Ironhead
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 30s
Overall Rank = 54/217
Age Group = M34-39
Age Group Rank = 13/30
Pre-race routine:

Ate a wheat bagel with jelly, and drank a Gatorade on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

Milled about with Sue (sportysue), Kelley (mom23), Craig (docshock), and Joseph (hosayif). Jogged the parking lot with DavidB. Stretched.
Swim
  • 04m 50s
  • 274 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the first true tri pool swim for me (not counting the reverse tri fiasco). Pretty good swim! Caught the guy in front of me with about a half length to go, so I just hung back until the ladder. No need wasting energy to pass the guy only to get passed while running to transition. The guy behind me was over a length behind, so no concern.

I posted my seed time as 4:30, missed it by 20 seconds, but still finished in the same position overall that I was seeded so it worked out anyway.
What would you do differently?:

I might would have eeked out another couple seconds per hundred if I didn't have on my tri jersey. That thing was like a parachute. Probably need to get a new tri jersey anyway.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Used up about 30 seconds (more on that 30 secs. later) drying off my feet and putting on socks. I would have gone without socks, but the last time I did that I was almost arrested for carrying around a chemical weapon. Man, those shoes were funked up!

If I can find a good shoe deodorizer I won't wear socks.
Bike
  • 45m 55s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 19.99 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the first race with the new tri bike, so I expected a lot from myself and it. My plan for this race was to go hard on the swim and the bike, so I prepared myself for a sufferfest.

Ran out of transition with my shoes on. I should practice the running bike mount thing with the shoes rubber banded on the cranks. Tore out of transition and onto the first hill of the day. Passed a couple people on the way up, but there were a couple just behind me. Just after the hill, those guys behind passed me, but stayed in front for only a short while.

About 2 miles into the course DavidB caught me! Considering he was about a minute or so behind me in the swim start, he must have been hauling arse! I decided to pace David to see how long he could carry me, so I took the opportunity to pass the guys who had just passed me. They didn't pass me again until about a mile into the run, of course. Pacing David only lasted a couple miles and he was out of sight, so I settled in to my planned hard effort on the bike. It was kind of weird after about 5 miles into the bike course, I was pretty much by myself. That had more to do with my swim start position than my cycling ability, but it was strange nonetheless. There were only about 6 or 7 people that passed me the whole bike leg, so I was pleased.

The lenses of the glasses I wear when cycling don't go up far enough for me to get an unobstructed view of the road, so I have to wear them down on my nose like an old lady librarian. About 10 miles into the course when I got to a longer flat stretch I took them off and tried to stick them in my jersey pocket. Shouldn't have done that because I probably wasted a good 15-20 seconds, and since I couldn't get them into my pocket just put them back on. At the time I wasn't worried about a measley little half minute, but more on that later....

With about a half mile left the course started the last downhill, so I took the opportunity to get my feet out of my shoes before I got to T2.

I'm very pleased with this bike, especially considering the hills, tight corners, and road conditions.

Master the running bike mount.
Not jack with the stupid shades. Or find some that fit better.

Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

This is the first time I've used Yanks laces. I'm definitely a big fan. This has to be, by far, my best transition ever.

Nothing.
Run
  • 27m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

As I mentioned before, my intentions for thie race were to go hard on the swim and the bike. I figured that whatever run I could manage would be fine with me.

Like most all my other races, it took about 2 miles for me to get my legs under me. For the first couple miles I just went at a steady pace, keeping my breathing under control, and trying to minimize any knee problems. Walked both aid stations and drank about a half cup of water at each. They didn't provide gatorade at this race because it was a short race and it wasn't very hot. It really didn't matter to me, since I had already drank a half bottle of Endurance formula on the bike.

After about the 2 mile mark, sure enough my legs started feeling better so I kicked it up a notch. I didn't hit the lap button on my watch coming out of transition, and I really wasn't worried about the run time, but I knew I was close to breaking 1:20. I ran a little harder until I could see the finish line about a quarter mile away. Having only about a minute before passing the 1:20 mark, I blew it off and cruised on in.

