General Discussion Race Reports! » Sri Chinmoy Running & Fitness Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sri Chinmoy Running & Fitness Festival - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Melbourne, Victoria
Australia
Sri Chinmoy
16C / 61F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I slept well except for the bit when I dreamt that my alarm didn't go off and I missed the run. Had 2 pieces of raisin bread and some apple juice for breakfast. Headed over to Williamstown and had a couple of bites of a powerbar as I walked down to the track, but decided to save it for later as I felt as though I'd eaten enough.
Event warmup:

I actually warmed up for the first time ever. Ran about 400m and got to feel the power of the headwind.
Run
  • 2h 17m 17s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 06m 31s  min/km
Comments:

I'd placed myself about 5 deep back from the starting line. All racers started together; 4km walk, 10km run, 1/2 mary & full mary. I had some walkers behind me, so I knew I wasn't going to be in the way of anyone immediately. I possibly started too fast, I had to keep reminding myself that it was probably the 10km runners scooting past me. At the same time I knew I wanted to give it my all.

I think at about the 8km mark I found a girl who was running roughly my pace. We stuck with each other for the rest of the run, picking off people as we ran further along. I took water at every aid station (my running buddy would wait for me) had a Gu at about 10km and a couple of dinosaurs at the 15km mark. At this stage we were on track for a 2:10 finish. But the second run along the bike path with the howling head wind proved too tough in the last three kms. I was hurting and started to let negative thoughts enter my head as I realised the sub 2:16 was out of reach. Crossed the line at 2:17:17 according to my watch, official time with come out later in the week.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps run a little slower in the start. Or to a specific HR, rather than letting it go.
Post race
Warm down:

Thanked my running partner for her company and said we'd see each other at the Run to the 'G half.
Warm down included putting a jumper on! And I ate the best apple crumble I've ever had, well after a race anyway. How indulgent!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More consistent run training would be the key (ie 3 runs per week, no excuses) and losing the additional kgs I've been carrying around since Christmas!! The wind was certainly a factor, but it affected everyone.

Event comments:

I've stayed away from the Sri Chinmoy races in the past because I thought the calibre of athletes would be too high for someone as slow as me. Alas not! Bonus that there where heaps of volunteers to man the water stations 2kms apart and direct those of us who aren't familiar with the over the bridge territory. The feed afterwards was better than the GC HIM!! Even if I did feel a little ill.

Last updated: 2007-05-20 12:00 AM
Running
02:17:17 | 21.1 kms | 06m 31s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR Avg 176 HR Max 184 KCal 1372
Course: The half marathon runners will initially complete a 14km out and back course along The Strand, Nelson Place, Battery Road, and The Esplanade between the start and Gloucester Reserve at Williamstown Beach. The half marathon runners will then be directed north along the bike path to the Westgate Bridge turnaround (approx 15.5km) before returning south along Douglas Parade, through Newport Park to the front of the Newport Park Recreation Centre (approx 17km). The runners will then be directed south along The Strand to the turnaround at the Sea Scouts Drink Station opposite Stevedore St (approx 19km), and then return along the bike path to finish on the Williamstown Athletics Track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-05-27 6:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Sri Chinmoy Running & Fitness Festival

2007-05-27 8:12 PM
in reply to: #818818

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Sri Chinmoy Running & Fitness Festival

Great race Casie!!! any race with Apple Crumble at the end has to be a good thing

On to the G!

2007-05-28 1:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Great race Casie!  thats soo close to your goal time that you should be very proud!!

wow apple crumble after a race I am so jealous!  I couldn't think of anything I would want more after a race too! 

good work!

2007-05-28 2:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Great race Casie.
2007-05-28 4:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Wohoo...another Half Mary under the belt!

And a great race too because you didn't train the run as much as you would have liked, yet you still managed to be within a minute or so from your PB.  

2007-05-28 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

Sounds like you had a good run Casie!!

Looks like you're on track for a great run in June at the G

PS How cool to have found a running buddy to share the run with.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sri Chinmoy Running & Fitness Festival Rss Feed