, I saw the timer. It said 00:09:23 so I knew I wasn’t too far off my pace even though I started late. I continued to run hard. I decided at that point to put the problem of my car being in a ditch out of my mind and worry about it later. The trails became more and more grassy but still followed a road-like path. There were small mile markers on the trail but I didn’t see one every mile. At Mile 4, I’d felt like I’d been out there for a longer time that I really had and that’s when I realized I hadn’t really taken in any calories other than the energy drink I downed while walking to the packet pickup area. I started to feel dizzy. Was I bonking at Mile 4??? Soon after that there was an aid station. I ran thru it, but grabbed two gels, a cup of Gatorade which I drank immediately, and a cup of water to wash the gels down with. I ate one gel upon finishing the Gatorade and chased it with the cup of water. About 5 minutes later I took the other gel. Another mile and a half down the trail, at the turnaround point, there was another aid station. I took another gel and another cup of water. My energy was returning. I saw Jess out on the course and we whooped and laughed and gave each other some encouragement. I ran back to aid station where I finished Lap 1 and started Lap 2 with much more energy.

Upon starting Lap 2, I took another gel, and chased it with water. I hit the Mile 9 marker at 1:15:30. I was still in good shape. I felt great and was glad I had the idea of using lots of gel to bring my energy back. On this lap I saw Jess again and we had a quick word about calling a tow truck when she got done with her half marathon. At that point, I thought to myself…it’s insured…if it falls in the ditch, then so be it. It’s just a car. I kept going and feeling good. I took a gel and water at the next three aid stations. After this, I started drinking Gatorade because the gels were adding up and starting to upset my stomach. Lap 2 was pretty uneventful for the most part. I made sure I cheered the other Maniacs as I passed them by. So far I was the fastest Maniac in the race.

Lap 3 got a little more difficult. I started taking gels again. Jess was done with her race so I had no one to look forward to running with. At mile 16, the timer said 2:27:51 so I was still in good shape, but my legs were feeling a bit tired. I still hadn’t stopped to walk yet. Another Maniac (Rick Korecki, Maniac #106) caught up with me and ran with me for a bit. We chatted about running trails and how the Disney Marathon is hell on a runner’s feet and knees. He told me it was really awesome seeing more Maniacs in Florida. After about 5 minutes he picked up the pace and left me behind. At about Mile 20 I started slowing down because my legs felt a bit stiff. No ITB pain, no quad pain, but my hip flexor started to flare up a bit. I started feeling like I was shuffling. But I kept going. I’m sure my splits went into the 11s here, but I had no timer. I took two more gels at the next aid station. Those would be the last two I’d be able to stomach. After eating those two gels, my belly started yelling at me. So I laid off of them. But they did their job and at Mile 23 I started picking up the pace again. I ran past Mile 24 where I met up with a girl who looked like she was having a hard time. She asked if she could pace with me, which of course was fine, so we ran together and chatted a while. This was the end of the third full lap and the start of the fourth, which was an abbreviated version of the first three. At about 24.5 we both stopped to walk. I had almost made it a full marathon without walking, but I really needed to breathe for a few minutes. My stomach was killing me. I felt like I had loads of energy but my legs were stiff and my stomach was upset. We walked to just past the timer at approximately 24.75 miles which said 3:54:27. During the race, there was a guy that I’d been doing the pass you/pass me thing with and during our walk, he passed me. He was not running fast at all and I knew I could catch him. So, I told her at that point that I wanted to catch that guy and I took off. Just past Mile 25, I caught him and put a good distance between us. I ran hard for that last mile and saw that I had at least a minute or two lead on him just in that last half mile. I must have been flying, or he really slowed down even more after I passed him. I ran past Mile 26, and saw that I had really caught up with Rick, who had at least a 5 minute lead on me at one point. I’d made up all but about 40 seconds of that in the last few miles of the race. This was the most significant late-in-the-race push I’ve ever accomplished. I sprinted to the finish line, crossing in 4:06:55, four seconds better than my 2006 Gasparilla Marathon time, which was a road race. My goal here was to run a trail marathon in the same time I ran the Disney Marathon (a road race of course, ran it in 4:20) two weeks before. I really blew it away. It turns out the guy that I caught up with at Mile 25 was in my age group and by beating him I secured a second place AG finish. He came in more than three minutes behind me.

What would you do differently?:

Remember my nutrition BEFORE the race...but really, I think my strategy for getting my energy back will work well as a regular race strategy and might help me break 4 hours again.
Post race
Warm down:

After it was over, my legs really felt sore. I tried to stretch a bit but they were really tight. So I had some water and Gatorade, met up with Jess, who cheered me in at the finish, and sat down a bit. I asked her if I still had a car and she told me that one of the guys with a big truck pulled everyone out. So I went over and shook his hand, thanked him, and had a little laugh at my expense. After a little bit of resting and a quick chat with Rick, I was anxious to leave and get home. So we gathered our stuff, I changed my shirt, and we headed on out in my muddy dirty car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of pre-race nutrition due to car-in-the-ditch stress.

Event comments:

This isn't the best race management company, but they're certainly not the worst. I was less dissatisfied with this race than I was with the Wild Man Tri last year. I did think the race fees were way expensive ($70) for the quality of the race, but they did have unlimited supplies of gels, and you don't always see that in small-name races. I'd do this one again, only because it was an enjoyable course and a beautiful day.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-05 12:00 AM
Running
04:06:55 | 26.2 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 13/49
Performance: Good
Course: Three loops of approximately 8 miles, and then a short loop to make up the remainder of the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-24 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: Orlando Extreme Marathon

2007-01-24 10:28 AM
in reply to: #666188

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
Subject: RE: Orlando Extreme Marathon
Dude, you are the effing man! Hey next time I am in a long line at a restaurant, do you mind if I drop your name to get a faster table? Did Jess have your car clean for you when you finished? I'm glad to see you both got through it all without any injuries.
2007-01-24 10:36 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Congrats on a great race.  Sorry about the car, I'm sure that would through anyone for a loop prepping for the race.

Glad it worked out well, though.

2007-01-24 3:53 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Wow- great race!  Glad it all worked out with your car.  I can't believe you just ran Disney and a few weeks later you're able to run a trail marathon!  Truly amazing!
2007-01-24 6:03 PM
in reply to: #666786

User image

Expert
New Mexico
I had to double check that you ran another marathon a couple of weeks after Disney...I'm wondering if that falls into some sort of Super Mickey / Ultra Goofy catagory.

Good job. Sorry to hear about the car-in-ditch.
2007-01-24 8:05 PM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
Nice Race!  Good job putting the car in the ditch behind you.

2007-01-24 9:53 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

nice race.  CAn't help but chuckle at the differences in climate between this race and this weekend's race.....

Yep, Maniac!  Maniac on the floor, and he's runnin' like he's never run before.......

ugh, was that terrible?  couldn't help it.  :p

2007-01-24 11:32 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Great  race!  I'll hopefully be a maniac by the end of next January. 
2007-01-25 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
You are an absolute MADMAN! It seems like every time I am scrolling through the race reports I see you have run another marathon, ultra, etc. Awesome job! Very inspiring.
2007-01-25 11:34 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Once again, you effin' rock.  A maniac, indeed!
2007-01-25 5:33 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
I wish we had a picture of the car in the ditch! Great job, stud!! Wildman, here we come!

2007-01-30 2:19 AM

, Alabama

Great jo Jeff!  Marathons every other weekend?  Does that mean in two weeks you're going for it again?!??

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Orlando Extreme Marathon Rss Feed