I didn't find out until after the race when Jeff (tri4funjeff) called me and said something like "Dude! Sub-9:00 miles? What got into you?" I thought he was yanking my chain, so I got online and saw that I had done sub-9:00 miles for the first time ever on a 5k - stand-alone race or tri - so it was a new 5k PR!

Looking back on this run, I really didn't go that hard at all until the last mile. And I still could have gone harder than I did. I haven't done that much run training, and have done no bricks for at least a couple months. It really makes me wonder how much the tri bike geometry fit into the equation.

Considering I ran better than my original goal, and since this was a "C" race that I signed up for at the last minute, I wouldn't have change anything. But to better prepare myself in future races, I'll definitely do more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a banana and some water then stretched out really well. I've discovered that if I taking stretching more seriously after a run, I don't have as much knee pain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training in general. It's still early in the season.

Event comments:

Now. About the time lost in T1, and on the bike fiddling with my shades: I was 1:02 from placing 9th in my age group, and 2:13 from placing 7th. Had I not lost that time I would have finished in the top ten of my age group, and maybe an outside chance of pacing 7th! Lessoned learned!!

This was the first race in McKinney put on by Ironhead. It was everything you could expect from an Ironhead race: well organized, with a lot of shouting.

The bike and run course was probably more challenging than any other race I've done in DFW, so it was fun. The only complaint that I have is with the safety of the bike course. There were way too many blind driveways and curves. There were a couple downhills that I hit 30mph, and if a car were to have come to the end of their drive there was no way they could have seen me coming in time to stop. The blind driveways were mainly due to people not cleaning up their property. But remember, this is the country!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:50 | 274 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/30
Overall: 26/217
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Bi-directional 25 yard pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:14
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:55 | 15.3 miles | 19.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/30
Overall: 29/217
Performance: Good
Didn't wear my HR monitor for the first time in a race.
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly and narrow course on country roads on the outskirts of McKinney. After I rode the course the day before the race, I became very apprehensive about doing the race. The course was pretty hilly compared to other races in the DFW area, but I wasn't so much concerned with the hills as I was the blind corners and driveways. Also, there were several stretches that were pretty rough and gravelly.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:41 | 03.11 miles | 08m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/30
Overall: 142/217
Performance:
Didn't wear my HR monitor for the first time in a race.
Course: Slightly hilly course from McKinney H.S., through a couple parks, and some neighborhoods on concrete trails and asphalt streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-05-23 6:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Subject: Tri-Historic McKinney

2007-05-23 6:57 PM
in reply to: #814361

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Tri-Historic McKinney
Fine racing there, Honey!  Considering the bike course, you really kicked some tail!  Proud of you always!
2007-05-23 7:01 PM

User image

Champion

A real man woulda averaged 20mph on the bike.

Great job, John!

2007-05-23 7:04 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-23 10:04 PM

Expert
Wylie, TX
Hey John, it was great to see you again. Congrats on the PR for the run. I am assuming that our swim time included the run to the entrance of the transition area. So you can subtract 20 secs for your true swim time.
2007-05-24 8:09 AM

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job John! You had an awesome race and a new PR to boot! This calls for a well-deserved trip to the Chicken tomorrow while you're in College Station!

2007-05-24 8:18 AM

Veteran
Texas
Wow! I'm just amazed you have your RR posted!

Great job and congrats on your new run PR! Nice bike, too!
2007-05-24 9:33 AM

Master
McKinney, TX
Nice job boss.
2007-05-24 11:28 AM

Expert
Plano, TX

Great job out there, John!  That new bike looks great, and I have no doubt you'll bust 20mph on Metroplex.  Remember, it's Wheelbuilder.com ...

Your question about the tri bike and impact on the run... my experience matches yours.  Switching to the tri bike helped my bike speed a little (especially after the second fitting when I got more aero), but I've really noticed the improvement in the run coming off the bike.  My legs don't feel that different - it still takes a mile or so to get the feel of my 'running legs' - but the results keep showing faster splits.

Oh, and I gotta agree -- Yankz rock!

2007-05-24 1:07 PM

Expert
Longview, TX
Great race.  Congrats on a new PR in the run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-Historic McKinney Rss Feed