General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shipping bikes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-04-28 6:52 AM

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: shipping bikes
Hi everyone, we need some input here - my husband and I are doing Escape from Alcatraz and need to ship both bikes from NJ. Our choices are. . . .
1. Pay LBS to dismantle and ship bikes, send to LBS in SF who will reassemble our bikes for us to pick up for race, then SF LBS will dismantle bikes and send back to our home. Cost - $600
and we'd need to ship out our bikes about 3 wks before the race.
2. Borrow double bike box from friend, dismantle ourselves and bring to airport and check, reassemble ourselves and hope we did it correctly for race then reverse process for return trip. Cost $80 (cost of oversize luggage for airline)
3. Borrow double bike box, ship to relatives in SF, have them take bikes to LBS to assemble and then P/U bikes from them day before race, then take bike box on plane with us. Cost - @ $200.

Niether my husband nor I have ever dismantled a bike before - he's a bit mechanically inclined - but we're kind of leery about doing it ourselves. What are your thoughts/suggestions on what to do??? We're also open to any other ideas you had since many of you out there have done this before. . . .Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

2007-04-28 7:20 AM
in reply to: #779765

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA
Subject: RE: shipping bikes

i'd go with option 2.  have your hubby take apart and put together the bikes a time or two at home so he's familiar with doing it and ask any questions of your LBS.

then, when you get there, if there are any small adjustments to be made, larger races usually have people there that provide some fine tuning for a tip or small amount of $$.

have fun.

k

2007-04-28 7:20 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA

i'd go with option 2.  have your hubby take apart and put together the bikes a time or two at home so he's familiar with doing it and ask any questions of your LBS.

then, when you get there, if there are any small adjustments to be made, larger races usually have people there that provide some fine tuning for a tip or small amount of $$.

have fun.

k

2007-04-28 8:18 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

The best thing you can do for yourself is to learn to assemble/disassemble your bike!  It seems like a daunting task at first, but really it is very easy and after you do it a couple of times it will be a piece of cake!  I know the first few times I took mine apart and put it together it took me a lot longer than it does now.

If you don't have a friend that knows how to do it, ask your LBS.  Most of them will show you for free or at least offer advice.  A good technique is to ask the LBS how you do it and what tools you need to do it then buy them from the store!  The key is to disassemble as little as possible!  You'll definitely have to take off the pedals (requires some kind of pedal wrench).  Definitely at least the saddle...but sometimes you can get away without moving the seatpost.  For example, my bike has a reversible seat post.  It turns out one little allen screw removes my saddle and the reversible seat post at the same time so not only do I not have to mess with the seat post height, I don't have to mess with the saddle tilt either.  Of course, this only works because I'm short.  But just a hint for you.  The first way you take it apart won't always be the best way!

One last put...eventually it might be worth investing in your own bike boxes too! 

2007-04-28 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Stupid question regarding option 1.  Is it really $600?  I have always hear it is pretty cheap option to send you bike but I could be wrong.  I mean I had my bike shipped to me for $50 when I bought it, so that would be $200 to ship 2 bike back and forth.  How much are they charge to assemble and dissemble?  Regardless, I would go with option 2 also.  Taking the bike apart is not that difficult.  Look on utube for videos, I know I have seen them for assembling bikes.
2007-04-28 10:48 AM

User image

Master
New York
Go with option 2. Dismantling/assembling bikes really isn't all that tough, and won't take you more than 15 minutes per bike per step. If need be, drop by your LBS and ask them to explain it to you. When I do it, it just involves removing the pedals, front wheel, seat post/seat and cockpit. Use zip ties to secure the bars to the frame, same with the rear wheel. Pad up the seat post/seat, and put your pedals in your luggage. All you need is a standard set of allen keys.

2007-04-28 11:26 AM
in reply to: #779804

User image

Master
NJ
Yeah - $600 total for 2 bikes - LBS charges $35 each + $100 shipping then the LBS in SF charges almost $200 to assemble, disassemble and ship back your bike!! Maybe they figure people like us who stick with local races would rather have professionals do it for a big race & will pay $$$$$ for the convenience.
Thanks for your suggestions!
2007-04-28 12:49 PM

User image

over a barrier
I would confirm the shipping cost with the airline, the airlines jack you around with bikes for some reason.

I did Miami Man last year and borrowed my dad's bike box. All you need to is mark your seat post and take off, remove peddles with peddle wrench (10 bucks), and losen your head set, and remove your wheels, and twist bars to fit in the box . Its very easy.

I shipped UPS ground from Chicago to Miami for about 35-40 bucks each way and sent it to my hotel and slapped it together in 20 mins. I can barely tie my own shoes, so if I can do it you can do it.

