Erie Runners Club
12F / -11C
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 50s
Overall Rank = 34/50
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

It was really nice going to a race that started at 10am. I got up around 6am to do chores and then made the usual Sunday morning breakfast of bacon and eggs for me and my husband. Nice leisurely breakfast with my honey and then made the 1 hour drive to the event. Got there with 15 minutes to spare. Oops. Meant to get there a little earlier.
Event warmup:

Just enough time for a little light stretching. I knew I was going to walk appoximately the first mile so I wasn't too concerned about an intense warm up. Stayed inside a very lightly heated building until it was time to start since it was only 12 degrees outside.

I was a little worried about how to dress since 1.) I would be both walking and running and 2.) I had never run in temps this low before. Clothing was just about perfect. My ears got just a little chilled on the way out running into the wind, but I was warm before I got to the turn around and after that the wind was at my back. Head: ball cap and heavyweight fleece balaclava. Top: sports bra, polypro long underwear, lightweight fleece cycling jersey, lightweight technical windbreaker. Bottom: polypro long underwear and winter weight running tights. Feet: synthetic liner socks, synthetic midweight hiking socks, running shoes. Hands: ski mittens (could have worn regular gloves).
Run
  • 53m 50s
  • 4.79 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off walking with a man that was recovering from a bulging disc in his lower back. He said he thought his PT would let him start doing a little running this week, but was just walking today. I walked with him the first 10-15 minutes then set off running.

I had predicted my pace at 12:00/mile so my plan was to catch up and pass the tailend of the running group and then end by walking and letting that group of people catch up to me at the end. I was hoping they were going to be around 12min/mile group. Well not knowing how long the course was, I guess I didn't start walking soon enough toward the end. Some of those last runners passed me before the finish, but not all. The ones that passed came in around 11 min/mile. Oh well, it was all a guess anyway.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It was fun. Since I didn't know how long the course was, I could only guess as to when to stop and start walking.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some kind of pink sports drink and ate a couple cookies. Got a little chilly waiting for results so then I switched to drinking hot chocolate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, this wasn't an event where the fastest person won. You could go any pace you wanted. You just had to be the person who finished closest to their predicted pace. The winner was 3 seconds off his predicted pace. Not having an injury and being able to run the whole event would have made it easier to be closer to my predicted pace.

Event comments:

Just a small local club race put on as a way to pass some time in the middle of winter. It was a lot of fun and a different way to do a running race.

Last updated: 2007-02-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:53:50 | 04.79 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 34/50
Performance: Good
Course: All the RD would tell us was that the course was between 4 and 6 miles. He did say it was a little closer to 4 than it was to 6. We would find out the actual distance at the end. The course was on the roads through Presque Isle State Park. Very pretty park right on Lake Erie. Didn't do a lot of looking around as the windchills were below zero, but there were a gazillion people out ice fishing on the bay side of the park. The roads were snow covered and icy in some spots.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-11 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: ERC Valentine Prediction Race

2007-02-11 4:35 PM
in reply to: #686859

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: ERC Valentine Prediction Race
Nice job Diane!  Sounds like a really fun race even if it was TOO COLD!   Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the morning!
2007-02-11 4:42 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-02-11 5:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
What a great idea for a race! Sounds likes fun - and maybe even a race that I could win!

You did well in the cold. It is always so hard to figure out what to wear. Good job!
2007-02-12 10:03 PM

Expert
Earth

Good job getting out there. 

I think that would be a fun race, I almost did one back in November a lot like that race.  Only difference was it was a 5K, but I didn't do it.  Maybe next year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ERC Valentine Prediction Race Rss Feed