nyrr.org
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 8s
Overall Rank = 1309/1386
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 528/560
Pre-race routine:

I suppose it can't be helped that I was at a graduation party the night before a long race, can it? Not to mention that I made up my own yummy vodka drink and had a couple three or four and stayed up past 11?
Oh well, the alarm went off at quarter to 7 and I was like, what? I ate a half a Power Bar and drank my green tea. Brianna was crying she was so tired and did NOT want to get up. Once we got some food in her, she woke up a bit and was her cheery self. She was even singing in the car on the way there - what a trooper! We got to Central Park in a flash and found parking very close to the start. I had to find a porta pottie (ew!) b/c I had to pee. God I hate those things. Its like a phobia with me. My version of hell would include being stuck in a place with tons to drink and eat and only porta potties as far as the eye could see.
Event warmup:

None really, just walking around from the porta potties to the start to find Jen - who was looking sassy in her pink top (I gotta get me some better warm weather running duds). It was great to see her at a race again.
Run
  • 1h 56m 8s
  • 10 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my second longest race/run distance ever in my entire life. The idea here was to see how I could handle it - not race it - just run it as if I were training.
My right knee is now the problem child of the whole lower body, so I was expecting some twinges, just not as early as mile 2. That sucked, I usually get a good 3 outta these stems before they start to holla.
Saw the family at around mile 4 - which was a great boost, high-fived Brianna, Jorge and Nelson and heard Bongo barking from the sidelines.
Anyway, we talked pretty much the whole race - it was a catch up/therapy session for both of us. We covered vacations, training, upcoming races, relationships, work, childbearing and rearing, premarital sex, you name it, we pretty much covered it. It really passed the time and I was able to focus on something other than my pain in the butt knee and hip. We took walk breaks whenever and even stopped for a pee break (yep, had to brave another disgusting porta pottie)
She could tell when I was really hurting, which was after mile 7 because it was harder for me to keep up my end of the convo. I was pretty much one-word-answering her by then or grunting and nodding. Must have been hard to watch - so Jen - you are the bomb for running with me!
I really had no time goal for this race, but when we saw it was possible to finish in less than two hours, that's what we worked for.
Coming down the last few hundred yards or so, we saw Jorge and Brianna and Bongo again. They were screaming and yelling for us (my favorite part of a race) and I really tried to run harder. Again I heard Bongo barking after me - his little playful yippy bark - so that made us laugh through the finish line.
My cardio was fine the whole way it was my damn leg that held me back. Maybe I'll be able to get it down to a 1:45 finish one day, but for now, sub two hours is plenty good.
What would you do differently?:

nothing, this was just my way of celebrating mother's day.
i do think its time for a knee brace and to have my stride analyzed to see if there's something i'm doing wrong
Post race
Warm down:

limped a bit - grabbed a water and banana and a gatorade
said bye to Jen and headed out for breakfast

What limited your ability to perform faster:

pain in the right leg

Event comments:

five NYRR races down - four to go!

Last updated: 2007-05-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:56:08 | 10 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/560
Overall: 0/1386
Performance: Good
MILE 1 = 11:23 MILE 2 = 10:43 MILE 3 = 12:10 MILE 4 = 11:07 MILE 5 = 11:09 MILE 6 = 12:33 MILE 7 = 10:53 MILE 8 = 13:05 MILE 9 = 12:09 MILE 10 = 11:04
Course: The usual Central Park loop-de-loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-14 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: Junior League Mothers Day 10M

2007-05-14 12:12 PM
in reply to: #799514

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Junior League Mothers Day 10M
Fun times for sure!  See you at the mini 10k!
2007-05-14 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
You are one awesome chica!!! I am so proud of you for working through the pain and finishing this race.  Super job!
2007-05-14 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
I must say YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!! I am so very proud of you for getting out there and doing a 10 mile race with a bum knee and not much run training!!  I can only hope that when the time comes to do my 1/2 I can be just like you!!!!!!
2007-05-17 3:33 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
AWESOME race!  Way to push through the pain and finish strong!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Junior League Mothers Day 10M Rss Feed