I didn't want the hastle of dealing with a bike box in the airport....especially with extra screening. I filled my bike box with co2 etc, since you can't fly with that...

I would UPS to your family and slap it together....

Edited by running2far 2007-04-28 12:50 PM
2007-04-28 2:22 PM
in reply to: #779897

User image

Master
NJ
good call with the co2 - of course that would have been in the plane with me since I really don't think much.
2007-04-28 8:18 PM

Austin, Texas
$600 is ridiculous. I worked in a shop, and I've boxed and shipped my bike plenty of times.

If I were you I would go with option 2 or 3. When I did the NYC Tri, it cost me $30 to Fedex my bike to NYC from Texas. It was there in 3 days. It shouldn't cost you any more than $50 for shipping. The assembly/disassembly required for boxing a bike is very simple. If you pay a shop $100 for it, you're being ripped off. $50 is pushing it. This is all that is required to put a bike in a box-

-Pull the seatpost out of the frame
-Remove the front wheel, and take the front skewer out of the wheel to cut down on width
-Remove the top steerer cap and slide the stem off of the steerer
-Take off the pedals

That's it. The only tools you will probably need are some allen wrenches and a pedal wrench.

The front wheel goes in next to the frame on the non-drive side. The handlebars hang next to the frame wherever there is room in the box. You may have to remove or adjust your aero bars to make sure they fit. Stick the seatpost with saddle next to the rear wheel. Make sure you use some bubble wrap or some other kind of padding to protect from dings in shipping.
2007-04-29 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Doing Alcatraz, too, and looking at buying a bike case.

I have a tri bike. Your handlebars fold somehow to fit in the case? And you just slide your aerobars back a bit since they can't be removed? Just wondering how that all works.

Thanks.

2007-04-29 6:51 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
For alcatraz last year, I dismantled my bike, flew with the bike ($80), dropped it off at a shop for assembly (free cause I knew someone), dropped it back off to have it shipped back ($75 shipping, free assembly) after buying a $300 bike case to do all the traveling with.

On the return trip, the LBS didn't use my box, they dropped it in a cardboard box, the computer got ripped off & the shifting cables wore through the finish down to the carbon fiber. You can imagine how p!ssed I was.

I only had the bike shop do the assembly/disassembly for convenience. Never again. I am the only one who will touch my bike because no one cares about my bike as much as I do.

Can you imagine dropping a carbon fiber bike into a single walled cardboard bike box to ship across the country? What wrench thought that that was a good idea? When my own $300 box was sittingg not 10 feet from my bike?

Next time, I'll pack it, fly with it, assemble it, ride it, disassemble it, fly with it, assemble it and ride it some more.

Shipping costs from NJ to CA will be a lot more than say MN to TX so keep that in mind as well.

2007-04-29 7:18 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
What jldicarlo and AdventureBear say is too true. The more stuff you can learn to do yourself, the better, because no one takes care of your stuff like you.
2007-04-29 8:32 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Thank you, thank you - our LBS is actually sponsoring a class on how to take apart your bike, change a flat and other bike related stuff - they'll help if we have any questions but it seems pretty straight forward.
2007-04-29 9:21 PM
in reply to: #780783

Elite
Denver, Colorado

kristinc0916 - 2007-04-29 8:32 PM Thank you, thank you - our LBS is actually sponsoring a class on how to take apart your bike, change a flat and other bike related stuff - they'll help if we have any questions but it seems pretty straight forward.

It's actually very simple.

1. Take bike apart .

2. Put bike together.

3. Hide parts that are left over.

4. Pray the d&mn thing doesn't fall apart while you're riding.

2007-04-30 7:12 AM
in reply to: #780317

User image

Master
New York
prof40 - 2007-04-29 7:08 AM

Doing Alcatraz, too, and looking at buying a bike case.

I have a tri bike. Your handlebars fold somehow to fit in the case? And you just slide your aerobars back a bit since they can't be removed? Just wondering how that all works.

Thanks.

Your basebar/aerobars are connected, no? What you do is take off the stem cap, pull the whole dang thing off the stem together, rotate it 90 degrees on the horizontal and vertical plane ( so that the shifters are pointing towards the ground, flush to the top tubes, then zip tie the crap out of it so it stays in place.

2007-04-30 12:01 PM
in reply to: #780833

User image

Master
NJ
MikeTheBear - 2007-04-29 9:21 PM

kristinc0916 - 2007-04-29 8:32 PM Thank you, thank you - our LBS is actually sponsoring a class on how to take apart your bike, change a flat and other bike related stuff - they'll help if we have any questions but it seems pretty straight forward.

It's actually very simple.

