W2 Promotions, Inc.
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 10s
Overall Rank = 184/1093
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/72
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0545 and ate a banana nut muffin for breakfast. Was out the door by 0620, and made the drive from Costa Mesa to San Pedro. It took slightly longer than expected and I arrived at the race area about 0710. The area was congested with cars and there was no place to park. After searching around for a place to park, I wound up parking about a half mile or so away. By the time I arrived at the race site to pick up my number, it was past 0730, and the race had already started. Because I was doing this as a training run, I wasn't overly concerned, but definitely would have prefered to have been on time. I then had to hit the porta potty before starting out. Somehow I had forgotten my Garmin back at the hotel, so I had to run with my regular Timex watch and do the splits manually. By the time I took off running, I was about 6 and half minutes behind everybody else. Unfortunately, this was not a chip race, and what I have reflected above is my actual time, and not my offical time of 1:55:35. (The rankings are also based on my actual time).
Event warmup:

The half mile jog from my parking place to the race site served as my unintended warmup.
Run
  • 1h 49m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran in total solitude for the first half mile or so, before coming upon a lot of folks who were walking the course. Starting the course quite a bit after everybody else was interesting. I must have passed approximately 800 people (officially finishing 284 out of 1093, even with the late start) along the way, and was only passed by one person during the entire race, at around the 5 mile mark. It was very strange to have no one at all pass me for the last 8 miles of the race. I actually wound up catching the guy who had passed me around mile 12.

It was quite eye opening to compare a California based race with the races back home in the east. There were a few thing I noticed, right off the bat:

- The percentage of really good looking girls racing is a lot higher in California.

- Th events are a lot more diverse out here. Asians, Hispanics and blacks were all well represented in the race. Granted, the SoCal area has a much larger Asian and Hispanic population base, but both groups were well represented with heavy numbers. Even more surprising was the number of black runners, who were also very well represented. This is in stark contrast to the east, where marathons and half marathons are noted by their lack of diversity, devoid of any real representation of people of color. Enough on the social commentary.

-It seemed that anywhere from 25-33% of the racers were running with ipods. I remember catching up to a group of 6 or 7 runners, and I was the only one running without headphones.

-And did I mention the number of good looking females?

I ran this race at a comfortable pace, not pushing myself at all. My splits seem all over the place, but that is bascially a result of the rolling nature of the course, as well as maybe some misplaced mile markers. It's amazing, that when one is in marathon shape, running a half marathon is a piece of cake. I wasn't taxed at all.

What would you do differently?:

Be on time and not forget my Garmin. I would love to see what the elevation gain and loss of the course is. They don't have a course map on the web site. From a pacing perspective, I would not do anything differently.
Post race
Warm down:

As I had left the rest of the family back at the hotel, I didn't hang around the race site. So, I picked up my medal, my t-shirt, a sports drink, and jogged back to my rental car half a mile away.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was basically a training run. I didn't push it.

Event comments:

A nice race overall. If I lived out here, I would probably do it every year.

Last updated: 2007-04-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:10 | 13.1 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/72
Overall: 184/1093
Performance: Good
Splits: Mile 1- 7:45 Mile 2- 9:26 (all uphill) Mile 3- 7:43 Mile 4- 7:08 Mile 5- 7:57 Mile 6- 9:31 (all uphill) Mile 7- 8:44 Mile 8-11- 34:39 (forgot to hit splits) Mile 12- 8:58 Mile 13- 7:16
Course: A very hilly course with a killer hill at mile 2. The half marathon started at 0730, and the marathon at 0700. Both courses shared the first 6.5 miles and the last 6.5 miles. It was a rolling and very scenic course with steep and long hills throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-05-22 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
Horseheads, NY
Subject: Palos Verdes Half Marathon

2007-05-22 10:41 PM
in reply to: #811782

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Palos Verdes Half Marathon
Sounds like you had a good race, even with being late...  AND you got to pass lots of people.
2007-05-22 11:40 PM
in reply to: #811782

User image

Subject: RE: Palos Verdes Half Marathon

Congrats!  It's a beautiful course, isn't it?  Those roads are a lot of our local rides (even that nasty uphill at mile 2...I hate that hill

Since you forgot your garmin, here's an entry from someone (I don't know) from motionbased with the course

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2766965

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Palos Verdes Half Marathon Rss Feed