General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would like to join Tri club in SoCal... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-05-22 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
Subject: Would like to join Tri club in SoCal...
Hey Gang...

Like I have said in earlier posts, my wife and I are relocating to SoCal and our temporary housing will be in Irvine, with final housing in Irvine, Huntington Beach, or nearby.

Just wondering...

Orange County Tri Club?

LA Tri Club?

any other recommended clubs?

(should be arriving one week from today!)

2007-05-22 11:35 PM
in reply to: #812721

User image

Subject: RE: Would like to join Tri club in SoCal...
Welocme to California!  rsqdvr here joined the OC tri club, but he didn't have many good things to say about it.  LA tri has some stuff down in Long Beach, that's about as far south as they go.  Got any local races planned yet?
2007-05-23 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Welcome to the land of fruits and nuts.

I will be doing the Pac Shore half marathon in Huntington Beach again. Early February.
2007-05-23 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

Check out MultisportsOC. They train with NOVA Masters in Irvine at the aquatic center. They do lots of runs and bike clinics as well and run them thru FLEET FEET in Laguna Niguel and EDGE Cyclesports in Laguna Woods. I've done some training with them last year and the people were very friendly and the coaches were knowledgable.

http://eteamz.active.com/multisportsoc/

2007-05-23 11:39 AM
in reply to: #813158

User image

GolfMark - 2007-05-23 6:55 AM Welcome to the land of fruits and nuts. I will be doing the Pac Shore half marathon in Huntington Beach again. Early February.

Didn't get the email?  It's now officially called the Surf City Marathon (HB and some other town have actually engaged in litigation over the rights to use the name Surf City USA....)

2007-05-23 12:49 PM
in reply to: #813554

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
ChrisM - 2007-05-23 9:39 AM

GolfMark - 2007-05-23 6:55 AM Welcome to the land of fruits and nuts. I will be doing the Pac Shore half marathon in Huntington Beach again. Early February.

Didn't get the email?  It's now officially called the Surf City Marathon (HB and some other town have actually engaged in litigation over the rights to use the name Surf City USA....)

Haha. I did get the e-mail. I didn't put two and two together though. I now recall reading in the WSJ or the LA Times about the lawsuit. Santa Cruz I believe holds the trademark, or thinks it does. Obviously, the issue is money and tourism...t-shirts, etc.

2007-05-29 5:38 PM

User image

New user
Check out OC Tri Club. They have all sorts of training activities and social events. For a coached training program Multisports OC is the best from what I have heard, but is a tad pricey.
2007-06-03 9:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bend, OR

There are many clubs that are great that fly under the radar and are not noticed until you see them at races or out an about with jerseys on.  I live in Costa Mesa right on the border of Huntington beach and one of the best clubs is the American Interbanc Triathlon Team in Newport Beach.  Don't let the team name fool you because it's a club and you are more than welcome to join.  Here is a link.

http://www.nctt.us/

2007-06-03 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shakopee, MN
thanks everyone, I am excited to do my first ocean training swim...I will have to search around to see when a group or club will be doing it on the weekend!

Right now we are staying in Irvine in a corporate housing until august1, then we have to find a townhome/condo that allows 2 dogs!!!
2007-06-06 5:22 PM
in reply to: #827233

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA
Welcome to CA!

From what I've learned so far, the clubs tend to offer open water training swims at beginner and other levels.

Good luck!
Dana
2007-06-16 12:23 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
I can't suggest a tri club, but I do have a coworker who is trying to offload a home in Irvine for a mere $1.2M in case that condo doesn't pan out for you.   Welcome to Orange County !!  Let me know if you find a good tri club.

2007-06-16 10:27 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Thinking about joining a tri club too. Any members of LA tri or Pasadena tri club or other tri club close by, that can give me a run down of pros and cons?
2007-06-17 6:54 AM
in reply to: #847263

User image

auto208562 - 2007-06-16 8:27 PM Thinking about joining a tri club too. Any members of LA tri or Pasadena tri club or other tri club close by, that can give me a run down of pros and cons?

I race with LA but occasionally bike/swim with Pasadena b/c of where I live.  PM me if you'd like info about the differences ... the biggest ones being (obviously) more to do with LA b/c it's bigger, and more likely to know everyone with Pasadena (because it's smaller).  

2007-06-17 1:40 PM
in reply to: #847355

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
PM sent. Thanks.

gailg - 2007-06-17 4:54 AM

auto208562 - 2007-06-16 8:27 PM Thinking about joining a tri club too. Any members of LA tri or Pasadena tri club or other tri club close by, that can give me a run down of pros and cons?

