General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tugaloo Olympic Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Lavonia, Georgia
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 10s
Overall Rank = 146/337
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 24/44
Pre-race routine:

I didn't sleep much the night before, I was nervous since this was my first Olympic Distance Triathlon. I was worried about completing the distances because I'd dealt with 2 dislocated toes, a stomach flu, and a bad head cold all within the last three weeks leading up to today. It put a dent in my training. I tried running 5 miles 2 days ago and bonked.

I arrived at Tugaloo State Park, Lavonia, Georgia at 5:35am. Normal setup of gear. Ate Oatmeal at 5:15am, a gel at 6:30 with some gatorade. I realized after the race that I ingested way too much sugar. Race started at 8:00am.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike a bit and swam in the lake, water was nice and warm. It was a beautiful day and the 3rd anniversary of Sept 11th. I'm not an emotional guy, not in the least. I've completed 3 sprints in the last 6 weeks and felt nothing more than satisfaction in getting through the course. However, today was different.

To start with, the National Anthem had special meaning as we all remembered 9/11 and the death of a local cyclist with a moment of silence before the race. It was very hard not to well up. As we looked across the lake or up at the blue sky through the pines, I was thinking of what a great country we live in and how so many have suffered for our beloved freedom.

Today was, for me, the culmination of much training and anticipation that began back in June 2004 when I "got off the couch". Upon finishing the race, I was caught off guard by the overwhelming flood of emotions. It is amazing how so much pain will put you in touch with stuff that resides so deeply within you.

Swim
  • 30m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim went very well and was quite enjoyable. It was the best swim of any race for me this year. It wasn't terribly fast, but just enjoyable. I did wind up swallowing some air during the swim which caused a stitch on the bike towards the end of the course. I was able to sight very well and never veered off course. I only had to navigate 2 right hand turns and both went very well. There was considerable glare on the leg back to the beach, so I just focused on following the bubble trails of the folks in front of me.
What would you do differently?:

More aerobic training. I went slow knowing I'd need to save some for the run.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Fairly long run out of the lake to the transition area (T1). Race organizers had little wading pools for us to step in to rinse off our feet, nice touch.
Bike
  • 1h 20m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Lavonia is in the "mountains" of northeast Georgia, so the topography was very lumpy. About half of the course was through farm country and the wind was pretty strong when there weren't trees to block it.

It was a good ride. Just need more hill based miles under my belt to get the MPH's up on hilly courses. Also, I began to get sick of the sweet taste of my gatorade. Next time, it will be diluted.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

No problems.
Run
  • 60m 39s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I faded badly on the run, just tanked. I've battled a stomach virus and a head cold in the last two weeks and my body was very tired. This is a very slow pace for me and I believe it was due to the lack of training lately because of the illnesses. It was a great gut check as I now know what it takes to really compete in one of these races.

I realized I need to study up more on the nutrition. I could feel my bladder needed relief about 2 miles into the run. I drank nothing but gatorade and GU on the course. Normally, I don't produce urine when exercising and remembered that sugar is a diuretic. Next time, I'll try to bring along some more solids that don't contain so much sugar. I will also study salt supplements as a way to retain more water. By the middle of the run, I couldn't tolerate anymore sweet liquids and stuck to the water in the aid stations.
Post race
Warm down:

Took about 15 minutes to catch my breath and get the heart rate down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just a pure lack of aerobic capacity and leg strength on the finish.

Event comments:

I will be back next year, hopefully better and faster than ever, to conquer this beast

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:21 | 1500 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/44
Overall: 71/337
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: Oval course, clockwise around bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:00 | 24.85 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/44
Overall: 105/337
Performance:
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: The course was very, very hilly and windy. There were many parts of the course that went through farm land where there were no trees to shield us from the wind. It lowered my usual MPH's. This was a pretty hard ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:60:39 | 06.2 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/44
Overall: 233/337
Performance: Bad
Course: Course was designed by masochists and was very hilly. The run began with an uphill climb and had quite a few killer climbs. The 5 mile marker was located at the bottom of a long and steep climb and within hearing range of the cheers at the finish line. Many people, including myself, wound up walking some of this hill. I had completely run out of gas at mile 5. The rest of the run was just painful.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-13 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Distance Triathlon

2004-09-13 4:37 PM
in reply to: #60912

User image

Atlanta
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Distance Triathlon
Outstanding finish, whish that I could have been there. Maybe next year!! Congrats!!
2004-09-14 5:34 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Great job and good race report....
thanks for the insight on the gu and gatorade....and I agree...I need to research the nutrition during tris a bit more....I've had the same results during my tris....

congrats!

2004-09-14 9:53 PM
in reply to: #61636

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Way to go, tri-bro! I hope to be there w/ you and Tom next yr!!

Tony
2004-11-08 8:42 PM

Veteran
Alabama
Great race! You have these pictures posted in your album, but didn't allow comments. I wanted to say you are the first person I've heard say that their swim was "relaxing and peaceful", glad it was good for you! Sorry your run wasn't up to your expectations, but considering the pre-race week you had had, you did superbly!
K
2004-11-11 9:39 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Woo Hoo, Karl!  You did an Oly!

Learning about nutrition will be interesting...I am always wondering if I am eating enough and if the food is the right stuff for training...let us know what you find out!

Jen

2004-11-11 9:48 PM
in reply to: #80574

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

KSMITH - 2004-11-08 8:42 PM Great race! You have these pictures posted in your album, but didn't allow comments. I wanted to say you are the first person I've heard say that their swim was "relaxing and peaceful", glad it was good for you! Sorry your run wasn't up to your expectations, but considering the pre-race week you had had, you did superbly! K

It was the longest, but the best swim I've ever had.  They started us two by two, so it wasn't a big wave start.  There was no thrashing and kicking.  Just a nice, relaxed and easy swim.  The rest of the race was murder.

I didn't realize I had prevented comments on the pics in the album.  Thanks for the heads up, I changed the settings.

2004-11-12 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Congrats on a great race!!!  I look forward to the day when I can post that any swim was relaxed!!!  
2004-11-12 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
WOW! I am very inspired by your race report - that was a great swim - very quick! Well done.
I am very proud of you Mr Motivated! After battling illness you did an amazing job!
M
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Distance Triathlon Rss Feed