Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone ever been to Southern Germany? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2007-05-29 1:45 PM

User image

Regular
Wylie, TX
Subject: Anyone ever been to Southern Germany?
My family and I are planning a trip to Southern Germany?  We are flying into Munich.   We plan on going to Salzburg and really are clueless where else to go. Does anyone have a story's or can recommend places to go in Germany, Switzerland or Austria?!?!?!   Would it be worth it to go North; Frankford, Berlin!
Oh yeah,  we are going to 2 weeks.  But we are going to spend 3 days in Paris.
Thanks, Jeff

2007-05-29 1:50 PM
in reply to: #820773

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Anyone ever been to Southern Germany?
Frankfurt's nice.  Munich, Berlin, they're nice too.  Depends on what your interests are.  I was in southeastern Germany for about 6 months a few years back.  Saw alot of Heidelberg.  Made it to Oktoberfest.  If you can, go to that.
2007-05-29 1:53 PM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
I had beer goggles on the whole time I was in Munich but I am sure there are cool things to see.  Lots of history all over.  HoffBrau House....
2007-05-29 1:59 PM
in reply to: #820792

User image

Regular
Wylie, TX

Mike 45 - 2007-05-29 1:53 PM I had beer goggles on the whole time I was in Munich but I am sure there are cool things to see.  Lots of history all over.  HoffBrau House....

That's funny!  I will going in August, is there anything cool in Zurich?? 

2007-05-29 2:00 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-29 2:01 PM
in reply to: #820806

Regular
Wylie, TX

surfwallace - 2007-05-29 2:00 PM We went for 3 weeks a couple years back. Spent 2 weeks in Garmisch skiing during xmas time. Spent the remaining time in Nurnberg, Munich and Prague.

How was Nurnberg? 

2007-05-29 2:07 PM
in reply to: #820780

Regular
Wylie, TX

Scout7 - 2007-05-29 1:50 PM Frankfurt's nice.  Munich, Berlin, they're nice too.  Depends on what your interests are.  I was in southeastern Germany for about 6 months a few years back.  Saw alot of Heidelberg.  Made it to Oktoberfest.  If you can, go to that.

I wish I can go to Oktoberfest but we are leaving in August.  Things that I am interested in is there culture (food, etc.), hang-out with towns people, I dont think just doing the tours stuff.  My wife and I need to work-out?  So if you know of any places to ride or run? 

2007-05-29 2:33 PM

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Yup

Took a Train from Paris to Munich and then rented a car and drove from Munich to Cologne Germany. (We stayed in a Castle just outside of Cologne to celebrate my birthday)

Beautiful country and driving through the Black Forest and the Rhine Valley was definitely a highlight of the trip. Bavaria in the late Summer, Early fall was an absolute blast.

Be sure to get off of the Autobahn and drive through this part of Germany of you get the chance. (The Autobahn is cool but not very scenic)
2007-05-29 2:39 PM
in reply to: #820805

tri4funjeff - 2007-05-29 11:59 AM

Mike 45 - 2007-05-29 1:53 PM I had beer goggles on the whole time I was in Munich but I am sure there are cool things to see.  Lots of history all over.  HoffBrau House....

That's funny!  I will going in August, is there anything cool in Zurich?? 

Not that I liked, but get on a train and go to the Berner Oberland, little towns, Gimmelwald, Grindewald.  It's GORGEOUS!!!! Sleep with a view of the masive Eiger, go up to the Schilthorn... I love that place.

2007-05-29 2:46 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC

It's been 10 years since I've been there, but the Bodensee (Lake Constance) was awesome! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Constance)  They have ferry's that can take you to various cities and Meersburg was fun.

The trains were fun and a great way to see the country side.  I flew into Frankfurt, took a train down to Konstanz, a ferry over the Meersburg, spent a few nights with some friends and took a day trip train ride to Munich from there.  All of it was great!

2007-05-29 2:49 PM
in reply to: #820811

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-05-29 3:31 PM
in reply to: #820904

Regular
Wylie, TX

WaterDog66 - 2007-05-29 2:33 PM Yup Took a Train from Paris to Munich and then rented a car and drove from Munich to Cologne Germany. (We stayed in a Castle just outside of Cologne to celebrate my birthday) Beautiful country and driving through the Black Forest and the Rhine Valley was definitely a highlight of the trip. Bavaria in the late Summer, Early fall was an absolute blast. Be sure to get off of the Autobahn and drive through this part of Germany of you get the chance. (The Autobahn is cool but not very scenic)

Thanks man,  that is a huge help!  WE were looking at all of those place you just menton! 

