United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 391/876
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 26/62
Pre-race routine:

LOL - pre-race routine... Let's see - the plan was to get lots of sleep and rest on Sat. - however my nerves had something else in mind. I was not able to fall asleep on Sat. night until REALLY late. I only got about 4 hours of sleep. I was really annoyed and at that point not nervous at all - just annoyed I wasn't sleeping... The lack of sleep meant that I would be grumpy or a comedian - luckily for Eric I was in comedian mode...
Event warmup:

The warmup for me - was a literal warmup... I was FREEZING! I shivered all the way to the gym... As we all know I'm not use to running or training in the cold. I wore my new good tights, my Nike dri-fit tank top and my new Nike jacket.
Run
  • 1h 57m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

Miles 1 and 2 I was a little cold. My feet were sort of numb from being cold... By mile 4 I had shed my jacket and my WONDERFUL man Eric carried it for me. :) By mile 5 I had started getting a sloshy stomach. It was quite annoying. I had no ankle pain, knee pain, feet pain or leg pain the whole time - just sloshy stomach. After sloshy stomach started we were climbing a HUGE hill. I had a few curse words for those hills and I think my words put Eric in a state of shock. LOL Miles 6-10 were pretty good - still sloshy stomach - but would feel better and start running faster. By mile 10 I was getting tired. I wore my headset off and on throughout the race. I'm so glad I had it on at mile 10 - as there was a guy who was having seizures and the ambulance came, etc. but we were in front of it when the commotion started. I didn't hear a thing. I was too busy listening to Jay-Z or some dancy/rap song. I usually listen to country a lot of the time I run, but when it is getting toward the end and I need to push myself - I have to hear "different" music. Anyway = at mile 11.7 (last Powerade stop) - I was so excited that we were almost done! I had some speed work there off and on... Then at mile 12 - I had just about had it. I needed to see the end. I told Eric I needed to walk. I walked only about 10 steps or so. Eric was very good about telling me - if you want to make your goal of under 2 hours - you have X number of minutes to get to the end... So - I ran again. Then, a 2nd time I had to walk. Again - about another 10 steps. This time when I started to run - a guy from the sidelines shouted and clapped at me and said, "Way to run it out at the end". And - for some reason I was like I am not walking again. So - off we went. We entered the track and Eric pointed to the other side and said - that is it - it is the end. That pretty much did it for me - and I put on SPEED DEMON SHOES and I booked it to the end. I was so happy to complete my first 1/2 marathon ever and did it in my goal of under 2 hours! :)

Post race
Warm down:

After race: Well to be honest for about 20 minutes I thought I was going to puke! Ick! I have this crazy "no puking streak" that has lasted over 20 some years... I didn't puke. I felt horrible for 20 min. though. Then I got a miagraine - with the squiggly vision - 1/2 of my vision looks like your TV when your channel is not coming in. The first time I had one of these miagraines I was 8 and thought I was going blind. Anyway - I told Eric I was ready to go home. We went to get in the car (I started feeling better sitting in the car) - anyway - we backed out only to find we were stuck! LOL We parked in this field and it was SUPER muddy and I looked down and saw another car stuck. We finally got going. The rest of the day on Sunday I felt great. Today just a little sore - but nothing major. Feeling good! :)

Thank you SO much Eric for all your support! I could not of done it without you! You are the greatest! :)

Event comments:

This race was VERY hilly. I did do some training on hills - but let's just say I had some few choice words for some of those hills...

Last updated: 2007-04-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:57:55 | 13.1 miles | 09m  min/mile
Age Group: 26/62
Overall: 0/876
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-16 11:01 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Raintree Run - 1/2 Marathon

2007-04-16 11:29 AM
in reply to: #763014

User image

Expert
Kansas
Subject: RE: Raintree Run - 1/2 Marathon

nice job on the race report!!!!

sween1995 - 2007-04-16 11:01 AM

2007-04-16 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Olathe, KS

Wow a great race and a great report!!

What were you yelling at the hills that put Otte in shock?

2007-04-16 12:34 PM
in reply to: #763191

User image

Expert
Kansas

my future for the Big O remains a mystery b/c of them there hills

speedball - 2007-04-16 12:16 PM

Wow a great race and a great report!!

What were you yelling at the hills that put Otte in shock?

2007-04-16 2:21 PM

Great Race report.  Nothing like having a person right beside you to cheer you on.  Kudos to Eric.  Way to meet your goal!!
2007-04-16 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS (Like the OC but OP)
Wow... Eric carried your jacket.... he didnt even offer to carry my hefty trash bag!!! I had to give it away to some homeless guy by the KU library....

Very nice report!!!

2007-04-16 3:00 PM
in reply to: #763579

User image

Expert
Kansas

She asked me to carry a small pot-roast along with a fresh garden salad but I objected

brieper - 2007-04-16 2:54 PM Wow... Eric carried your jacket.... he didnt even offer to carry my hefty trash bag!!! I had to give it away to some homeless guy by the KU library.... Very nice report!!!

2007-04-16 3:14 PM
in reply to: #763595

User image

Veteran
Overland Park, KS (Like the OC but OP)
Too bad... the homeless guy at the library could have used the pot roast... at least he is warm.

ott13979 - 2007-04-16 3:00 PM

She asked me to carry a small pot-roast along with a fresh garden salad but I objected

brieper - 2007-04-16 2:54 PM Wow... Eric carried your jacket.... he didnt even offer to carry my hefty trash bag!!! I had to give it away to some homeless guy by the KU library.... Very nice report!!!

Too bad... the homeless guy at the library could have used the pot roast!!! At least he is warm....

2007-04-16 6:56 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Wow- Shannon!  You had an AWESOME race!  Sub 2 hours for yoru first 1/2 marathon is a huge accomplishment!  I enjoyed your RR and reading all the details on what was going on in your mind throughout the race.  Way to tough it out and speed up at the end!  I bet you could have gone faster since you didn't puke at the end- j/k.  Great job- can't wait to see what future races you have coming!
2007-04-17 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Congratulations on a great race! You did really well, and were FAST too!

Your "no puking streak" cracks me up b/c I am on one of those too. I'm at around 15 years or so now... I just cannot do it... grosses me out too much. Even when I feel sick, it's like there's this mental block. haha

Anyway, congrats again! I hope you enjoyed the race... now when will the next one be?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Raintree Run - 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed