General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
Total Time = 3h 42m 35s
Overall Rank = 363/668
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 5AM - First TRI race I wasn't nervous for, more excited to see how I could do at my first OLY distance.

Ate wheat bagel with some Honey & cup of coffee

Probably should have ate a bit more.
Event warmup:

Walked about 1 mile from the car to the race site. 200 yards or so in the freezing water. It was hard to get my face to want to stay in the water at first.
Swim
  • 31m 29s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I decided to start out at the back of my wave (2nd) and on the right side. Felt great the entire swim & most of the time let others sight for me and just kept feet and bubbles in site. One thing though...I forgot to take off my wedding band and I almost lost it at the bottom...woops. Had to stop for about 5 seconds, tread water and switch it to my middle finger so it wouldn't fall off.

I Never got out of breath or muscle tightness. I was drafting behind this one guy for a while and actually slowed down just a little at times to stay behind him. Did 2 stroke breathing to the left side the entire way.

I was very Happy with my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.

thanks SNowgirl for one fantastic swim Challenge!
Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

One thing I should practice a bit. Shirt got stuck on wet body. I took too long trying to get sand and bark mulch off my feet (note use water tub).

I did try the roll down sock method and that did help.

Practice these
Bike
  • 00m
  • 27.34 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I just had a new blackbur computer installed the other day and worked fine night before the race.

I run out of transition mount the bike and can't get my left foot to clip into the pedal, I almost run off the pavenent and nearly crash in the first 15 seconds and then when I get started I notice my computer isn't working...I hit several buttons nothing...Everything zero's. Not what I wanted, will just have to ride by feel.

Want to take the first 4.8 miles easy get the legs going and then climb Devils hill. The pavement was pretty bad the first 3 miles or so and I hit a pot hole hard in the first mile, but no damage. got to Devils hill and big truck going up the Hill with hazard lights on and not a lot of room on the side and conjested, about 6 people walking bikes up and about 20 others rideing up. I rode up about 8/10ths and not moving fast at all decided I would save a bit of energy and clipped out walked up the steepeset part and then remounted. My walking wasn't much slower than those riding and I caught them on the downhill that followed. I wasn't proud that I had to walk, but I could tell my heart was at red line mode and being first OLY would conserve a bit of energy.

This course was much hillier than I had expected and really took a lot out of me. I couldn't get a good rythem going, up a hill, down, back up, short flat, another hill. All the other hills weren't any trouble but i didn't try to kill myself either, slow steady spinning and several times i said to myself "Wish I had the road bike with the triple" I was having fun and thanked all the volunteers out there (except for Max, as for some reason I didn't see him at the corner. I was passed by lots of people out there and only passed about 5 people. I was courtious enough to say great job, or looking good to many that passed me on the uphills.
I did push it the last 7.31 miles and would pay for that during the run.

Funny thing was when I got back to my bike after the run...I had a FLAT which must have happened in transition.

Lose 15 - 20 pounds.

Take in more nutrition, I drank plenty of water, but only had 2 cliff shots the entire ride. Dumb!

thanks Mike, Tomo and Hot Tamale for the hill rides we did. I will be down to do some more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Not bad, but could have been quicker. I needed to get some water as I was over heating. My biggest mistake was changing shirts I biked in the one you see in my Avatar which was perfect witha zipper and nice mesh, but for some stupid reason took the time to change into a mostly black and some red Under Armour shirt. Took some time to change and I was so HOT...on that run.

keep same shirt on.
Run
  • 1h 17m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Hear is where it becomes very intersting. I started off the first 1/4 mile feeling strong and refreshed. You run out of transition, onto the beach, through a bit of wooded trail & out onto shoreline drive around the lake. I slow continually but keep running for te first mile and with each step I can tell I am overheating. My shirt is black and I look at this gorgeous lake and just want to jump in and cool off (maybe I should have). Hit the water stop just past 1 mile mark and take in gatorade and water. Now I still feel overheated and continue to run but barely faster than I can walk...more like a slow shuffle. Walk for 10 seconds some where between mile 2 and 3 and get more gatorade and water at the BT stop. Not sure why but I drank the gatorade and poured the water over my head...felt good but made my shirt really heavy. ran down the hill to the turnaround and saw CathyG as I headed back up after stopping for more liquid at turn around station. Decent hill that I walked up and then back onto Shorline. My stomach is really starting to bother me and I can only run for about 10 seconds and then feel ill. Wlk for a few minutes and try again. No good and walked for about 3/4 - 1 whole mile. Saw Hot Tamale during this time and she was running strong. Glad too finally see her for the first time during today. After the walk which seemed to last forever I ran again, Fast for 30 seconds/walk for 30 seconds for a bit and then finally felt ok and ran the last 1/2 mile in.

