Set-Up, Inc.
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 55m 25s
Overall Rank = 485/527
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 77/82
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, cup of coffee, half a bagel and I think 1 endurolyte. Mixed up the Perpetuem and filled the gel bottles.
Event warmup:

Running around setting up transition and getting marked, last bathroom stop (or so I thought)
Swim
  • 51m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was most pleased with this part of the race. My goal was out of the water in under 50 minutes. As I reached up for the ladder my HRM was reading 50:20 and that was after we let 2 fast ladies go ahead. My sighting is so bad. I pull to the right and if the swim course is curving away from you that makes for some interesting angles. This swim took 5 minutes longer than it should have but the actual swimming part was no problem. I kept to my usual start off slow and finish with a group of people who have caught me. There is logic to perhaps starting off faster? This time is about 5 minutes faster than the only open water swim time I have from last year.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start a little faster but concentrate on swimming straight and sighting. I was halfway done before I had settled into a really good method for incoporating sighting into the stroke.
Transition 1
  • 07m 19s
Comments:

This actually took a little longer than expected but it has more activity in it than any other race I have ever done. The wetsuit was a little difficult getting off but not too bad. I took a shot of gel and water and sprayed on some sunscreen (not enough and not very well)

Go to the bathroom! This cost me dearly 1 hour later. I had been feeling this coming since before the swim start and should have jumped into a Port-a-John at the enrance to transition.
Bike
  • 3h 14m
  • 56 miles
  • 17.32 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a great learning experience. As I mentioned in the T1 section I had to go BAD! I absolutely could not get into aero for the first 53 minutes and it was killing me! A friend caught me and knew exactly what the deal was as it happened to him last year. He told me to pull off as quick as I could and go. After turning onto 210 I finally found a road into the woods with a metal cable across the entrance to hang the bike on. I thought I must have peed for 5 minutes and the HRM says I was stopped for 6 so it was close. The course is good. After the stop I was staying well above 18 mph until hitting 53. The road surface of 53 sucks the speed out of you and I was getting some tired the last 10 miles (backache, buttache, etc). I had mixed 4.5 scoops of perpetuem into a bottle with 6 endurolytes (2 per hour for 3 hours). The mix worked GREAT and I just kept filling my aero bottle with water. Also had 2 gel shots on the bike.

Ride the whole ride like I did the last 2 hrs. I could have got a sub-3 hr time for this ride without certain "issues". However, April's weather really hurt the bike and run for me as several long ride and runs had to be dropped. This was a good time for what I actually brought to the race.
Transition 2
  • 04m 50s
Comments:

Made a mistake here. I took 2 more Race Caps here with an endurolyte and gel shot. Stomach did not feel right and I think it was the Race Caps. I normally take them 1 hour before working out.

Not take the Race Caps.
Run
  • 2h 37m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a bit of stomach issue after T2 but it was not major, more of an uncomfortable feeling for 45 minutes. However, I was running about a 10 minute mile during this time. I had 2 bottles of Perpetuem on the fuel belt with 10 oz in each and I was drinking water at every rest stop. I got lax on the gels and endurolytes and it cost me on the second lap. I was afraid to gel due to the stomach issue and afraid to take endurolytes for the same reason. I did take one endurolyte at about 1 hour in. I was actually surprised at my time as I had to walk for 10-15 minutes on the second lap. One of these times was just at the end of my first lap at a water stop as Jeff Bostic caught me. We talked and Jeff said if he stopped one more time it was going to be very tough to get going again. I knew then I was not the only one feeling rough and that picked me up immensely. As bad as things got I still got pretty close to my goal of 2.5 hrs. I think 2 more endurolytes and 1 gel shot would have made a big difference.

I was happy with the HR (it was actually sort of low when running) but I needed to take the endurolytes more consistently, probably 1 every half hour. Second lap was rough and I was feeling bad after turning back into Waterford. My last 2 miles were extremely slow running as the left quad/calf was beginning to cramp but I was so close to finishing I did not take anything.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, eating cookies, spent about 10 minutes in the lake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and nutrition. I knew coming in I was going to pay somewhere for not getting enough run and bike miles in during April. Getting off slightly in nutrition during the run was more mental. I just was not thinking clearly.

Event comments:

As usual, SetUp does a great job. The race itself is always well supported and I cannot begin to say enough about the volunteers for this race. They are simply awesome. This race was such a good learning experience for me. I did not finish with a "I'll never do this again" attitude but a "come on Duke" attitude. I enjoy these longer races and would like to see what I can do when really in shape. A big thanks to Jeff Bostic for picking me up just before he finished and a huge WE MISSED YOU and get better soon to the Wakeman.

Last updated: 2007-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:28 | 2112 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 76/82
Overall: 0/527
Performance: Average
Suit: QR sleveless
Course: Triangular with a seeming crescent shape to the backside. I thought it was me but others also did not think the back leg of the course was straight.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:14:00 | 56 miles | 17.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 77/82
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Good
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:37:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 74/82
Performance: Below average
150 HR avg
Course: Out and back 2 lap course. Flat as can be expected.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-08 8:26 AM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Subject: White Lake Half

2007-05-08 8:38 AM
in reply to: #792655

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountains of Colorado!
Subject: RE: White Lake Half
good job....i'll see ya at duke? right?
2007-05-08 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great race through some tough issues.  Congrats!
2007-05-08 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

congrats fred!!! AWESOME race, solid and steady. I hear you about having to pee on the bike. It's so tough to keep going when you know you've gotta go

Way to finish with the right attitude! awesome job! 

2007-05-09 6:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Sounds like you had similar stomach issues to me.  Hope to see you at Duke and we can both improve there. (of course, not taking the month of april off would probably help us both)
2007-05-09 9:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Way to go Fred!  Way to hang!

It was great to see you out there!  Anything that has Half Ironman deserves some respect!  You did fantastic in your race!  Grats on the finish!  It was awesome to see you and wifey once again.  Next stop Mission Man!!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed