United States
Lake Mills Triathlon
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 20m 47s
Overall Rank = 192/663
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 23/51
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:30am to get ready and leave by 5:00 and made the trip to Lake Mills in 45 minutes. After finding parking on a side street, I rode the bike down and found a decent slot in the middle of the rack for my wave. Then it was off to register and pick up the goody bag. That was when the rain came. Luckily, I anticipated it and brought plastic trash bags to cover my stuff (a lesson I learned to heed after last year's deluge at Tri-ing for Children's.) It was a great move-- my stuff was perfectly dry when I got to it in T1.
Event warmup:

I jumped in the water and did a little bit of swimming just to acclimate. I also did some light stretching.
Swim
  • 08m 55s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a flat-out bad swim performance for me. I don't know if I was tired from yesterday's swim or what-- I swam each of the 500's yesterday much faster than this and that was without a wetsuit. I just never got my head down and never found my form-- my as* and legs were down the whole time and my stroking was weak. I think I may have been trying to sight too often to correct my only flaw in Memphis. Oh well-- a good swim would have knocked off another minute at this distance. No biggie, but it did prevent me from going sub-1:20.
What would you do differently?:

Just concentrate on my form. I think I was stretching out OK, but my "catch" was bad and I did not push the water down past me to generate power. I was also dragging my as* and feet throughout the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

This was a really nice improvement on my T1 in Memphis. I kept the HR under control exiting the water, made a nice run to my spot, got my wetsuit off quickly (thanks to using extra Body Glide on my calves) and slipped right into my shoes. I went sans socks this time, mostly because my socks were soaking anyway. I did develop a small, superficial blister on my right instep during the run but no biggie.

Nada. Good T1.
Bike
  • 45m 18s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, I did ease back a touch on the bike, trying to keep my cadence way up and maybe sacrificing a little power. Considering the speeds I was maintaining, i was actually surprised I didn't break a 20mph average. but then, i didn't taper at all for this race and I think that may have impacted me a bit here. There were also spots I took it a little easy due to the wet pavement. I didn't feel too much like crashing today, especially after seeing a couple of riders bite it hard.

Not much, it was a decent ride for me without a taper.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Again, a nice transition. Ran with the bike to the far end of transition fairly fast and quickly slipped into my running shoes.

Nothing.
Run
  • 23m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Yeah, baby. This was what today was all about-- finishing strong and re-building my confidence in my run after Memphis. I consider this mission accomplished. I eased into the run, found my legs at about the 3/4 mile mark, then found a good comfortable stride. My only flaw was waiting a bit too long to go to my kick-- that was really about never having done or seen the course before. For me. this was a solid run, especially considering I didn't taper and have done very little speed work to date this season.

Kick into my kick sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

I stopped running.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My sucky swim-- just didn't concentrate on form at all. I think that's due to getting less than 3 hours of sleep-- I just wasn't sharp mentally at all. I didn't run this race "angry" as i had intended, but I did enjoy it.

Event comments:

I got out of this race what I wanted-- a good brick workout and the chance to rebuild confidence in my run off the bike. I believe this may be my PR for a sprint, but it was a shorter course (only 15mi. bike) and a fast one, too. My swim blew big chunks. Still, I successfully dealt with the elements and had a chance to meet and hang out with a few BT'ers after the race. It was great to finally put some faces with all those usernames! Great to meet you/see you again Morey1, PeterAk, Pseudoyams and jszat!

Last updated: 2007-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:55 | 440 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 0/663
Performance:
Suit: promotion wetsuit
Course: This was a counter clockwise "square-in" swim around two buoys then back into shore. I thought the buoys were hard to pick out, especially the final one, on shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:18 | 15 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was an out and back on mostly flat country roads.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:18 | 03.11 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: This was an out-and-back on the hard-packed gravel of the Glacier Drumlin trail. It was nicely shaded with a terriffic view and only mucky in a few spots due to the rain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 3:07 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

2007-06-03 5:09 PM
in reply to: #827297

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon

Great race and race report.  Tough to get too agressive on wet roads.  Did the same thing on Saturday. 

Of course, if you could put up w/ Frank Dobbs, your times were good enough to probably place in the race I did. 

Keep on keepin' on!

2007-06-03 8:47 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Nice to meet you Rich!  Nice race, congrats on making the most of it!
2007-06-03 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Great race! Glad you stopped at the end... it would be pretty tough to write race reports if you didn't stop running at cool down. Glad to hear you made good adjustments from Memphis, and that you learned things from Tri-ing for Children's last year. Was the rain this morning similar to that? Congrats donkey!!
2007-06-04 10:04 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
GREAT meeting you and hope you enjoyed the race.  Sounds like you worked it exceptionally well and came in strong!  GREAT JOB!!!  Hope to see you sporting some donkey gear real soon!
2007-06-04 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great race. Glad to see you got your vengence on the run. Great job on the bike too. You know I'm not a fan of the wet roads.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Mills Triathlon Rss Feed