Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Second Life - OK, what am I missing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-02-23 1:54 PM
in reply to: #700960

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Second Life - OK, what am I missing?

Honestly, it wasn't the fact that you mentioned people are lonely.

It was the implication of only lonely people seek solace in online communities, and the laughing at a site that makes fun of users of a specific online community, while posting those parts that you found particularly humorous.

Does that clear up the confusion some? 

2007-02-23 1:55 PM
in reply to: #699900

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

I dunno Chris, but when a local writer friend of mine said that she was writing a book on "How to be Real Estate Tycoon in Second Life" I had to ask many questions like yours...what are they actually selling?...why do people buy it?...how do they use it?...and ultimately, what's the point? 

She could only answer the first three questions. 

The whole virtual community thing was lost on me, but I guess I could try to make a BT analogy that others here might understand: 

Imagine we paid Rob and all the developers here to build new tools for our forums and blogs, more graphics to show who we are and what we like to do.  More money bought bigger avatars, better photo resolution, or simply cooler training blog settings.  There'd be no membership settings per se, but you could BLING UP your blog till your hearts content, maybe see others copy you or want to get a blog next to yours or linked to yours.  You'd build up your own little BT haven.  You'd like it and think it worth the $.   Maybe you'd spend more hours and days here?  Maybe you wouldn't...

Seems an odd kind of investment but time spent on any hobby looks that way to others who don't share the hobby.  

2007-02-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: #700988

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
Scout7 - 2007-02-23 11:54 AM

It was the implication of only lonely people seek solace in online communities, and the laughing at a site that makes fun of users of a specific online community, while posting those parts that you found particularly humorous.

I was going to say the exact same thing...thank you for saving me the time.

2007-02-23 2:00 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
The owners of Second Life sent a letter to the folks who put together that GetAFirstLife web site.  It said:

THANK YOU! 

Apparently, that spoof has generated a lot more interest in Second Life. 

I'm not clear on the whole spending money thing myself, but I think that's just a measure of my fiscal outlook.  I'm cheap.  I play a game that Eric pays for, and although I know people who have converted real money for game money, I'd never even consider it.  Fortunately, on the game we play, it's possible to get all the virtual things one needs while playing the game.  The only reason people buy stuff on Ebay and the like is to save themselves time and effort. 

It's also worth noting that Reuters has a dedicated Second Life economy reporter. 
2007-02-23 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Denver
I think you need to look at it not as property but as entertainment. No different than putting a quarter in an arcade game.
2007-02-23 2:04 PM
in reply to: #700988

User image

Buttercup
Scout7 - 2007-02-23 2:54 PM

I'm not at all confused. I'm quite clear. I used the word "lonely" and then a post following used the word "loser." Then someone associated being well adjusted with an absence of loneliness. There's nothing confusing there. Other people view loneliness negatively. That's pretty clear.

I have a POV. You don't have to like it. And I don't have to be politically correct and say "Oh yeah, spending hours and hours online having simulated sex with someone pretending to be a prostitutue is groovy." Nor do I need to explain why I found a parody site funny.

And why do you care what I think? I certainly don't get my panties in a bunch over what you think about my POV - but then I don't attach the same emotions to online discussions that some of you do.

Edited by Renee 2007-02-23 2:17 PM

2007-02-23 2:05 PM
in reply to: #700840

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
DerekL - 2007-02-23 11:30 AM

"Judge not lest ye be judged."

Or somesuch.

I'll *snerk* too.

Judging? what judging?  Unless I count the 10 on that one.

2007-02-23 2:09 PM
in reply to: #700996

User image

Imagine we paid Rob and all the developers here to build new tools for our forums and blogs, more graphics to show who we are and what we like to do.  More money bought bigger avatars, better photo resolution, or simply cooler training blog settings.  There'd be no membership settings per se, but you could BLING UP your blog till your hearts content, maybe see others copy you or want to get a blog next to yours or linked to yours.  You'd build up your own little BT haven.  You'd like it and think it worth the $.   Maybe you'd spend more hours and days here?  Maybe you wouldn't...

AHA!!  Thank you Sunny, now I understand, having been to spokes' blog and all

2007-02-23 2:14 PM
in reply to: #701020

User image

Runner

I thought it would be helpful to explain mine (and some others') point of view, and understanding of the the progression of the conversation.

You don't have to like my view, either.  You don't even have to acknowledge it.

2007-02-23 2:14 PM
in reply to: #701008

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
drewb8 - 2007-02-23 11:00 AM

I think you need to look at it not as property but as entertainment. No different than putting a quarter in an arcade game.

or paying money to have a membership to a site that allows you to use different tools based on your membership level....

2007-02-23 2:23 PM

Pro
Hmmm. Seems like some people are executing an agenda here and using this topic to do so. Let's be realistic here: We all have different opinions and we can learn from each other. If you're hell bent on taking offense, then go get a coffee and get a bit of perspective reread the posts as I have and see what's there, not what you seem to want to be there.

Also, I observe some particular passive-aggressive posts from time to time, from the same people directed at the same people. You guys need to grow up.

2007-02-23 2:24 PM
in reply to: #701020

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
Renee - 2007-02-23 12:04 PM
Scout7 - 2007-02-23 2:54 PM

I'm not at all confused. I'm quite clear. I used the word "lonely" and then a post following used the word "loser." Then someone associated being well adjusted with an absence of loneliness. There's nothing confusing there. Other people view loneliness negatively. That's pretty clear.

I have a POV. You don't have to like it. And I don't have to be politically correct and say "Oh yeah, spending hours and hours online having simulated sex with someone pretending to be a prostitutue is groovy." Nor do I need to explain why I found a parody site funny.

And why do you care what I think? I certainly don't get my panties in a bunch over what you think about my POV - but then I don't attach the same emotions to online discussions that some of you do.

Anytime a negative comment is made about someones life (or an aspect of their life) it is bound to rile some feathers.  I, can say for myself, I took it as a personal attack.  It wasn't the lonley comments, but the implied negative comments.  The subsequent posts where to try to share my point of view, to show that people who connect on line are not lonley (no negative connotation associated) or in any way "sad".  And that healthy relationships can be made on line.  But I see now, that its useless for me to continue along these lines of debate.  So I am going to bow out of the conversation now. 

Chris, I agree...Sunny explained it very well...Thank you.

2007-02-23 2:29 PM
in reply to: #699911

User image

Veteran
Calgary
ChrisM - 2007-02-22 4:10 PM

I'm totally down with the escape thingy. That part I get, even though it's not for me. It's the spending money and buying things that don't exist that has me intrigued. I'm trying to come up with something that doesn't exist that I can sell to people. That's the job I want

The stuff people buy and sell in SecondLife is just as "real" as most intellectual property. It takes time and money to create the original item (movie, book, music, art etc.) but once that expense is taken into account, it can be reproduced for basically no cost. Yet people pay money for it.

Paying $1 for a new outfit for your avatar in SecondLife isn't much different than paying $1 for a song from iTunes.

2007-02-23 2:35 PM
in reply to: #701077

User image

Paying $1 for a new outfit for your avatar in SecondLife isn't much different than paying $1 for a song from iTunes.

I guess I still can't make that philosophical leap.  But I am glad that others can and enjoy it.  $$ makes the world go round

hmmm, just thinking out loud, but I wonder if there are any lawyers in SL?  Maybe I can hang a shingle up there and sell some virtual advice?

2007-02-23 2:38 PM

User image

Champion
Funniest thread of the week on multiple levels.  Nothing passive-aggressive about this post at all.
2007-02-23 2:41 PM
in reply to: #701069

User image

Buttercup
runningwoof - 2007-02-23 3:24 PM

Anytime a negative comment is made about someones life (or an aspect of their life) it is bound to rile some feathers.  I, can say for myself, I took it as a personal attack.  It wasn't the lonley comments, but the implied negative comments.  The subsequent posts where to try to share my point of view, to show that people who connect on line are not lonley (no negative connotation associated) or in any way "sad".  And that healthy relationships can be made on line.  But I see now, that its useless for me to continue along these lines of debate.  So I am going to bow out of the conversation now. 

It seems to me that you are intentionally personalizing this topic. That is your choice but by doing so you are making very wrong assumptions. My words are not about YOUR life.

If someone were to say "Swimmers make the weakest triathletes" (I'm a swimmer by the way), I wouldn't be offended. I wouldn't take it as a personal attack - it's just that person's opinion and it has no bearing on me or my LIFE.  I wouldn't attach emotion to that person's POV. I don't think it's constructive or balanced for me to do so.  But that seems to be what you are doing here - not just attaching an emotion to my POV, but it seems like you are attaching or presuming a motive/intent/feeling to me. And that's not right or fair or my responsibility.

I hope I didn't misconstrue or misunderstand what your saying; that's not my intention. There are others in the thread who have no interest in actually understanding - they're just little potshotters - but it seems to me that you are actually trying to be understood and willing to try to understand and it is with this assumption that I am replying to you.

Oh, and I do have my views on making connections online and how relationships are best developed - but I don't want to go off on another tangent and that is for another day or perhaps PM.

