United States
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 45m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up to finish up donkey sign. Managed to eat banana, bagel and a string cheese while on the ride up. I was pretty thrilled with that as I was still kinda dehydrated and hollow from my puke-fest the day before. Met up w/ fellow Donkey PeterAK, FirstNet911, Morey1 as well as some other folks. FirstNet's daughter kept us busy posing for various photos. Went out to watch the 1/2 mary people go off, then went back inside to stay warm before my race started
Event warmup:

Some stretching, a little jog to the 5k start line, which was in a different spot then the 1/2. Bonus for me, got to listen the Star Spangled Banner TWICE...
Run
  • 45m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 14m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off ok. Not fast, but I'm not fast. Not even a 1/2 lap around and I started having some stomach problems so I started walking. I pretty much kept up a couple minutes running vs a couple minutes walking for the entire first lap. By the time I was done with the first lap, there were already a number of people who where done, and they were starting to walk up the course. I actually had to yell "Excuse me! Still racing!" to get them out of my way. I really felt like crying at that point, but managed to hold myself together. I was pretty much convinced I was DFL at that point, as I couldn't see anyone behind me. Had to do some more walking on the 2nd lap, but about 1/3 of the way around said screw it and just starting plodding along at my slow pace. I managed to run the rest of the 2nd lap, but just as I was getting to the timing mats, someone from the 1/2 mary (I think) came up behind me. ARGH! But still, I finished, and that's what matters. (And it is a PR for me, so that's something).
What would you do differently?:

Not be sick the day before?
Post race
Warm down:

Time chip off, walked back into rec center where there was water and food. My GI system was NOT happy with me, but it managed to settle down. Sat w/ FirstNet's daughter and mom til it was about time to watch the other Donkeez come in from the 1/2. Cheered them in. Finally found jmwebs (I'm sure he's someone who passed me on the 2nd loop of the 5k...b#@(!#%#) who did the Donkey Planet proud by obtaining hardware. Also found out that I was NOT DFL as I thought. I was 6th from last...I honestly have no idea where those people were behind me, cuz I sure as hell couldn't see them...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Let's see...the fact that I was heaving my guts about 24 hrs prior I'm sure didn't help much. Other then that, I just need to run more.

Event comments:

Lots of fun, inexpensive, nice shirt. The darn thing is so long that (if I were brave enough and had good enough legs) it could almost be a dress on me.

Last updated: 2007-03-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:53 | 03.1 miles | 14m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: 2 Laps around the park that goes over the Fox River.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-03-31 7:12 PM

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: Trailbreaker

2007-03-31 7:57 PM
in reply to: #744093

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Subject: RE: Trailbreaker
Congrats on finishing even though you were so sick yesterday!

(i DFLed a race in September. i almost cried several times, and if the course hadn't been around a lake i would have quit. But i had to get back to my car somehow.... That feeling sucks. i'm sorry you had to deal with that unnecessarily!)
2007-03-31 8:02 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Really proud of you! Way to stick it out. Most people would have given up before they even started with a day like yesterday. But you got up...toughed it out...and proved something to yourself. If you could survive a 5k feeling like this, imagine how much better you'll do when you feel strong! You're making great progress--keep it up!
2007-03-31 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI

Way to stick it out and finish with a PR. Rachel had a great time chatting with you. I'll download and post the pictures when I can walk again.

Great job!!!

2007-04-01 8:05 AM
in reply to: #744131

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

medic0020 - 2007-03-31 8:02 PM Really proud of you! Way to stick it out. Most people would have given up before they even started with a day like yesterday. But you got up...toughed it out...and proved something to yourself. If you could survive a 5k feeling like this, imagine how much better you'll do when you feel strong! You're making great progress--keep it up!

This is so well said I'll just SECOND that thought.  I'm proud to have you part of donkey nation and you did us proud.  Faced way more adversity than us wimp-oids.  We'd have all been on the couch, most likely.  Great to meet you and hope to see you more in the future.

2007-04-01 9:00 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Peggy, I'm so happy you came out and raced!  When I was hurting yesterday, I reminded myself, this is a race!  It ain't supposed to be easy!  Congrats for keepin' on and finishing.  You will only get faster!

Here are the lyrics to a Hoobastank song that is sort of my training inspiration for IMMOO.  I know it is going to be hard and I'm going to make mistakes, but gotta keep moving forward.  This is on the cd's I'm going to give you:

At least I'm moving forward.
At least I'm moving forward...

I stand before, a road that will lead,
into the unknown. At least unknown to me.
I want to go, but I'm paralysed with fear.
Fear of a choise, where the outcome isn't clear.

Nooo, but still I gooo.

And I take, the first step of a million more.
And I'll make mistakes I've never made before.
But at least I'm moving forward, at least I'm moving forward.

I wonder if, the journey will be,
Shorter as I hope, or much longer than it seems.
But either way, I've made up my mind.
I'm through feeling scared, I'm leaving that behind.

Sooo, Now it's time to gooo.

And in while I''l be singing,

Na, nana nana

At least I'm moving forward, at least I'm moving forward.

And I take, the first step of a million more!
And I'll make mistakes I've never made before!
At least I'm moving forward, at least I'm moving forward!

Mo-ving, for-ward.
Mo-ving, for-ward.
Mo-ving, for-ward.
Mo-ving, for-ward...

Na, nana nana

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Trailbreaker Rss Feed