I race with LA but occasionally bike/swim with Pasadena b/c of where I live. PM me if you'd like info about the differences ... the biggest ones being (obviously) more to do with LA b/c it's bigger, and more likely to know everyone with Pasadena (because it's smaller).

2007-06-17 4:55 PM

User image

LA tri

Pros:

ALWAYS someone to work out with
Meet other athletes
Social gatherings and schwag
Race day support
clinics, seminars, speakers, etc.
great drawings (i don't know how they get all the equipment they do)

Cons:
$65 (or whatever the yearly fee is.... but you can make a lot of that up in schwag that you might win or get as a freebie. - I won $250 in a race drawing I forgot I  entered last year, and I can't tell you how many gels etc I've gotten at races and clinics)

Funny thing is, my training group is about 99% la tri club people, but our workouts are never organized la tri workouts (well, rarely, we do the sunday am swim).

Edited by ChrisM 2007-06-17 4:56 PM
2007-06-17 7:06 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for info Chris. With Gail and your review/info, I think I'll drop by one of those beginner info sessions.

2007-06-17 11:52 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
I just browsed the LA tri club website and they don't even have any more LA tri club gear.

As stated on their website:

"The LA Tri Club Store is currently CLOSED for inventory and re-organization.

Please check-back, or, stay tuned to your club Email for a notice when the store is re-opened. In the meantime, the only place you can purchase LATC uniforms / training gear is in our Classifieds section (member-to-member re-sales). "
2007-06-18 12:43 AM
in reply to: #848024

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey auto208562:

If you are in the Pasadena area on Wednesday nights, the Pasadena Tri Club has a bike/run brick workout. No need to be a member.... helmet required. We have a couple of minor, but important rules... No headsets and stay out of the aerobars when riding in the group. We change up the bike ride. Sometimes it is laps around the Rose Bowl, sometimes we climb in the hills around the bowl. Usually 1 hour ride followed by a run (1 lap) around the Rose Bowl (i.e. 3 mile loop).

When: Wednesday Nights (We start gathering beginning at 6:00 PM/Clip in exactly at 6:30 PM)
Where: Rose Bowl Aquatic Center Parking Lot (near the road).

If interested, come on out and play.
2007-06-18 8:39 AM
in reply to: #848045

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Rich, is it every Wed, like it's a routine or do I have to check the website each Wed? I won't be able to make this Wed but I possibly can make the 27th just to check out the club.

What's the speed for these rides and run? Though I live pretty close to Pasadena, I've never been to the rose bowl so I have no idea if it's just riding/running on the local street or what.

Cyclingmaniac - 2007-06-17 10:43 PM

Hey auto208562:

If you are in the Pasadena area on Wednesday nights, the Pasadena Tri Club has a bike/run brick workout. No need to be a member.... helmet required. We have a couple of minor, but important rules... No headsets and stay out of the aerobars when riding in the group. We change up the bike ride. Sometimes it is laps around the Rose Bowl, sometimes we climb in the hills around the bowl. Usually 1 hour ride followed by a run (1 lap) around the Rose Bowl (i.e. 3 mile loop).

When: Wednesday Nights (We start gathering beginning at 6:00 PM/Clip in exactly at 6:30 PM)
Where: Rose Bowl Aquatic Center Parking Lot (near the road).

If interested, come on out and play.
2007-06-18 2:33 PM
in reply to: #848024

User image

auto208562 - 2007-06-17 9:52 PM I just browsed the LA tri club website and they don't even have any more LA tri club gear. As stated on their website: "The LA Tri Club Store is currently CLOSED for inventory and re-organization. Please check-back, or, stay tuned to your club Email for a notice when the store is re-opened. In the meantime, the only place you can purchase LATC uniforms / training gear is in our Classifieds section (member-to-member re-sales). "

LA Tri doesn't carry an inventory of club gear.  They take orders every year from everyone, and then deliver them in March or so.  They must order a few extras in various sizes to sell, but these usually get snatched up at early season races. 

2007-06-18 2:39 PM
in reply to: #848311

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey auto208563:

The Wednesday Night Brick workouts are every Wednesday through September/October depending upon how quick it gets dark during the Fall.

On the bike, we start off with 15 mph on west side of the bowl (slight uphill) and about 19 to 20 mph on the east side (slight downhill). We bump it up 1 mph each lap (if we stay around the bowl). If we do hills, we do a couple of warm-up laps and then head up the hills with designated regroup points. The brick leaders gather everyone before we take off to talk through what we will be doing.