1. Take bike apart .

2. Put bike together.

3. Hide parts that are left over.

4. Pray the d&mn thing doesn't fall apart while you're riding.

thanks for the intricate instructions. Perhaps I'll just ride with some gum so if anything starts rattling, the gum will keep it stuck in place. That'll be just fine.
2007-04-30 12:13 PM
in reply to: #781558

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I've also found detailed instructions on preparing a bike for shipping on the internet. Use your favorite search engine.

I had some luck getting a cardboard bike box (double-walled with reinforced corners) from my LBS, they leave them all outside from new bikes with the packing material and everything. I even got one for a similar model, so the size was good. Just needed a lot of taping up.

If you ship with UPS, etc., just be careful about the size. At UPS, there is a size threshhold where the price jumps. You mentioned a "double bike box", which I assume is up to twice as large as a regular one. I think the regular bike boxes (now referring to luggage type, not cardboard) are just under the size threshold, keeping shipping cheap. You would likely go over with a double, but maybe the bike box instructions speak to that and are within the guidelines?

I have heard from some poeple that they are able to talk the airlines out of charging the extra fee for their bike luggage. I don't know if it's because it's the only thing they are checking or what works, but that's a possibility too. But I think airlines are more strict now in general, so maybe not.

You can always get help from the LBS with assembly if you're desperate. It's totally worth trying it yourself.
2007-04-30 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

First off, that $80 is each way I'm sure and double check that.  With a double bike box, they might say they don't have to take it.  and when you fly with your bike, it's not insured.  I have flown and UPS'd my bike. 

It is as easy as people say.  Just do a couple of things.  Take electrical tape and mark where your saddle height is now.  That way you can just put the seatpost back in at the right spot.  Take a marker and put a line across where your aerobars and the handle bars meet (if you have to take them apart).  Match the lines back up, put the seat and pedal on and you're off.  PLUS...if crap hits the fan, find someone in your hotel that is also doing the race.  I bet they will help.  Or at the race site.

You can have it UPS'd to your relatives house.  And if you ship it, it's insured (if you pay for it). 

If you read the airline rules carefully, if it's larger than X, they can deny it.  Granted, I've never heard of it happenning before, but you will pay.  Delta is $100 each way btw.  I know Airtran is $65 each way.

Do it now and put it together.  You can work out the kinks ahead of time.

2007-05-01 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Looking at the Velo Safe Pro-Series Original for $479.95, or the Velo Safe Pro-Series Custom Road for $489.95. The description for the latter says that you don't have to remove pedals or handlebars, but I'm sure I'll have to reposition aeros.

Anyone have either? Like/hate it?

USAir's site says it's an $80 fare each way. UPS wants $161 one way, and the shipping company that advertises on the USAir site wants $180. So I'm flying with the bike.

Can I put CO2s in the case or do I leave them at home and buy a couple at the race?

Thanks for all the advice.
2007-05-01 9:25 AM
in reply to: #782868

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

prof40 - 2007-05-01 7:15 AM Looking at the Velo Safe Pro-Series Original for $479.95, or the Velo Safe Pro-Series Custom Road for $489.95. The description for the latter says that you don't have to remove pedals or handlebars, but I'm sure I'll have to reposition aeros. Anyone have either? Like/hate it? USAir's site says it's an $80 fare each way. UPS wants $161 one way, and the shipping company that advertises on the USAir site wants $180. So I'm flying with the bike. Can I put CO2s in the case or do I leave them at home and buy a couple at the race? Thanks for all the advice.

For bike boxes that large, yes, it will will more expensive.  I have a sunlite which conforms to UPS shipping standard (so much cheaper).  Be sure you read US air's policy on size.

No, you can't fly with CO2.  It likes to expand and explode.

2007-05-26 9:34 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
2007-05-26 10:38 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
I don't know if this is a good idea, but I bet you could demo (or rent) some high end bikes for the weekend from a local Bay area shop.  It would have to be less than shipping.  Then you'd only need to bring your pedals, shoes and helmets.  
2007-05-27 5:40 AM

User image

Not to make you nervous...but I will be praying for you...Shipping your beloved bike is something near and dear to my heart...When my husband and I shipped our bikes using UPS to Moab UT for our honeymoon mine never showed up. I spent half my honeymoon on the phone...I think I would trust the airline more believe it or not...UPS was pretty useless and refused to refund the cost of renting bikes all week. Good luck!!
2007-05-27 10:00 AM

User image

Master
NJ
We wound up going with a shipping co. - TriBike Transport that will ship our bikes in a truck out to SF and back again. The bikes are shipped all put together so we don't have to worry about putting them back together and stuff. It was $$$$$$ for 2 bikes and we had to ship them out 2 wks. prior to race day. It was just one less thing for us to worry about when the # of things to worry about is worrying me.
Thanks to everyone who had suggestions and ideas
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » shipping bikes Rss Feed  

of 2