United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 27m 11s
Overall Rank = 80/109
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/10
Pre-race routine:

It was a tough morning. I had to make some appearances at a couple of community events, the Kiwanis/Sea Scout pancake breakfast, and the church yard sale. I had three pancakes (fairly small), two sausage patties, and half a cup of coffee at the breakfast. I stopped in to see the yard sale, then ran home because I forgot my watch, and needed to go #2. Then off to the race in the chilly rain.
Event warmup:

Once I signed in and ran the t-shirt back to the van, I ran around the park where the race was starting at an easy pace. Then I did some stretching and chatting with folks I knew.
Run
  • 27m 11s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran with a friend... which was a surprise. He said he was going to run, but he didn't tell me he was going to run with me. This was the first run where I had ever run with anyone else. It made a huge difference. I couldn't believe it. I had also decided to hit the beginning of the run fairly hard, and I think that helped, at least for this short distance.
What would you do differently?:

I really can't say since this was my best race so far...
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, drank water, stretched a little, ate a bagel and some pieces of apple, ran after my kid...

Event comments:

I was really disappointed to find out that the course was short, when it didn't need to be. A true out and back course would have been very close. Otherwise I enjoyed the race

Last updated: 2007-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:11 | 02.9 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/109
Performance: Good
Course: The race was not as flat as I had been led to believe. It was the hilliest 5k I have seen, but this is West Virginia after all. There was something like 250 feet of climbing we needed to do. The course was mainly an out and back course, but not truly. If it was, we would have been much closer to 3.1 miles. The start of the race ran around the block that was the park, with a decent uphill and then descent, followed by a winding, rolling course to the turn around point. When we returned to the park, we did not do the exact reverse, but simply ran through the finish line rather than run around the park as we did at the beginning.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-30 10:18 PM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh
Subject: Parent's Place 5k

2007-05-01 6:50 AM
in reply to: #782737

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Parent's Place 5k
Nice job, and you came in under a 10 min mile, with a hilly course.  Way to go!
2007-05-01 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Earth
Great job, and congrats on your best race to date.  I know it is always great having those.
2007-05-01 8:09 PM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

After talking with another BT'er who also ran the race... it seems the race was slightly longer than I thought... so I have edited the distance to reflect what seems to be correct now.  It was still short, but not as bad as I thought.

Peace. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Parent's Place 5k Rss Feed