vacation sports
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 12s
Overall Rank = 99/100
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

got there about 20 mins. before start time. got number and pinned up. Free t-shirt too, normally do not take but it was cold so I grabbed it.
Event warmup:

Did some stretches with Alex's, did some skipping and also some lunge walks. Got lined up. Waited for while they pulled it together. they made some pre- race announcements that me and the rest of the back of the packers could not hear.I did not even hear the start horn.
Run
  • 1h 23m 12s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

My experience: The first mile was fine, once I got the less private parts I was more concerned with distance, thinking I had missed the mile markers. When I got by the water station, there was no indication of which way to go- that made me mad. But I figured it out and regained my footing. I was little annoyed on the rural road, cars were not willing to go around me and the runners who had already made the turn. I was mad, I even flicked a car off; we were both wrong. Once I turned I was in better spirits. At mile 5, it got WINDY. Let's be clear, no wind on your back or front. It was sideways and CUTTING. By Mile 5.5 I was just moving to move, I was mentally done. When I finally made it the end,the chute had been taken down so I had to yell at the junior varsity track team who were running the race clock,"where do I stop!". I was mean to them but it was not there fault (I am sorry). I think he clocked me a few seconds after I stopped, when I asked him if he clocked me. See my second rant below.
split times:
mile 1= 13:21 mile 2= 27:31 mile 3= 40:55 ( regular 5 time) mile 4= 53:50 mile 5=107:00 mile 6= 121:00
What would you do differently?:

nothing, train harder. I was in the running groove and my heart was there. My time is right on par with what I have been doing. So yeah I could faster but overall until I get a running training, I am fast enough.
Post race
Warm down:

walked a little, got some sugar free chocolate. did some small stretches, could of done more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the wind, the damn sideways wind. Only grace was no rain.

Event comments:

The race was not organized. From check in to start time (6 mins late), to pre-race announcements that could not be heard by 100 people, to the lack of support out on the non closed road course(at one point the cop pulled up on my side to tell me I needed to be on the other side of the road). A few more cones and a few more junior varsity team members would of been nice. This is a bigger personal issue that I need write up for BT, but the back of the packers deserve the same respect and treatment as the front of the packers. The chute was down, the clock was not working, and the help was not so trained or supported to help either. It was bad. I will never do a vacation sports event again.

Last updated: 2007-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:23:12 | 06.21 miles | 13m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 99/100
Performance: Average
heart rate i left it at home, will add later.
Course: the course: started around the park, up the "private" lake road, against the highway, and back against the lake, more neighbor-hoody on a rural road, into another park where we turned around. some hills on the last part but mostly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-05-05 3:59 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: Jump To It 10K

2007-05-05 6:07 PM
in reply to: #789949

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Jump To It 10K

Sorry you had a bad experience, but sounds like a you had a good overall time.

Don't say you won't do something like this again - just that race organization didn't have it together.  99% of races I've done HAVE it organized for everyone.  BOPers as well...  obviously this is one you won't do again, but you might find another one that's run better.

Don't know if this was the first year, or a small organization (sounds like maybe the high school put it on or something?) but with that kind of organizer - sometimes you gotta cut them some slack.  Especially if the first year or two.

Great job!

2007-05-07 8:31 AM
in reply to: #789949

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Jump To It 10K

Nice race, BGT. Way to go on finishing a 10k! I have yet to do that, so I am jealous. Congrats!

Vacation Sports events are usually fairly disorganized, it seems. The race director is a nice guy, but pretty laid back as far as race directors go. I think that can be ok if the racer knows that going in to the race, but most don't and therefore are surprised and often upset. (I volunteered at a VS event a couple summers ago and I hear many grumblings from the athletes, FOP and BOP alike, so you are not alone.) Even though he's a nice guy, though, I don't think there's any excuse for having the chute and timing equipment packed away before everyone is off the course! That's just wrong. Sorry that it happened to you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jump To It 10K Rss Feed