2007-05-29 3:43 PM

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Highlight of my last trip there was a lap around the old Nurburgring race track, pretty much flat out in my VW Rabbit rental car.

The salt mine tours in Salzburg are fun, especially for the kids.

If/when I go back again I'd like to do a cruise up the Rhine through the wine country.

Mark

2007-05-29 4:19 PM
in reply to: #821081

Regular
Wylie, TX
RedCorvette - 2007-05-29 3:43 PM

Highlight of my last trip there was a lap around the old Nurburgring race track, pretty much flat out in my VW Rabbit rental car.

The salt mine tours in Salzburg are fun, especially for the kids.

If/when I go back again I'd like to do a cruise up the Rhine through the wine country.

Mark

We were thing about that "Cruise up the RHINE RIVER"?    How was Salzburg?  Is it worth staying a couple of night??

2007-05-29 4:52 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

I lived in Northern Germany for 3 years but spent a couple of vacations in Southern Germany and Austria.  There are a lot of things to see in Southern Germany.  It depends on how touristy you want to be.   Neuschwanstein Castle http://www.neuschwanstein.de/english/index.htm is within driving distance of Munich.  This is the castle they used as the basis for the Disneyland Castle.  It's touristy but worth the trip.  Near Garmisch is Lake Eibsee at the foot of the Zugspitz.  The Zugspitz is the tallest mountain in Germany, on the Austrian border and they have a tram that takes you to the top.  It's a beautiful area and not a lot of tourists.  Also within driving distance of Munich is Berchtesgarden, The Eagles Nest, Hitlers home and worth seeing if you are a WWII buff.  Finally, I would make time to visit one of the concentration camps.  It sounds creepy but one of the most moving and solemn places you'll ever visit.  I won't go into Munich as there is so much to see there.

If you head north, one of my favorite places to go was Rotenberg on der Tober.  This is about an hour south of Heidleberg.  It's a walled city and it gives you a feel for how city's were laid out in the middle ages.   Be sure to climb the tower above city hall.  Great view.

Let me know if you want more suggestions.

Ernie

Edited by ejc999 2007-05-29 4:53 PM
2007-05-29 5:55 PM

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
ahhh! prague is ammmaaazing. The artist in me is drawn there...plus they have the most amazing streudel. mmmm. Dangit, i miss europe! Depending on the time of year, you can fly from Belfast to Prague and back for around $50 us.

2007-05-29 6:26 PM
in reply to: #821221

Regular
Wylie, TX
ejc999 - 2007-05-29 4:52 PM

I lived in Northern Germany for 3 years but spent a couple of vacations in Southern Germany and Austria.  There are a lot of things to see in Southern Germany.  It depends on how touristy you want to be.   Neuschwanstein Castle http://www.neuschwanstein.de/english/index.htm is within driving distance of Munich.  This is the castle they used as the basis for the Disneyland Castle.  It's touristy but worth the trip.  Near Garmisch is Lake Eibsee at the foot of the Zugspitz.  The Zugspitz is the tallest mountain in Germany, on the Austrian border and they have a tram that takes you to the top.  It's a beautiful area and not a lot of tourists.  Also within driving distance of Munich is Berchtesgarden, The Eagles Nest, Hitlers home and worth seeing if you are a WWII buff.  Finally, I would make time to visit one of the concentration camps.  It sounds creepy but one of the most moving and solemn places you'll ever visit.  I won't go into Munich as there is so much to see there.

If you head north, one of my favorite places to go was Rotenberg on der Tober.  This is about an hour south of Heidleberg.  It's a walled city and it gives you a feel for how city's were laid out in the middle ages.   Be sure to climb the tower above city hall.  Great view.

Let me know if you want more suggestions.

Ernie

Ernie thanks so much!  Sweet Castle!  How did you like North Germany???

