General Discussion Race Reports! » 11th Annual Pacific Shoreline - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

11th Annual Pacific Shoreline - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Huntington Beach, California
United States
Pacific Shoreline Marathon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 38s
Overall Rank = 2046/7386
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 249/558
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and ate 1/2 bagel with peanut butter and a bar. Drove to the shuttle stop parked and waited for the bus. It was freezing! Caught the third bus and got dropped off!
Event warmup:

Hit the porta-john and then did some stretching. Said good bye and good luck to my wife and made my way to the 9/mile coral for the start.
Run
  • 1h 57m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a hard time leading up to the race trying to figure out what I wanted to do. Ever since I've gotten a HR monitor I've been trying to run in zone 2. I also wanted to try and finish in under two hours. The way I've been training I didn't think the two things were going to mesh. I never really figured out how I was going to approach the race. I thought that if I ran at the top end of z2 or maybe creep into z3 that I would have a shot. That didn't exactly pan out. I've had a cold since last Thursday that I've been conveniently been ignoring. Sunday morning I was a bit worse than the previous days but what was I going to do?

Anyway, I hadn't run 500 yards before my HR was already way out of control. I wasn't going extremely fast but thought I'd try to slow down and see if I could get it back into z2. I slowed down to BARELY a jog and it was still a close to z3. During this time people were passing me left and right and I felt like it would take me 5 hours to finish. At that point I basically tossed caution to the wind and took off. I was running at a pretty comfortable pace and didn't feel winded or tired or anything but whenever I'd look at my watch it told me I was in the 170's. After that I just ignored it. I started drinking water fairly early in the race and that's something I normally don't do, but because of my condition I thought it would be helpful. At about the 1/2 way point I started sucking down a GU pack. I think it gave me a little boost and gave me something to concentrate on during the longest uphill portion of the course. I also spent a lot of time watching the runners behind me making there way to the turning point because my wife was running as well. I finally saw her and we gave each other a wave and a smile.

One neat thing about the race was that in between mile 8 and 9 it took us up and around a residential area and the road went right past my friends backyard. He and his wife and kids were hanging out and cheering on the runners. I yelled up at him and told him to grab me a beer. He laughed and they all started yelling up a storm and it gave me some good energy. I yelled up and told him my wife was about 25 minutes behind and I found out later they gave her a great big cheer as well. It was nice as they were the only people out cheering on the runners. It really is amazing what a little encouragement can do for your energy level.

After that point I figured out that I was right on pace to finish at about 2 hours. I concetrated on really trying to pick up my pace on the down hills and just keep on plugging on the flats. With 2.2 miles to go I had about 22 minutes to go acording to my watch but decided I need to pick it up in case my watch wasn't correct. I was so close that I really didn't want to regret not meeting my goal. The last mile for sure I gave just about everything I had. I knew I was tired and I knew I was exerting a lot of engery but I went for it. Unfortunately at that time I heard a ton of sirens and saw and ambulence and fire truck pull up and stop about 20 yards in front of me. I then passed a man that was lying down in the grass with people all around him. I hope he was ok, I never heard anything.

Right after this I heard on a loud speaker that all the runners needed to move to their left. It turns out the marathon winner was passing us all and headed to the finish line himself. I heard the announcer welcome him in as the winner. I finished a few minutes after him and ended up meeting my goal!

It was really quite amazing to see the marathon finisher cruise right by me and finish his race before me when he only started a 1/2 hour earlier. Crazy stuff
What would you do differently?:

Try not to be sick and pick different clothes. It was 43 degrees at 5:30 and I was cold. When we were picking up our race bibs the day before it was windy and a bit chilly so we thought that tights and a long sleeve running shirt would suffice. We froze in the morning and then during the run got to hot.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a water, recovery drink and an apple. Stretched and waited for my wife to finsih.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides being sick I had to pee at about the 1/2 way point. Because I wanted to break 2 hours I didn't go because I thought that the extra time would ruin me. I think I guessed correctly although it was on my mind a lot and probably didn't help me out.

Event comments:

I think this was a great event. I had never done a 1/2 and had never been a part of a race this big, but I thought it went very well. There was a lot of parking, a lot of shuttles and a lot of volunteers. Overall I think it was very organized for what could have been chaos!

