United States
Set-Up, Inc.
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 11m 23s
Overall Rank = 397/527
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 68/82
Pre-race routine:

rode bike from friend's house to site; set up transition area; got body marked; visited with friends
Event warmup:

drank a red bull, light stretching, lots of walking trying to find another swim cap to replace the one I left back at the house; visited with Bostic, Stake, Tzmitch and Chris Hughes. Saw OneSteptheother and let her body mark me :) Saw TrinNC as he was getting ready. Also met ADollar in the body marking line.
Swim
  • 45m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

not a bad swim, not a great swim. better than last year. thought my navigation was better, though still could use a lot of work. didn't feel I was out there that long.
What would you do differently?:

learn to swim faster (like bostic or tzmitch)
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

not bad. a little trouble getting off the wet suit. sat down to put the socks on. Overall not bad, a little slower than last year.

nothing really
Bike
  • 2h 55m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

best ride I have had yet in any of the four 1/2's I have competed in, so that was a good thing. Set the computer for distance and cadence, so I did not know how fast I was going or heart rate. Pushed just past the comfort level. Passed a good number of people and got passed by others. Felt good the whole time. Drank every 2.5miles and some gel every 5 to 7 miles. Only took 2 salt pills.

push harder, bike more in preparation, take more salt pills in preparation for the run. It was just so pleasant that I didn't think I needed them.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

good transition. had a red bull to give some energy, but more importantly to try and get some carbonation in me. Between the gels and the Inifit, my stomach usually needs a good few burps, so I thought this might help. I think it did. maybe should have carried it with me further, but I put down a half full can.

carry the red bull with me further.
Run
  • 2h 25m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

well, the goal this year was not to walk on the run. I was going to take gels from the gel flask as needed at aid stations with water and salt tabs as needed. That plan worked until mile 10. Actually at mile 9, my stomach felt like the best thing that could happen was to throw up. But I couldn't make myself do it. At mile 10, the legs locked up. I walked approximately 2.5 of the last 3 miles of this race.

get some more solid stuff in me, or figure out how to get enough calories in to keep going. take more salt tabs. maybe take a gas-x pill or two with me to settle my stomach so I could burp. Nutrition issues are still killing me in the run, though they are coming later and later. That's an improvement right?
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, sat in the lake with Bostic, Stake and Chippy. walked bike and stuff back to house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nutrition issues again. Also, not training for the past 4 weeks didn't help the situation.

Event comments:

Despite the disaster on the run, I had a great time. Now, this is of course 48 hours later. At miles 11-12, I was seriously thinking of not doing another 1/2 and limiting myself to olympic distance races. But, really I enjoy this distance. (I'm strange that way) As I told one of the aid station volunteers, we pay good money to feel this bad. Wish I was a better swimmer. The biking and the running I know I can do, but the swimming just isn't clicking.

I ran this race without a watch. I really think that helped. No issues of feeling like I was behind or anything like that. The only negative voices I had to battle were during the swim and the last leg of the run. I think I will do that at Duke as well. Just go race to the extent my body can handle it and see where we end up. I actually had fun not worrying about the actual time and just pushing myself. Without the 2.5 miles of walking, I beat last year's time handily. So, nutrition is still the puzzle I have to solve.
Had a great time with Bostic, Tri-n-NC, Chippy, Stake, Chris Hughes and TZMitch. Jenneunc, Chippy and OnefoottheOther were great cheerleaders. You guys don't know how nice that was to hear my name from the crowd.

Last updated: 2007-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:57 | 2112 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 70/82
Overall: 430/527
Performance: Average
Suit: short sleeve, short pants suit
Course: start on one dock, angle out, then a right turn for the longest leg, then angle back in to the finish dock. lake was very smooth Saturday morning, unlike Sunday for the sprint
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:55:42 | 56 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 61/82
Overall: 346/527
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: sort of a shield shaped course. You go around 3/4 of the lake, take a right and head what I would call south. eventually you take a right for a short ways and then a third right puts you on 53 heading back in. Going south roads are in good shape. coming in, not so much. they seemed better than last year, like they smoothed out the seams in the road some.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:25:06 | 13.1 miles | 11m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/82
Overall: 407/527
Performance: Below average
Course: two out and backs, sort of a question mark shaped course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-08 4:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: White Lake Half

2007-05-08 8:18 AM
in reply to: #792499

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC
Subject: RE: White Lake Half

This was still a solid race for you.  I'm like you in that I really like this distance, even if it is pretty painful sometimes.  I think that if you figure out what happens at the end of the run you'll be really strong at the half. 

It was really good to meet you.  I'll see you at some of the other upcoming races and the Collier Lilly ride, I hope, too. 

2007-05-08 8:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountains of Colorado!
good job, here we come duke!!!
2007-05-08 10:21 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Nice meeting you.  Enjoyed the RR.  You did a great job fighting through the challenges to an impressive finish.  Congrats!
2007-05-08 12:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC

Hey Spot,

Way to hang in there! It seems lots of us did not have a good training month in April!

Try something w/o simple sugar in your training and see how it goes. I know what you mean about burping and I was able to get rid of all those no problem. I was using Perpetuem and water at the aid stations. Hope to meet you at a race this year!

Fred

2007-05-09 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Great Race!! Way to push through!! We will definitely have to hook up at the next race....seems like there was a lot of us there and yet we did not have a common meeting place!!!

2007-05-14 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Awesome race Dick! As usual, you're great company to be around and race with!  Thanks for all the encouragement on the course.  I look forward to racing with you again!

The swimming will come.  You've got that long lanky build - it will come. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed