General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 44-49
Age Group Rank = 17/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 3:30 am (yuk). Breakfest 4 pancakes, 2 cups of coffee, left at 5 am for the 2 hour plus drive. Arrived in plenty of time. Picked up my chip, got marked, and set up my transition area. Great traffic control despite the traffic jam at the park gate.
Event warmup:

Ran around the lake (about a mile) once as a warm-up, changed into my wetsuit, swam about 200 yards. Felt good.
Swim
  • 16m 16s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim has always been my achilles heel. Although I'm not a great swimmer, I'm usually able to hold my own. I did have more anxiety than usual since I have been unable to swim near as much as I would have liked, but my fitness is good and I expected that anxiety would diminish as pre-race jitters normally do. The first 200 meters was awesome. Smooth, no issues. I actually managed to keep up with the pack and not get mauled too bad. Once I rounded the bouy I'm not sure what happened but I started having some rotation (Pain) issues with my left shoulder. I adjusted my stroke which slowed me down, then panic set in. The pack left me and the next wave began to catch me. This pretty much killed me. How could something going so good, end so bad. The last couple hundred meters was pure pain and survival. Shoulder pain, heart rate up around the max, legs felt terrible! Once I reached the shore and exited I just wanted to get on my bike.
What would you do differently?:

Unsure. Train more? Hire a coach?
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Transition went alright despite how I felt. Dizzy, out of breath, and heart up around 166 (My training max). Slowed down to lower heart rate. Overally transition was ok.

Need to learn to start with the shoes clipped on the bike.
Bike
  • 35m 36s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall I'm not too upset with my bike performance. I had to start off very slow for the first few miles to get my heart rate down. Recovering from the swim was tough. Once my heart rate was down I picked up the pace and was able to hold 20 mph + for the remainder of the race. I even reach 35 mph on the last hill. Unfortunately the damaged was done.

Nothing under the circumstances.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Heart rate in the 150's. Very high for me at this point. Transition was ok. Slight trouble with one of my shoes, no big deal.
Run
  • 24m 9s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall my run performance was much slower than I planned (As was everything). This is the first time in an athletic event of any type I can remember where I was mentally beaten. It's really a shame since I trained very hard and my confidence was so high at the start. I just picked a comfortable pace that I could maintain and I stuck with it. What else could I do?

Nothing under the circumstances.
Post race
Warm down:

Sulked, wimper, licked my mental wounds. Ate a bananna, and a bagel. Went back to watch the finish of the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim training. I probably should not have raced this race. With my swimming ability level I need to train more. I assumed my fitness level would compensate for my lack of swimming over the last few months. Definately not the case. I am going to reassess my race calendar and probably drop the Tri the Parks race in May and opt for a duathlon that being ran on the same day. Plus continue to swim.

Event comments:

This was a great event. Beautiful weather, great course. Plenty of volunteers. All in all, a bad day racing beats a good day at work any day! And congratulations to Lhablas (Lou)! Great job!

Last updated: 2007-03-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:16 | 656 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: 2XU Bibjohn
Course: Counter clockwise 1 lap.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:36 | 11.2 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Excellent course! Rolling with a couple of small hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:24:09 | 03.1 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Average Heart Rate on the run 1:50. Much higher than normal.
Course: Loop course with off set turn around point. Very deceptive as far as distance. When I saw the 1 mile marker I thought damn that was a long first mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-30 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
BFE
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2007-04-30 1:16 PM
in reply to: #781691

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
Way to go, David...when I saw you heading in on the run, you looked strong.  Sorry the race didn't go as planned, but you looked solid and did well, despite the lack of swim training!  Looking forward to seeing you at another race later in the season!  (and thanks for the props in your RR - too kind, my friend)
2007-04-30 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Great race! The swim was tough for many of us on this race- not much you can do about the shoulder pain- it happened to me last year and never happened again. Great bike and run splits. You said it best- a bad day racing beats working! Not every race can be a PR. Congrats on finishing strong despite the tough conditions.
2007-04-30 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Do you think your bike incident on the Comet had something to do with the shoulder pain on the swim?  I'm sorry to hear it didn't go as you planned, but at least you know that if you can get the swim down you'll be golden.  Try not to get too discouraged - your bike and run splits are still awesome.
2007-04-30 3:15 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

Shake it off and get ready for the next one. I agree with Meredith that the "pink bike incident" certainly had alot to do with your swimming. Let me know if you need anything.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed