General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need help making a big decision Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

I need help making a big decision
OptionResults
Go travel for 1/2 year to a year. Note: benefits of training will be loss54 Votes - [65.85%]
Buy a new tri bike, and sign up for Ironman Western Australia22 Votes - [26.83%]
Other (explain).6 Votes - [7.32%]

2007-04-25 11:13 AM
in reply to: #774887

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: I need help making a big decision
If it were me, at 27, I would get serious about finding a job/career that I was passionate about. Having some money in the bank is a nice cushion that you can use to go get some more education or skills or just wait for the right opportunity to come along. Maybe go do it in a new city to satisfy some of the itch to travel.

And sure, buy a new tribike and train the house down while you're at it.

Good job, BTW, on being debt free. Take steps to make sure you stay that way.

2007-04-25 11:24 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I voted for IM Austrailia.  It counts as traveling, so why not kill 2 birds with one stone if you love the IM?? 
2007-04-25 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
I agree with Zenith 65 I am 45 and having a blast at Tri's but regret not travelling more seeing the world etc when i was younger ( yes 27 is young) also congrats on the Im finish rockin time , I only wish I could think  of finishing that fast  when I get there. Lots of time to train and race later. my 2c
2007-04-26 2:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
Or... do IMOZ in Port Macquarie in Apr with me... its a much bigger "event (1'400 vs 800 competitors, with more history and "buzz")

Come over here at the end of the Northern Hemisphere summer just as we are warming up for Summer. Live in either Sydney or Melbourne, join one of the local Tri squads and get to meet some friends. Get a cheap car (there's places in Sydney that will gve a buyback guarantee on an old banger) and some even cheaper flights and do the tourist thing while mixing in training.

I've lived here (Sydney) for three years and have to be honest and say that there's quite a short list of the great tourist sites and while I hear other posters on only scratching the surface in their 28days that's because most of the joy of Australia is as a "lifestyle" destination made great by the weather and the geography rather than as a tourist thing, like the UK for example where there's hundred of "old" things to go look at.

There are some things that you have to do (there's also some handy warm-up half irons that oyu could fit around this...):-
- Uluru / Ayer's Rock (long weekend trip)
- Great Barrier Reef and Far North Queensland (maybe two weeks?)
- Byron Bay (a week?)
- Melbourne (three days?)
- Great Ocean Road (3-5days)
- Perth and South through wine country (a week)
- Learn to surf weekend (weekend surprisingly!)
- Adelaide and wine country (long weekend)
- Blue Mountains (long weekend)
- Sydney (about a week, but if you live there just do the bits over time)
- New Zealand if you want a longer trip (2-4 weeks?)

More fun, do some of the classic Australian things:-
- Go swimming on Bondi, or even better do the Bondi to Bronte ocean swim
- Race the Noosa Triathlon (world's second largest)
- Run the Bondi clifftop path
- Get breakfast in a cafe on the beach
- Have lunch in Balmoral Bather's Pavillion
- Go kayaking on the harbour
- Have great Italian and the world's best coffee in Melbourne
- Uncover some unheard of designer who's the next superstar at Paddington Markets
- Bushwalking in the Blue Mountains
- Run the "Six Foot Track" (50km trail run)

Happy to post more here or PM me if you want.
2007-04-26 6:35 AM

Expert
Salisbury

Do some traveling!  While your traveling though, do more than just sight seeing. Ponder what you want to do for the rest of your life. Find purpose and direction. I believe that is the key to reaching your full potential.

Also, as others have said, do what you can to keep your fitness. Swim/Bike/Run whenever you can. Perhaps just not as intense.

Edit: Now I'm thinking I should sell my house and go with you!  

Edited by Rencor 2007-04-26 6:36 AM
2007-04-26 8:27 AM

User image

Mesquite, Texas
Take it from someone twice your age, TRAVEL while you can. You have your whole life to compete. You might even set aside half the cost of the bike you want so you'll have a good start to obtain that when you get back.

Drop us a line when you get a chance. Postcards optional.

2007-04-26 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
MA

There are ways to bike/travel here in the US and abroad that are inexpensive..camping...connecting with others. I read a great book about a women who rode around the US and she met the nicest folks along the way that welcomed her into their lives in many ways.

I'd recommend do some research and you'll find what appeals to you and find your way. Sure sounds like travel is what is drawing you but I think you can have both the tri bike and travel.

