Greater Washington Sports Alliance
52F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 02m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 2 hours before the race. Ate a peanut butter sandwich, drank TONS of water and got ready. Went downstairs to check weather and make final race wear decisions. L/S tee, capris, race hat. Grabbed a cab and headed to the starting line.
Event warmup:

About a mile and a half of light jogging, drills and a couple of strides to loosen up. Felt great waiting for the gun to go off . . . except for the nerves that had my HR at 108 BPM just standing there.
Run
  • 2h 02m 34s
  • 13.52 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
What would you do differently?:

Carry water myself. I skipped the aid station at mile 5 and thought I could get to the next one at 7.5 but around 6 I REALLY needed fuel. That made the next mile and a half relatively unpleasant. And so easily avoided. I was READY for this race. I think I could have broken 2 hours had I gelled when I needed to.

I would also train on hills . . . Hinsdale has some nice ones and that's not a far drive from here.
Post race
Warm down:

Quick stretches and I haeaded over to the ART tent that was set up. Had my IT bands and piriformis worked on. Drank Recoverite and a ton of water. Had a banana to eat. Stopped and got a hot cocoa at Starbucks on my way back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hill training.

Event comments:

I have the race running long according to my GPS. Also, the packet pickup was not particularly convenient--hard to get to and from for out of towners. Finally, my race time and the official race time are off by about 7 minutes. I can't figure that one out to save my soul.

Last updated: 2007-02-11 12:00 AM
Running
02:02:34 | 13.52 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Here's the interesting thing . . . my Garmin had the race at 13.52 mi. from the start line to the finish line. I checked with other Garmin wearers and we were all within one one hundreth of one another. So the course was off.
Course: Beautiful . . . first couple of miles were really nice with lots of downhills. Which of course means on the second half of the course there were a ton of up hill climbs. Not so much fun. Some historic stuff, lots of neighborhoods. It was fun to run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-03-26 8:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: National Marathon/Half Marathon

2007-03-26 9:08 AM
in reply to: #736694

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: National Marathon/Half Marathon
Wow, you did awesome. What a great pace.

And given all the inconveniences and what appears to be some lack of organization or at least awareness of important race details on the part of the organizers (like convenient packet pick-up and having the correct distance), you did even MORE awesome. I'm quite impressed. I hope recovery is quick.

K.
2007-03-26 12:19 PM
in reply to: #736694

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
Subject: RE: National Marathon/Half Marathon
Good job, don't you just hate hills. I know I do.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » National Marathon/Half Marathon Rss Feed