Canada
Vancouver International Marathon Society
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M3034
Age Group Rank = 105/337
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am. Pinned on number and attached chip etc. Drove to Vancouver and parked in Gastown. Waited at my office until 20 minutes before the race was supposed to start. Wore an old sweater and turfed it at the start line.
Event warmup:

Slowly jogged from the office to the start line.
Run
  • 1h 46m 9s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 02s  min/km
Comments:

I signed up for this race at the last minute. I'm training for Ironman Canada right now. I haven't been doing any fast running at all since last spring, and I have only been running about 3 days a week. My swimming and biking are both progressing really well, but I was feeling a bit uneasy about my current running ability. So I decided at the last minute to sign up for the half to test my running fitness.

My objective was to target 165bpm on my heart rate monitor. My average ended up being a little lower (162bpm).

I'm quite happy with my results. Its not a PB -- by a long shot -- but I'm in better shape than I thought I was in. I finished really strong, and ran the second half faster than the first half, despite the giant hill in the second half.

My splits were:
First Half: 53:57
Second Half: 52:13

I wore my Primal Wear tuxedo jersey. It got me lots of attention from the crowd. Steve King even mentioned it over the PA at the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate food in BC Place. Wrapped myself in a sheet of plastic. Walked back to Gastown wrapped in plastic.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ate something the day before the race that upset my stomach. I spent most of the mornimg before the race on the toilet, but I did manage to avoid the port-a-potties along the race course.

Event comments:

The aid stations were giving out ultima. I'm a gatorade guy, so I just drank water and ate a gel and a pack of sport beans.

Last updated: 2007-05-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:46:09 | 21.1 kms | 05m 02s  min/km
Age Group: 105/337
Overall: 337/
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat except one large hill at Prospect Point. Half marathon covers the nicer part of the full marathon (which I have done twice)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-06 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
Subject: Vancouver Half Marathon

The tuxedo shirt..... 

Edited by ultramike 2007-05-06 6:52 PM

2007-05-06 8:02 PM
in reply to: #790633

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Vancouver Half Marathon
Great Job on the race.
Nice to see you still got it w hen you think you dont!

Nice shirt.
2007-05-06 8:43 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Yeah, I'd think that jersey WOULD get some attention.  Great time for not even "your best."  sounds like you had a good race!  Sorry about the stomach issues - those things bite.

Edited by cadreamer 2007-05-06 8:44 PM
2007-05-06 8:51 PM

Great job considering you haven't been doing much running in a while, and also I'm impressed with the excellent negative split! Way to go.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vancouver Half Marathon Rss Feed