United States
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 34m 36s
Overall Rank = 443/475
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 21/22
Pre-race routine:

Found free parking near race registration. Late registered. Walked tshirt and bag advertisements back to car. Picked up chip. Sipped some Gatorade. Found my friends. Went potty. Hung out with my friends. Went potty again.
Event warmup:

Nothing, really. Just walking to the portajohns. Twice. Made certain that cool green plastic shamrock shaped sunglasses were properly in place and just waited for the starting whistle.
Run
  • 34m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a good run for me considering the hills. I'm not sure who told me the thing was flat, but they were on drugs. GOOD drugs. These are long, slow hills. Insidious things that just sneak up on you and keep going. I guess it was nice that half of the race was also downhill. I probably could have pushed myself a little harder but not much. I will note that the winning male runner crossed the mat at the same time we ran by the start/finish line. We still had half the race to run. Funny, it seems to me like my time is really fast for me yet I'm still at the bottom of the age group. I'm determined to end up MOP eventually.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the St. Patty's Day pre-parade celebration. Had apple juice, a banana and a bit of a green bagel. Stretched. Went to the gym and got in a swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Same ol' stuff ... weight and fitness level. It'll come.

Event comments:

There were few volunteers along the route, but RPD had every intersection covered. There was one water station, but I can't tell you where it was ... somewhere near the half way point, I think. The course was not as flat as I'd been promised, but that's okay ... it was well laid out and orchestrated. Besides ... people got free trees ... and the City of Raleigh will get some too!

Last updated: 2007-03-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:36 | 03.1 miles | 11m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/22
Overall: 443/475
Performance: Good
Course: A figure 8-ish run in downtown Raleigh. For those in the know ... we left City Market, ran up Person Street (and I do mean UP) took a left on Polk, ran down Blount to right on Cabarrus to right on Wilmington, ran UP Wilmington to rt on Polk then right back down Blount Street to the finish in front of the City Market.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-03-19 4:51 PM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Subject: Run for the Oaks

2007-03-19 5:37 PM
in reply to: #729138

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Run for the Oaks

Awesome job!!! Keep plugging away at it and it will come (at least that's what I tell myself- I'm trying to find the MOP too!)

Green bagels though?  

2007-03-20 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great race! Congratulations! My 8k was the same with the long slow hills! Ugh. I'd almost rather have a short steep one and be done with it! My goal is also to finish MOP in a running race someday. We'll get there! Nice work.
2007-03-20 10:25 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job Robin
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run for the Oaks Rss Feed