Trekman Racing
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 19m 14s
Overall Rank = 17/262
Age Group = M25-30
Age Group Rank = 3/?
Pre-race routine:

woke up and had oatmeal with brown sugar and syrup. i thought bran would be a bad choice. got my stuff on and got everything ready, went to the race and got my bib, ready to go.
Event warmup:

ran easy a little ways down the road, came back. slammed a gel and some water and started walking to the start line.
Run
  • 19m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

ready to go at the start. usually i run 5K with my wife, but this time she had me run fast and not run with her. i went towards the front, but not at the front, i don't think anyone mistook me for speedy anyway. the race started and everyone took off.
there was a guy (we'll call him frank) i was gunning for. frank said he was shooting for a pretty quick time, i was hoping to beat frank. the first mile went pretty quick. it was slightly downhill (which we'll have to run back up) and some people were going pretty fast, including frank.
the first mile had a volunteer calling times, 6:11 i heard as i went past. holy balls! that is pretty fast for yours trully. a small voice of doubt took this oppertunity to laugh and tell me i was going too fast.
the stomach started to feel a little tight. not really cramping, just saying to me "you are not a running sprinter, can we sit a rest a bit while we talk this out?". i saw mile 2 coming up, i looked at my watch, 14:11. HUH? i don't think i died that much, something is fishy. anyway,the last mile was a twisty uphill road back the way we came. to my advantage, these were the roads i trained for a marathon on, so i knew them quite well. the trick is to know which was the last turn, and which was the second to last. i had caught up to frank, but when i ran beside him, he would speed up a little bit. looks like he wanted to beat me as well. my only hope was that he was tired and his little bursts of speed would leave him with nothing at the end. with one last turn to go, i made my move. muscles on fire, lungs felt like they were stuffed with newspaper, the end is in sight! my finish is not very impressive. i pumped my arms as fast as i could trying to coax a last bit of energy out to make it into the chute. i felt like i was moving in slow motion, i heard someone trying to get around me, and i may have moved over to block them from the chute. finish, look at my time....19:14?????? are you f#$king serious? there's no way i just dropped 1:45 from one year and one course ago! something is suspicous.....but it was enough to get 3rd in my age group, so i'll take that! hardware race!!!!!!
What would you do differently?:

in the race? maybe try and suck it up a little more on the way home and skip the long sleeve even though it was freezing. other than that, no worries. good effort for a swimmer ;)
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed some water and started walking back the course looking for rach. when she came up i jogged back to the finish. good runs all around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

exercise induced asmatha, but it's not like it's going to go away.

Event comments:

the rain delayed things a bit. especially since the original site is underwater. no drink stations, but they would have been in the rain. lots of bagels at the finish. results took a long time to get done, but it wasn't out of the ordinary.

Last updated: 2007-02-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:18 | 03.11 miles | 06m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 0/262
Performance: Good
First mile 6:11 (holy crap!) Second mile 8:11 (wait, what? is that marker in the right place?) Third mile ??:?? (didn't look, just trying to get my butt over the finish)
Course: run down park roads, out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %NA
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-01 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Subject: April Fool's 5K

2007-04-03 10:57 AM
in reply to: #744734

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: April Fool's 5K

Holy cr@p!!!

You smoked that race!  Awesome run!!!

I assume you beat Frank?

2007-04-05 11:04 AM
in reply to: #747083

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
oh, yes. i did beat frank. he took it out a bit too quickly and didn't have enough at the end. in his defense, he is training for a marathon currently so he might be a little tired from that. on the prosecution, he was a track star when he was in high school/college. thanks!
2007-04-05 2:47 PM
in reply to: #750152

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

Noz - 2007-04-05 12:04 PM oh, yes. i did beat frank. he took it out a bit too quickly and didn't have enough at the end. in his defense, he is training for a marathon currently so he might be a little tired from that. on the prosecution, he was a track star when he was in high school/college. thanks!

smokin' dude! great job, congrats on the hardware!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » April Fool's 5K Rss Feed