Last updated: 2006-11-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:57:38 | 13.1 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 249/558
Overall: 2046/7386
Performance: Good
AVG HR - 173 Max HR - 196
Course: Nice course, relatively flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-05 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: 11th Annual Pacific Shoreline - Half Marathon

2007-02-05 12:48 PM
in reply to: #679761

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: 11th Annual Pacific Shoreline - Half Marathon

Great job Jeff!! You now have a half mary under your belt!!  You did it in a great time too!!!  Again, way to go!

I was overdressed for my first half as well.  Next time wear layers that you are willing to part with.  As you run your strip them off and drop them on the curb. They will pick them up after the race and donate them to goodwill or something.  Live and learn!

2007-02-05 1:08 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Awesome Race Report.

I think I saw the family in the backyard that you are talking about and they were cheering people on!

Tell them thanks. Makes a difference.

Cheers,
Mark
2007-02-05 2:25 PM

User image

first half mary sub 2 and you've been sick?  Way to go Jeff!!!!

And yes, grey Loyola Law sweatshirt, blue knit cap with Canada on it, in potty line.  That was me

2007-02-05 3:31 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Hey, glad to hear that you finished your first Half Marathon and did it inside of your goal time

This really was a great race with excellent weather and surroundings. I have yet to read a RR where someone was dissapointed.

Oh, and I overdressed for my 1st half also. It is very easy to do with Spring/Fall races here in SoCal where the temp swings are large. I usually dress for warm weather now and wear a Trash Bag at the start if I am cold. (I did not need one yesterday)

I am bumbed that I did not get to meet you at the race. I had a very busy week and did not put the time in to organize a race day FE. (I chatted with Chris Briefly)

I missed my opportunity to meet up with a bunch of the Cool Kids from BT

I probably saw you finish but of course, did not know what you looked like. I was watching the finish line for some friends when the 1st place marathoner came through. (I also got to see the 1st place female finisher and wheelchair finishers)

Your so close that I am certain I will see you at another local race at some point.

FWIW: I have tried to use my HR a few times to control race pace and could never make it work. Then I read several articles by Pete Pfitzinger (Olympic Marathoner, Running Coach and Author of Advanced Marathoning) and he said that several recent studies have suggested that using HR to gauge pace during a race usually results in Sub-Par performance.

He recommends instead that you use a recent race time or a time trial to set your pace. (Based on Daniel's Running Formula) This has surely worked for me and many of the peeps over on RT. (But not so much here on BT I guess)

Recover well and very nicely done
2007-02-05 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

You should be so proud of yourself! Sub two hours is awesome for your first race! Well done, completely well done.

Next time why don't you just pee on yourself, like you're on a bike. Hahahahaha

2007-02-05 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California

Jeff, your first half mary is so impressive!  Being sick can really play games with your mind on how well you think you can perform and you just stomped all over that.  Good for you.  I agree, people cheering you on feels so great, I wish there were more of them at all the races.

It was kinda like dejavu reading about your HRM snaffoos, cause for a minute I thought I already read your race report but it seemed different.  Then I realized someone else had the same issue!  I didn't wear mine during my race and I think now I shall make a habit of that.  Funny how technology isn't always the best thing huh? 

Glad you and your wife were able to enjoy a great race day together!

2007-02-05 8:19 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Thats awesome that you and your wife ran together!  How fun!  Glad you made it under you goal time of two hours even with your sickiness the past few days.    Isn't it crazy how fast those FOP marathon runners run!  Its sick!
2007-02-05 9:59 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

Wow--under 2 h in your first 1/2--Impressive!  Great job!.

2007-02-06 7:45 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Jeff, you did an awesome job and all the more impressive that this was your first half mary. A sub-2 hour finish is a major milestone. Great job! It looks like all of your training paid off. I'm sure we can expect many great things from you in the future!
2007-02-06 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome job getting your goal of your first race of this distance! All that, even while battling a cold. Just imagine how fast your next one will be! Great job!

2007-02-07 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Under 2 hours for a 1/2 mary:  awesome.  On your first 1/2 mary:  incredible.  While you were sick:  !!!!!! (I don't even know what to say)

Great race Jeff.

2007-02-10 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
WHOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Incredible job, fantastic!!! Extra points for holding the pee, hee hee! ;-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 11th Annual Pacific Shoreline - Half Marathon Rss Feed