Edited by Renee 2007-02-23 2:43 PM

2007-02-23 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

Y'all are acting like this here internets thing is gonna catch on or something....you know sorta like the CB radio 

2007-02-23 2:52 PM
in reply to: #701092

User image

Veteran
Calgary
ChrisM - 2007-02-23 1:35 PM

I guess I still can't make that philosophical leap. But I am glad that others can and enjoy it. $$ makes the world go round

hmmm, just thinking out loud, but I wonder if there are any lawyers in SL? Maybe I can hang a shingle up there and sell some virtual advice?

Fair enough. I guess that for me, a life long computer geek, they are both just collections of bits. In both cases you are paying someone to give you a copy of a carefully crafted collection of bits. In both cases, you are not actually buying anything physical.

And yes, there are lawyers in second life.

An no, I don't play SecondLife. I'm too busy with TriathlonLife.

2007-02-23 2:58 PM
in reply to: #701077

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

ertman - 2007-02-23 1:29 PM Paying $1 for a new outfit for your avatar in SecondLife isn't much different than paying $1 for a song from iTunes.

Well, MAYBE, just maybe, the practicality of the purchase.  At least that’s how I perceive the difference.  Of course, I don’t purchase either.
With that said, people are free to burn their money however they see fit.

2007-02-23 3:02 PM
in reply to: #701104

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
Renee - 2007-02-23 12:41 PM
runningwoof - 2007-02-23 3:24 PM

If someone were to say "Swimmers make the weakest triathletes" (I'm a swimmer by the way), I wouldn't be offended. I wouldn't take it as a personal attack - it's just that person's opinion and it has no bearing on me or my LIFE.  I wouldn't attach emotion to that person's POV. I don't think it's constructive or balanced for me to do so.  But that seems to be what you are doing here - not just attaching an emotion to my POV, but it seems like you are attaching or presuming a motive/intent/feeling to me. And that's not right or fair or my responsibility.

But if I said, swimmers are weak.  Swimming isn't a valid sport, you  may just take that as a pesonal opinion, but I am sure there are lots of others that would take it personally and as an attack on their way of life.  I think its part of life to take things personally, I do care about others emotions and feelings and how my comments may effect them, its what makes me human...I listen to other POVs and take them to heart and let them affect me, other wise I would just be detached and my mind would not be open to the possibilitie that I may be wrong.  maybe its a fault of mine, but I think its a strength...don't get me wrong...did you ruin my day no, but did you in some way cause an emotional reaction in me, yes.  Is that good or bad...not really, it just is.    And if I were to make a blanket comment like the one above, I would need to be ready for the aggresive adverse reaction that swimmers would have to the comments, because when someone is passionate about something, they are emotionally invested...thats why its called "passionate". 

2007-02-23 3:17 PM
in reply to: #699912

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

madkat - 2007-02-22 3:14 PM http://www.getafirstlife.com/[/QUOTE]

That's awesome!  I was wondering if it was a joke link but I had to check

2007-02-23 3:18 PM
in reply to: #701147

User image

Buttercup
runningwoof - 2007-02-23 4:02 PM

But if I said, swimmers are weak.  Swimming isn't a valid sport, you  may just take that as a pesonal opinion, but I am sure there are lots of others that would take it personally and as an attack on their way of life.  I think its part of life to take things personally, I do care about others emotions and feelings and how my comments may effect them, its what makes me human...I listen to other POVs and take them to heart and let them affect me, other wise I would just be detached and my mind would not be open to the possibilitie that I may be wrong.  maybe its a fault of mine, but I think its a strength...don't get me wrong...did you ruin my day no, but did you in some way cause an emotional reaction in me, yes.  Is that good or bad...not really, it just is.    And if I were to make a blanket comment like the one above, I would need to be ready for the aggresive adverse reaction that swimmers would have to the comments, because when someone is passionate about something, they are emotionally invested...thats why its called "passionate". 

Ummmm no, I really wouldn't care what anyone had to say about swimmers. That's not about me - that's about them.

I like to engage in discussions about ideas - I like to deconstruct ideas. That's how I validate them for myself. So, if someone were to present a logical argument where they could demonstrate that swimming isn't a valid sport, I'd consider the merits. In fact, someone once posted a link to an external blog where the guy was mocking triathlons/triathletes. He said it wasn't a sport - it was a stunt. It was a hilarious article, very humorous, and he made some valid points. It didn't affect my sense of self, though. Maybe that's the key for me - I have a strong sense of self so the opinions of others don't threaten me (no inferences there - it's just how I tick).

So, I don't know that we've resolved anything other than I'm asking you not to assume I am attacking you just because I have an opinion you don't like. My opinion is not about you, personally, even though you FEEL that it is.

Oh, and if you want to discuss further, may I suggest PM? I think the thread has passed the 'tedious' mark.

Edited by Renee 2007-02-23 3:22 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Second Life - OK, what am I missing? Rss Feed  

of 3