General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long run confusion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-12 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: Long run confusion

Maybe this is just one part of training that has no consensus, but I am getting conflicting messages.

I look at the beginner half marathon plans on the web (Galloway, Higdon and others) and when the long run is getting up at 9-10 miles, the other runs stay around 4-5 miles.  Most of these plans have you running 3 days a week and cross training the other days.  This puts the long run at around 50% of the total weekly volume.

THEN, I read on other web sites that the long run should never be more than 20-25% of the weekly volume.

I seem to be very injury prone and feel my best when I only run 3 days a week and crosstrain.  I know the 10% rule and understand that ok.  I understand about repeating weeks of the same volume if needed and about recovery weeks.  But at three runs/week, my long run will always be more than a third of my weekly volume.  So are weekly runs of 5, 5, and 10 a recipe for injury (not starting off, but building to that point).  Maybe it should be 5, 5 and 7-8 then build to 6, 6, and 8.  Then 6, 6 and 9.  Then 7, 7, and 9.  etc.  Get the pattern?  But that can't go on indefinitely because the mileage would be too much.

Signed, confused as usual. 

Diane

2007-04-12 5:32 PM
in reply to: #759369

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Long run confusion
drdi - 2007-04-12 5:25 PM

THEN, I read on other web sites that the long run should never be more than 20-25% of the weekly volume.

To follow this rule and get a 20-miler in, one would have to have an 80-100 mile week. I've never had an 80-mile week in my life.

Re-check your sources. The rule of thumb, I believe, is 50%.

2007-04-12 5:36 PM

User image

I can only tell you from my experience training for two HMs, and I increased my mileage pretty quickly.  I am no coach, etc., and consider myself a beginning runner, with all of that in mind.  I used to get injured too if I ran too many days, but then I changed my cadence (increased) and those problems seemed to go away (I've run the last 5 days straight, total of 22 miles, no adverse effects).  Everyone is different

You have to get out there and run at least the amount of time you expect to be on the course, plus a little more, at least a couple times (IMHO).  SO that would be close to 12 or 13 + miles.  I imagine you are not running 26 mile weeks, or won't be (my biggest were in the low 20s) so I really don't see a way to not do it having the long run equal 50%. 

The other alternative you mention, increasing the shorter runs, is, again IMHO and as you state, a recipe for injury.  I think doing a week of a 12 mile run plus 2 8s, unless you're WaterDog66, is pretty hardcore.  Just from your post it sounds like way too much.  I think you need to have a long run, a tempo run, perhaps hill repeats or some other type of run, and an easy run.

Again, this is just my amateur opinion.

2007-04-12 5:42 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Not sure what the 20-25% rule is coming from. All of the plans you listed are solid plans that produce good results for a lot of folks. (Trust the plan)

My normal Marathon plan (Pfitz 18/70) has 20-22 mile long runs and peaks at 70 Miles Per Week. It also has Mid-Week/Medium Long Runs (10-15 Miles) and so appears to come pretty close to the 50% rule that Bear is refering to.

I would be interested in hearing where you found this 20-25% rule.

Edit: Shameless Plug For the Higdon HM Plans. A lot of my marathoner friends have posted some big Personal Best Times using this plan. I might suggest that you at least consider either the Novice or the Intermediate Plan.

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-04-12 5:47 PM
2007-04-12 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

First, I must admit that I have read NONE of these web pages (except the one from the BT forum), but I was doing a google search on the subject:

http://www.rhoderunner.net/training.html

http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/catalog/matriarch/OnePiecePage.asp_Q_PageID_E_311_A_PageName_E_ArticleGardinerCrossCountry

http://www.aggiesrunning.com/Coaching/AggieXCTrainingSeptember2005/tabid/143/Default.aspx

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70396&posts=18&highlight=long%20run%2050%%20weekly%20miles&highlightmode=1#M739388

The last link from the BT forums is what got me thinking about this.  Here is the quote from our own JohnnyKay:

Add another run to your week if you can.  Ideally, your long run should be more like 25-30% of your weekly volume--not 50-60%. 

Once you've done that (or if you can't for some reason), then add some tempo.  If you're prepping for your HIM, I'd suggest doing it at the end of your long run.  Start at 10' and build each week.  You can break it into intervals too (e.g., 10' tempo, 2' easy, 10' tempo for 20' total).