2007-05-29 7:38 PM

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
I am from Poland originally, have lived in Austria for few years and have been to most of those places you mentioned.
Quite frankly - I wouldn't cram too much into this trip, because you will end up spending too much time on the road or train.
As for the big cities - Frankfurt I find the least attractive, because it was ruined during WWII and the new boxy homes they built after the war are not too attractive. Berlin to me is also not very clean and especially attractive. I love Munich and Bavaria - it is so scenic there and clean, same with Rhine valley.
Personally I prefer to stay longer in one place, visit different restaurants, historic places, talk to people, drink their beer (tops) etc.
BTW, if you do go to Czech Republik - Praque is a must! This city has not been touched by WWII, it is a well kept secret. Far more to see there, than in Vienna and most European cities... And their Pilsner is the best beer in the world.
So this is my highly subjective view.
(...their autobahns have no speed limit, so watch out! On the left lane you will see cars going well over 100mph!...)
2007-05-29 9:34 PM

Master
Calgary, Alberta
I lived for 3 years in the Black Forest region of Germany in a little town called Altenheim so have travelled through many of the locations people have mentioned.  You're starting in Munich and will be over there for 2 weeks.  Are you finishing in Paris?  That will help determine what route and direction you might want to go in. 
2007-05-30 9:41 AM
in reply to: #821332

Expert
Herndon VA

We lived on the Rhine river in Wesel, a town at the north end of the Ruhr valley.  Although, the Ruhr is an industrialized area we lived in a rural town of 30,000.  We had a great time and learned a lot about Germany.  There isn't a lot to do or see there.  Dusseldorf is pretty cool and worth a day.  When we had guests we usually took them to Amsterdam and other places in Holland.  I don't think it would be worth the drive for you, when there is so much to see in Bavaria, Austria and Switzerland.

Reading some of the other posts, I would skip the Rhine river cruise.  It was ok but got real boring after the first hour.  If you want to see the best areas around there do a tour of the winery's in the Mosel river area. 

Ernie

2007-05-30 9:49 AM

Extreme Veteran

My Granddad went a few times and said it was a right dump. The buildings were all destroyed and people kept shooting at him.

Mind you, this was 1932.

2007-05-30 10:32 AM
in reply to: #821389

Regular
Wylie, TX

markz - 2007-05-29 7:38 PM I am from Poland originally, have lived in Austria for few years and have been to most of those places you mentioned. Quite frankly - I wouldn't cram too much into this trip, because you will end up spending too much time on the road or train. As for the big cities - Frankfurt I find the least attractive, because it was ruined during WWII and the new boxy homes they built after the war are not too attractive. Berlin to me is also not very clean and especially attractive. I love Munich and Bavaria - it is so scenic there and clean, same with Rhine valley. Personally I prefer to stay longer in one place, visit different restaurants, historic places, talk to people, drink their beer (tops) etc. BTW, if you do go to Czech Republik - Praque is a must! This city has not been touched by WWII, it is a well kept secret. Far more to see there, than in Vienna and most European cities... And their Pilsner is the best beer in the world. So this is my highly subjective view. (...their autobahns have no speed limit, so watch out! On the left lane you will see cars going well over 100mph!...)

Great info!  Thanks Mark..

2007-05-30 10:35 AM
in reply to: #821517

Regular
Wylie, TX

CalgaryRunner - 2007-05-29 9:34 PM I lived for 3 years in the Black Forest region of Germany in a little town called Altenheim so have travelled through many of the locations people have mentioned.  You're starting in Munich and will be over there for 2 weeks.  Are you finishing in Paris?  That will help determine what route and direction you might want to go in. 

Yes we are finishing in Paris.  But we are flying from Munich to PAris!   Please tell me about the Black Forest, looking online it looks like somewhere we want to go??  Is it worth a couple of days?

2007-05-30 11:40 AM
in reply to: #820805

Coach
Stairway to Seven
tri4funjeff - 2007-05-29 12:59 PM

Mike 45 - 2007-05-29 1:53 PM I had beer goggles on the whole time I was in Munich but I am sure there are cool things to see. Lots of history all over. HoffBrau House....

That's funny! I will going in August, is there anything cool in Zurich??

The Zoo! I'm a zoo fan, though.
2007-06-01 9:37 AM

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Check out Roth, Germany , especially on 24 June (not sure of when you are traveling).

That is the day the Quelle Roth Challenge occurs.

Check out Nurnberg, Germany.  Great Old City.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone ever been to Southern Germany? Rss Feed  

of 1