The run is on the road, but there are also some trails that basically follow the loop/lap which you have the option of doing. Basically, we meet back at the cars by 7:30 PM to start the run....everyone goes at their own pace and you have the option of running with others with your same pace. The loop from the cars is just over 3 miles. We gather again after the run for stretching. An option to the run is some Yoga stretching in the park with one of our trainers when he is in town or available. The group then heads for a local restuarant (determined and announced before we clip-in for the bike ride.)

We average about 20 to 25 members of varying abilities. Had over 30 members and visitors last week. We have team members from Nestle, Disney and others join in on ocassion. Age varies from early 20's to 60's. It is also a co-ed group and we have some women on the team that are no push-overs. This is a very supportive team. Some team members focus on Ironman distances while others focus on Sprint distances. Others race a variety of distances in a season. We support each other not only through encouragement, but also if someone is racing locally, we try to make it to the site to cheer them on. Membership if you choose to join is actaully very low. If you want more info on membership, you can PM me.

Hope this helped.... let me know if you have more questions!

2007-06-19 4:12 PM

User image

SoCal
I've been thinking about joining a tri club now that Danskin team training is over and I'm on my own, but I always see the folks in the LA Tri Club gear out and about during workouts and they're all so fast and sleek and ... well, they generally seem like some pretty hardcore triathletes, so my slow, fat, goofy self is a little bit scared about actually signing up.

Those of you who have experience with LATC, please tell me... would I be a complete laughingstock showing up at 240 pounds with two Danskin races under my belt (both with finishing times of over 2.5 hours)? I've seen lots of workouts listed for "beginners" on the website, but I'm also aware that there are beginners who are super athletic and are just new to triathlon and there are beginners who are pathetically slow like me.

Any thoughts?
2007-06-19 6:07 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
HA! Katrina, we should go to a beginner's meeting together Though I've have several tri's under my belt, I've always been a boper.
2007-06-19 6:35 PM
in reply to: #851225

User image

Those of you who have experience with LATC, please tell me... would I be a complete laughingstock showing up at 240 pounds with two Danskin races under my belt (both with finishing times of over 2.5 hours)? 

Not in the LEAST.  Trust me. 

I'm a big guy too.  We run down the beach for the swims, I am poassed by pretty much everyone.

Yes, it can get a little cliquish and there are the "beautiful people,"  kinda highlighted by the fact that there are some awesome athletes - Kona qualifiers, etc.  But everyone is very supportive.

2007-06-19 6:55 PM
in reply to: #851225

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
thecheshirekat - 2007-06-19 4:12 PM

I've been thinking about joining a tri club now that Danskin team training is over and I'm on my own, but I always see the folks in the LA Tri Club gear out and about during workouts and they're all so fast and sleek and ... well, they generally seem like some pretty hardcore triathletes, so my slow, fat, goofy self is a little bit scared about actually signing up.

Those of you who have experience with LATC, please tell me... would I be a complete laughingstock showing up at 240 pounds with two Danskin races under my belt (both with finishing times of over 2.5 hours)? I've seen lots of workouts listed for "beginners" on the website, but I'm also aware that there are beginners who are super athletic and are just new to triathlon and there are beginners who are pathetically slow like me.

Any thoughts?

Hey Katrina:

ChrisM (LA Tri Club) brings up a great point about how supportative people are in the tri community. Whether it is LA Tri, Pasadena Tri, Inland Inferno, OC Tri Club, Multisport, or other clubs, you will find that members will support you in your efforts and encourage you. Yes, people race against each other, but I think this sport is a journey for each person in their individual development. That journey might be to gain a position on top of the podium, it might be to just finish, it might be to improve one's overall health.... what ever it is, people are very supportive.

We had a lady show up at last Wednesday's Pasadena Tri Club Brick Workout. She got blown off the back of the paleton in the 2nd lap... one of the members dropped back and gave her some tips and she rode solo for a couple of laps, but she registered on-line as a new member that night......accessed the team's Yahoo Group and was very excited about her experience.....

So which ever group you decide to look into and ultimately join...... just go ahead and do it.... you will find very helpful supportive people.

Rich (aka Cyclingmaniac)
Pasadena Tri Club Member

Note: I'm not one of those "fast and sleek" members that you referred to in your post!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Would like to join Tri club in SoCal... Rss Feed  

of 5