Surge Sports
21F / -6C
Overcast
Total Time = 29m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45+ Masters
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:15am. Ate lite breakfest (Cheerios, 1 Bananna and 16 oCytomax, and a cup of coffee). Showered, dressed, and made the 1:30+ hr drive to the Race Start. Met Brett, Lou, Rebecca, and Felix.
Event warmup:

10 minute spin on the trainer, 5 minute ride with several short sprints. Arrived at the starting ramp about 5 minutes early.
Bike
  • 29m 34s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 19.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Normally I'm pretty relaxed before competitons however I was nervous this time for several reasons. This was my first individual time trial ever. I trained pretty hard through December preparing for it but the bike wreck last month put me on my back for a while and off the bike for almost a month. So I figured I would be off somewhat more than normal. The ramp start was also weird. I was also unsure of what to wear due to the extreme cold.
What would you do differently?:

Relax. Not come off the ramp so hard. I pushed 25 mph but quickly tired and slowed at the first hill. I also pused too big of a gear. Should have stayed in the small front ring to the turn around.

Start my heart-rate monitor!
Post race
Warm down:

Light cool down ride, and immediately put om warmer clothing!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training first and foremost. I think the bike wreck last month effected me more than I thought it would. I never seemed to get my legs under me. It was pretty obvious I wasn't prepared. Even with the missed training and the cold I figured I would at least be able to turn a 26 or 27. The 29 hit me pretty hard. When I had my Tri-bike repaired, I had it set up less agressive due to some loss of flexability in my neck and back, I definately need to fix this.

Event comments:

Despite my poor performance and the cold, this was a great race. This was my first time trial but not my last. I really like the TT race format. Congrats to other BT/NAMCer's. Brett, Rebecca, Felix, and Lou. Great atmosphere!

Last updated: 2007-02-06 12:00 AM
Biking
00:29:34 | 9.5 miles | 19.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Awesome out and back course. I did have quite a bit of anxiety about the turnaround. I had been told there would be a cone in the center of the trail we would have to turn around it. I had practiced but could not seem to do it very smoothly. I figured it would be actually faster and less risky to slow to almost a complete stop, unclip ont foot and turn the bike due to the narrowness of the trail. The turnaround actually turned out to be wide and sweeping turn around a turnoff on the trail.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-19 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
BFE
Subject: Tundra Time Trial

2007-02-19 10:40 AM
in reply to: #695443

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Tundra Time Trial
Great race David.  You shouldn't be too hard on yourself...after a wreck it is going to take some time to re-engage in the sport!  29 minutes is nothing to be ashamed of...it is awesome for that stretch on the comet! 
2007-02-19 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

It was great being out there with you, David.  All things considered - pink bike incident, rehab from same, break in training, cold, etc. - you did great!  The first part of that course is so deceiving because you can really crank up a head of steam(y)...and then you hit the grade and it hits hard.  Definitely looking forward to doing more races like this with you/other NAMC/BT'ers!!

2007-02-19 12:15 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Great job! Even if you didn't hit your expected time, you still had a great finishing time! It was freezing on Saturday morning! Next year you should be able to PR!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tundra Time Trial Rss Feed