Other than strides (you can do them weekly as part of one of your shorter runs), you can largely ignore most of the traditional "speed" work until much closer to your A-race.  And for your first HIM, you can pretty safely ignore it altogether.  You need more endurance, not speed.

Some of the better discussion I've seen on running is here.

2007-04-12 6:52 PM
in reply to: #759413

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
OK, that makes more sense.

It looks like JK was quoting folks who were constructing a Triathlon Plan, rather than a Marathon (Or Half Marathon) plan. Still not certain if the rule makes sense or not given that most proven marathon and half marathon plans violate this rule.

If I were you, I would take one of the established plans as a starting point, (Like Higdon) and modify it to suit your needs. (Most plans are made to be modified)

Here is a site that might also prove useful to you. Jim is a long time Marathoner and active member of the online communities around the net. His website is mostly a compilation of a lot of different topics that have come up over the years. (Regarding Running)

www.Jim2.net

Good luck with your training

2007-04-12 7:53 PM

Veteran
chicago
my thoughts, for what they're worth:

When I was only a runner and running 6-7 days a week (and two runs a day on 3 of those days) my long run was around 25% of my weekly mileage. When I started having injury problems and started cross training in place of some runs this percentage increased.

The 25% rule is probably for a different type of plan.

I add my vote to trusting the plan, with the caveat that you also need to listen to your body. With a decent base you should be fine.
2007-04-13 10:56 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

The "rule" itself comes from running experts like Jack Daniels, et.al., and was written with dedicated runners in mind.  Most marathon plans (at least for beginners/intermediates) will violate this rule as you stretch your long runs out because (as bear notes) most people are simply not going to do 75-80mpw.  Many beginner marathoners develop some overuse injuries or require long recoveries post-marathon (I did on both counts).  For triathletes, it can be very difficult to achieve while trying to balance swimming and biking along with running.

Its intent is to reduce injury risk and improve running consistency over a season (consistency, of course, being the key to long-term improvements).  If your long runs are 50%+ of your weekly volume, it is more likely that you don't have the base to be doing that safely (10% rule or not) for an extended period.

So I do think it is "better" to try to keep the long run at a more manageable percentage of your weekly volume, but realize it's not always practical.  I think for triathletes, the cross-training may provide enough benefits to stretch this to 30-40% (frankly, this is probably about where I am at least during tri-training season).  And perhaps even 50% is OK if somebody has enough long-term base or is done for a limited period (like getting in those 20 mile runs for your first marathon).  But I do think the risks climb as you push the ratio higher. 

This is all information I've gleaned from others (whose opinions I respect on these matters) and tried to incorporate in my own training to some extent.  Everyone has their own circumstances to work with though and may have to figure out what will work for them (hopefully without having to spend to much time figuring out what doesn't. )

Hope that helps some.

2007-04-13 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Thanks JK for chiming in on this!  (Especially since I quoted you.    )  Although I haven't read any Jack Daniels, my PT and I actually discussed just this point based on Mr. Daniels teachings.  But then I read those other mentioned plans and hence the confusion.  I think what you said makes a lot of sense.  Of course running 3 days a week, if every run was equal in length, then each would account for 33% of the volume.  In order for a long run to be a lower percentage, then one would have to run more than 3 days/week.

Most of this is just food for thought for me right now anyway.  I've just been running "normally" (for me) for only a month or two after battling achilles tendon problem.  How the heck does someone injure themselves running 3 days/week and no more than 10-12 mpw?  Neither my PT or my doctor really understands why it happened.  Whatever, I'm now running comfortably at 10mpw and am going to work up to 15-20mpw with my longest run being around 6-7 miles.  I'm not going to even think about changing anything for 6-12 months.  I'm just dreaming of things to come in the future. 

Diane

2007-04-13 7:58 PM

User image

Regular
Lynchburg, Virginia
I agree with what others have said and would also say that dedicated running plans will be different than plans for a tri, because you are doing other aerobic work on other days.

Some things to remember during the build up...

Keep the pace slow on the long runs, which will help to prevent injury and the slow running is much more beneficial than it feels and you recover quickly

Try to incorporate some trails on the long runs...I did this in my build up for a 50K and noticed much quicker recovery time and very little knee, foot, or hip pain

Make sure you are well hydrated and get good nutrition immediately after long run as this also speeds recovery

Hope this helps...Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long run confusion Rss Feed