Set-Up, Inc / Kinetic Endeavors, LLC
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 16s
Overall Rank = 180/332
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 22/50
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition, and registered - 'bout it. I didn't bother to warm up too much, knowing that the water I was about to plunge into was going to rob me of whatever fitness I could muster, so why bother? GORGEOUS day though. I had a PB+J and a Gatorade for breakfast. Since the race didn't start until 10am, we got to have a fairly easy morning (though we still had to drive a couple of hours - no biggie).
Event warmup:

A short jog on the beach - honestly, nothing noteable.
Swim
  • 16m 36s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Can you say "cold"? Yes, Joe swam this, true his word, without a wetsuit. Really wasn't too horrible, minus that first shock hitting the water; I couldn't breathe regularly for at least 200 yards after that. Towards the end, Regina and the kids (it was easy to spot the stupid guy NOT wearing a wetsuit) said that I was swimming and swerving like a drunk man...since I don't recall doing this at all, I think my brain was thoroughly frozen through and through at this point. Seriously, I was having a hard time spotting where I wanted to come out of the water - that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;-).
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Definitely was glad I had prepared for the brain freeze; I had a bucket to sit on waiting for me; a welcome sight in T1. My shirt got stuck a bit going on, but other than that I took it easy, making sure I had my senses collected after the hypothermia swim leg.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps run a towel over my upper body to minimize the shirt issues.
Bike
  • 55m 35s
  • 18 miles
  • 19.43 mile/hr
Comments:

SMOKIN! My goal this year was to improve my speeds on the bike to average at least 18-19 mph, which I did, so I'm happy. Not really too much to say here....it was a sweet ride, the bike performed perfectly, and I feel as though I left nearly all I could give on the course.

Try to drink a little more - this wasn't a problem on the bike, but I think I felt it a bit in the early parts of the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Was a fast transition for me - nothing much to say - just rip the bike shoes off, slip the running shoes on, two lace yanks, grab the hat, and GO!

Maybe practice some faster dismounts?
Run
  • 24m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't have my legs and lungs really working for me until a good 2 miles in, so I suspect my times reflect this quite a bit. I depend on my running segment to catch some of those smoking bikers, and when the legs aren't there I feel a little disappointed. However, I picked up the last 1.1 to really push down the downhill homestretch to make up for the beginning as best I could. I had an all-out sprint with another guy just for the heck of it - we went back and forth a little before the final stretch, so we decided to line up for the finish and let it all hang out.... it was close, but I think I beat him by a step :-) .

I KNOW I need to do more bike-run bricks in training to help that transition go a little better. I have pretty much slacked for the last few weeks when it comes to tri training, so it was my own fault. That just means I have lots to look forward to in the coming weeks, right?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with the family who provided AWESOME support before, during, and after the whole event - THANK YOU! Had my recovery, another gatorade, and still ended up getting my post-race headache. But this time I brought my Excedrin!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, really. I had no solid expectations for this race, so I honestly just had a blast going through the motions and kicking off the race season with a sweet venue - a MUST repeat for either Regina or I next year.

Event comments:

First the AWESOME stuff - the music and announceer were spectacular, and deserve a big congratulations. The whole atmosphere was fun and exciting, and I think this was probably one of my best racing venues yet. The kids had lots to do as well, playing on the beach before and after the start, as well as on a very nice playground right in the race village. Also, indoor flushing bathrooms was a refreshing change for a triathlon! Regina and I are toying with making a weekend of it next year; I'll do the half on Saturday, and she'll do the sprint on Sunday. What Fun!
Critiques - few and far between: I think the road from the transition to where the runners turn down the road (around mile 1) should be closed to traffic. There were several close calls as bikes were flying into transition, only to have runners on their left and a car crawling/stuck in traffic dead ahead. Not a good scenerio. The other suggestion would be to have more food choices - racers had NO after-race food (only drinks) and the one vendor at the event was swamped with the lines. Just a suggestion, and possibly a good source of revenue for next year. GREAT PHOTO ALBUM for this race.

Last updated: 2007-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:36 | 820 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 34/50
Overall: 250/332
Performance: Bad
Suit: n/a - don't need no stinkin' wetsuit.
Course: Triangle swim - nice layout. Out-of-beach gun start by wave.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:55:35 | 18 miles | 19.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/50
Overall: 195/332
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: As advertised, beautiful rolling country roads. Potholes were prevelant, but race officials had taken the time to spraypaint them with bright orange paint to help us avoid them - a GREAT help! I didn't really want to get off the bike at the end!
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:09 | 03.11 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/50
Overall: 110/332
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back run - long uphill out (2 miles), fast downhill back for the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-23 8:40 PM

Veteran
Subject: Kinetic Sprint, Race #4

2007-04-23 8:55 PM
in reply to: #773792

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: RE: Kinetic Sprint, Race #4
Awesome race, Joe!!!
Especially for the first one of the season and without a wetsuit in that water!
I bet it was fun to have the family there!
Congrats!
2007-04-23 9:26 PM
in reply to: #773806

Veteran
Kristin - 2007-04-23 9:55 PM

Awesome race, Joe!!!
Especially for the first one of the season and without a wetsuit in that water!
I bet it was fun to have the family there!
Congrats!

Thanks, Kristin - maybe you did manage to warm the course up for me! It really was a perfect venue for the kids to enjoy. We had a great family day of it, minus the water temps, of course!
2007-04-24 8:07 AM

Awesome race, Baby! Kick Arse times on that bike & run...and the swim wasn't even as bad as it probably felt...way to kick off the tri-portion of the family race season.
2007-04-24 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
King George, VA
Crazy non-wetsuit wearer. I think I would have have ran across the water if I wasn't wearing a wetsuit. 17+ minutes (whatever my time was) was too long for me even with a full wetsuit on! I am from the South; maybe that has something to do with it.
2007-04-24 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
Reston

Great race!  Way to hit the mark on your bike!

2007-04-24 10:00 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Kudos to a great race!

And wetsuit free! Now that is amazing!

2007-04-24 2:09 PM

User image

Oakville, ON

A few things...

1) GREAT RACE!  Swim, Bike, and Run all looked great.. I know how sensitive you are about your running, but you still came across with a great time!

2) You are definitley a crazy SOB for not wearing a wetsuit!

3) So glad that the race has re-motivated you... do you find yourself asking, "How fast could I had run this thing is I had only...." I think that is the driving force to get us back on the training circuit - atleast for me it was.

2007-04-25 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Let me join the chorus - NO WETSUIT!!!??? My goodness you are tough!!! Or... well, you're tough no matter Wink. Great job on the bike! Nice start to the race season. Congrats.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kinetic Sprint, Race #4 Rss Feed