Town of Pittsford Recreation Dept
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 42s
Overall Rank = 53/237
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/85
Pre-race routine:

I didn't get in bed nearly as early as I would have liked (common theme with me). I'm not sure I slept well - Triathlon dreams and worries of not waking up on time... Got up at about 5:40 and didn't feel too worried, nervous, or hurried. Ate raisin bran and drank a cup of coffee. Got dressed, did my hair, talked with Rob and Tyler (early risers), la dee da dee da... Like I said, I was in no hurry. I did not drink ANY water before the race except for a few long gulps at a drinking fountain in the hallway outside the pool before my start time!! Not a smart move, but it didn't seem to haunt me today either. I didn't leave my house until 6:25ish, which got me to the race at 6:40ish. I'd wanted to get there at 6:30, but I just was not very worried, which, actually, was worrying me a little bit! I set my bike and transition up, then chatted with a couple of people I know for a few minutes. Suddenly I heard the announcement: "All people 1-100 (I was 74) should be in the pool area by now!" AAAHHHH!! I hadn't been marked, had no timing chip.... That was the fire that I needed lit under my ass! Of course, it's always a "hurry up and wait" thing, so I slowed down a bit after I realized the racers hadn't even begun swimming yet, and I didn't start for 36 minutes after the start anyway.
Event warmup:

I really didn't do any warm-up other than to run out of the building one or two times trying to figure out where the bathrooms were! It took me awhile, and a few of us girls, to wander around and ask questions before potties were finally discovered. whew! That felt better. Then got in line to wait for my start. Once I got closer to the start I got in the pool and did 4 of those 1/2 laps in the short end of the pool. Hung on to the side of the pool and reflected on how this was my second time doing this race and "here I am again..." and how cool it was! Waved at my hubby and the kids who were on the side of the pool to cheer me on! Then "5,4,3,2,1, GO!"
Swim
  • 05m 38s
  • 274 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was probably my poorest swim performance of the 3 I've done so far. I started out faster than I probably should have - I couldn't let the 9 year-old who was starting right behind me pass me!! But, my biggest issue was the turn arounds at the wall. I didn't have a single one that went smoothly. I usually grab the edge of the pool and turn around to push off again. I could not for the life of me grab the side of the pool properly! It was terrible. I felt clumsy. This was such a short swim, though, that it just turned into a "grin and bear it" sort of thing. I still swam it 4 seconds faster than last year (according to my time-keeper husband! - 4:50 vs. 4:54) so it couldn't have been all that bad, but I know I could have done much better!
What would you do differently?:

Not started out so fast, and found a groove with my turn-arounds. I don't think my head was in it for the swim part of this Tri.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

This went pretty well, but it seemed like it took forever. I think I was just used to the transitions at the duathlon, which did not involve changing into socks and shoes, putting a shirt on, and trying to put gloves on wet hands. The funniest thing that happened was on my way out with my bike. A race volunteer yelled out as I was passing by "Hey, 71, you're helmet's on backwards!!!" I had a quick moment of panic until I remembered I was #74! I looked behind me and, lo and behold, #71's helmet was on backwards!! PRICELESS!! :)

Get a race belt!! I could have just worn the tank I had on, but didn't want to have to pin it on in transition, so I had a shirt ready to put on over my tank. Getting my shirt on was very tricky too, over a wet body!
Bike
  • 50m 21s
  • 15.15 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pretty winded at the start. I took the first right turn onto Thornell Rd. very wide. I don't usually turn that poorly, but I think I still wasn't thinking clearly. I remember thinking to myself - "Oh no, I've got 15 miles ahead of me and I already feel like this?!" My legs felt dead at the beginning. At the first hill I knew I was in trouble when I tried to put my bike in a lower gear and it immediately skipped up 3 gears. It did this the entire race. It's a miracle I didn't lose the chain at some point. I figured for the entire race I had 3 whole gears to choose from. If I held the lever down I could keep it in a lower gear, if I really needed it, but it was usually just easier to stand up and peddle. It was very aggravating, to say the least.
I still think the bike portion went really well, though. I think I averaged 18 mph, which for me is awesome!!! But, I won't know for sure until the splits are posted! I have been focusing a lot on hydrating during my rides, and this has been working out well. I almost drained the entire bottle by the time I was finished and I didn't lose the bottle on the side of the road like I did last year. I still get a little wobbly on the bike while I am putting it back into place. This almost cost me my life as I swerved a little too much (don't really know why) and a minivan was passing me closely. I felt the wind from it very well. Shocked me back into line!

I need to get a job so I can go buy a good bike! Need to balance better getting water bottle in/out of the cage.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Went smoothly. I've never used the type of racks that were used today, so it was a little tricky getting my bike settled. I peeled my gloves off, got the helmet off easily, drank a long drink of lemonade I had in an extra bottle (choked a little on it), chased it with some more water, stretched my thighs for a couple seconds, and was off!

Unbuckle my helmet while I'm running with my bike and start taking the gloves off too while I'm running.
Run
  • 25m 26s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs and feet felt OK. I definitely notice an improvement over last year when I usually came off of the bike with a numb foot and ran on it for most of the race. I don't get that anymore! It was a tough run, hillier than I remember, but I tend to be pretty good on hills, so as I'd approach one, I'd start my mental game of telling myself over and over again that "I'm strong on hills..." and I'd try to pick up the pace a little. I passed a lot of people, and I think 1 guy passed me. This is really a race to beat your own time, though, because everyone is so spread out that you don't really feel like you are racing against anyone a lot of the time.
I took advantage of both water stops partly because I needed it, mostly because I just wanted to practice drinking while running. Didn't do too badly, but did get some water up my nose on the last one!
I gradually picked up the pace on the last stretch that is pretty flat and straight to the finish line. I never felt totally bad on the run, but for one short moment I let my mind wander to the thought of "And you're going to do a 10K run after all of this bullshit at the end of the month?!?!" I hope I'm prepared...

Just need to keep building my strength and endurance for running.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My head was not into the swim today. My bike sucks. I need to keep building up my running endurance. I need to get a race belt. I need to start thinking about the transition and all of the things I need to do while I'm approaching the area so it goes a little more smoothly.

Event comments:

This is a good race and not an easy course, even though it's still just a spring distance. So, I feel happy with having done it and done it well. I think something needs to be done about the swim starts so the race doesn't go so far into the day. Maybe have it in one of the ponds at Mendon? But it's probably still too cold... Swim starts every 15-20 seconds would help.

Last updated: 2007-05-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:38 | 274 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/85
Overall: 46/237
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: In pool, up and down 6 lanes, going under lane lines after each one.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:21 | 15.15 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/85
Overall: 87/237
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills around Mendon Ponds Park
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:26 | 03.3 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/85
Overall: 26/237
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly, with a flat last mile
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Town of Pittsford Triathlon

2007-06-04 4:34 AM
in reply to: #827803

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Town of Pittsford Triathlon
Great job!  It was good to see you yesterday!
2007-06-04 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Kameron, that was the exact same hill that my chain fell off! The demons were obviously there!...at least my bad luck didn't last the whole ride though like your gear problems.
You are getting so strong - cutting 7 mins off your time from last year is AWESOME.
You are going to ROCK at the end of the month
2007-06-07 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Good looking race you got there.  You did a fantastic job.  Watch out for those scoccer moms in minivans.  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Town of Pittsford Triathlon Rss Feed