We took a bike trip to Greece..island hoping and riding on a different island every day, searched on-line and found booking thru a German travel agent saved us about half the cost of doing it thru an American travel agency. You have a dream, you have the internet and you can learn a lot from others and find the right way for you!

Congrats Ironman!

2007-04-26 9:11 AM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
For me that would be a no brainer: travel!
2007-04-26 1:48 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
This isn't even debatable. Travel!
2007-04-26 3:20 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
My choice was "other." I guess I'm getting old and financially conservative, but I would save most of the money (you can buy some tri stuff if you'd like) and look for another job. Retire early, then travel.
2007-04-26 3:34 PM
in reply to: #778038

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
MikeTheBear - 2007-04-26 3:20 PM

My choice was "other." I guess I'm getting old and financially conservative, but I would save most of the money (you can buy some tri stuff if you'd like) and look for another job. Retire early, then travel.

I know this thread has probably gone on too long already, but I've got to chime in on this sentiment.

This was my parents' plan, but life had other things in mind. My parents worked very hard to build up a sizeable nest egg to enjoy in their retirement and travel. They kept working, lived frugally and waited patiently to enjoy the Good Life in their Golden Years. Then my Mom developed breast/brain cancer and three years later passed away. Just a few short years later, my Dad was also diagnosed with cancer (lymphoma) and passed away. They were not old-- 64 and 72, respectively, and seemed much younger.

The very important lesson I learned: Do not postpone the things you want to do. You do not know what life holds for you.

That doesn't mean you should live recklessly but you should take the time and spend the money to do the things you really want along the way. Good luck in your decision and HAVE FUN.

2007-04-26 5:16 PM
in reply to: #774901

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountains of Colorado!

Yellow_Dawg - 2007-04-24 3:20 PM If it were me I would not be all that impressed with my 14+ hour IM finishing time. I'd use the time and money to get fast but maybe that's just me.

hey you could use the money to buy yellow dawg a life or some friends cause he's seems unhappy....

or take the money go live out of the country and do their race series... 

2007-04-26 5:20 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
I would absolutely travel...when else do you think you might have the chance to travel freely for 1/2-1 year???  you have no obligations from what I can tell....maybe you could get a nice hybrid bike and do bike tours on your travels.  GO NOW!!!  I am very green with envy of your opportunity!
2007-04-26 5:23 PM
in reply to: #778067

User image

The very important lesson I learned: Do not postpone the things you want to do. You do not know what life holds for you. That doesn't mean you should live recklessly but you should take the time and spend the money to do the things you really want along the way. Good luck in your decision and HAVE FUN.

Well put.

2007-04-26 5:29 PM
in reply to: #778211

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
As an owner of an '07 B2, I'll throw in the "Buy the B2" vote as well and travel with the rest!
2007-04-26 6:32 PM

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL!!!

I'm 28 and a year and a half ago I took 6 mo. and did Austraila, New Zealand and Fiji (on half the money you have) - Once in a lifetime opportunity - do it while you can. I met a Triathlete who was traveling with her bike and was training with local groups as she traveled - a great way to meet the natives and keep in shape.

You wanna talk specifics feel free to send me an email - I got lots of suggestions!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

2007-04-26 9:23 PM
in reply to: #776007

Elite
Denver, Colorado

doublej - 2007-04-25 11:13 AM If it were me, at 27, I would get serious about finding a job/career that I was passionate about. Having some money in the bank is a nice cushion that you can use to go get some more education or skills or just wait for the right opportunity to come along. Maybe go do it in a new city to satisfy some of the itch to travel. And sure, buy a new tribike and train the house down while you're at it. Good job, BTW, on being debt free. Take steps to make sure you stay that way.

Glad I'm not the only fuddy-duddy here. Which leads me to this... 

I agree with Zenith 65 I am 45 and having a blast at Tri's but regret not travelling more seeing the world etc when i was younger ( yes 27 is young) also congrats on the Im finish rockin time , I only wish I could think  of finishing that fast  when I get there. Lots of time to train and race later. my 2c .

What, you have to stop living at 45? Hey, I'm all for living it up in your 20s, and I did a bit of it myself. But there's a lot to be said for finding a career you enjoy. And life does not end just because you have a family and kids. Personally, I'm really looking forward to travelling with my daughter when she's a little older.

Here's the compromise solution: Find a good job, then take vacations. Taking 6 months to travel may seem great, but that much travelling, changing time zones, eating "interesting" food and drinking "interesting" water can become stressful and you may actually feel burned out before its over.

Then again, I could just be jealous.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need help making a big decision Rss Feed  

of 4