This run was a struggle with the overheating, too much liquid sloshing in the stomach and the hills. the next one can only get better.

Not drink the gatorade...and not wear a black shirt. rookie mistakes I guess.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills on the bike took a lot out of me. I think we did about 1700 feet in climbing (I took Max's total and cut it in 1/2). sloshing stomach.

Event comments:

Good Race with nice organization.

thought I would finish 3:40 - 3:45 and I was right on target. Better than anticipated SWIM, average/or slightly below bike avererage and terrible run.

Special Thanks to my wonderful Wife who always supports and encourages me.

Thanks to all of my friends at RWOL & BT who keep me motivated, focused and entertained....you all Rock!

Tomo (Hey son!) and MIke, my new Tri coach starting Monday! You two are too much!!!

I had FUN and completed my First OLY and will use this for experience and learning lessons for my second.

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:29 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/668
Performance: Good
Suit: QR - Sleeveless.
Course: Cold
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:49
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:00:00 | 27.34 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:17:31 | 06.21 miles | 12m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling Hills
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-03 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

2007-06-03 10:32 PM
in reply to: #827811

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

It sounds like you weren't fueled enough and that you bonked on the run, you know? One little measley bagel probably was no where near enough, especially given the kind of course you were on that had you redlining the whole way.

Sounds like you really executed your swim goal - to go out nice and steady, to stay away from the chaos and keep your HR relatively low. NICE WORK, speedy!!

Sorry to hear about your run. Gatorade is bad. Very, very bad. It gives me the worst stomach ache and I feel bloated and cramped whenever I drink it. Try throwing Nuun tablets in your water bottles and stick to that on the bike and just water on the run. Oh ya, and next time JUMP IN THE LAKE!! That'll solve your overheating problems pretty damn quick   

But I'm SO PROUD OF YOU DOING YOUR FIRST OLY!!! And mostly, I'm proud that you didn't get goosed by a moose. At least I don't think you did, you didn't address in your RR so I'm assuming all's well in that department, hehe.

YAY FOR YOU!!!!    CONGRATULATIONS TOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

2007-06-04 8:11 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
It's all a learning experience, right?  I definitely learned some things during my first Olympic distance that never occurred to me in training.  Now you'll be totally ready for the next one.  You did awesome for your first one and it sounds like you had a great time.  Good job!
2007-06-04 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Hey there,

Nice race.  Great seeing you at swim at start.  Well done on the swim.  The bike course was TERRIBLE!  Bumpy and stuff.  Well done on the run, too, consider it was so hilly and hot.  Nice job. 

2007-06-04 9:05 AM

User image

Master
CT
Tom — great race — great learning experience!

I have to say that the effort you and your gang put into cheering for all the BTers in the HIM on Sunday was just awesome. You guys really had an impact on my race experience and I thank you for that. I was so looking forward to seeing you guys again on that last leg of the run knowing that you would give me the boost i needed to run strong into the finish. You guys really rock!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!
2007-06-04 9:17 AM

User image

Regular
Kelowna
great job out there.  Sounds like you never gave up once.  Now, you've established a benchmark and know what you would do differently for next time, right?  I hope I do as well on my first Oly tri!

2007-06-04 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Haddonfield, NJ

Great job!  It as just a warm up for Philly.  You will have all the kinks worked out in three weeks. 

Congrats on your 1st Oly!!!

2007-06-04 10:24 AM

User image

Master
Seattle, California
Great work TC!  Sonds like the wheels came off onthe run but just chalk that up as exerience.  Now you know what to do for next time.  Oh and that hill on the bike sounds brutal!!!  You did it though .  1 Oly down and many more to come I'm sure.
2007-06-04 11:04 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Dude, that is one speedy swim. I guess the open water experience treated you well out there

The bike course sounds tough for sure and probably contributed a bit to your experience in the run. It does not take much time beyond our Lactate Threshold to shut down the Aerobic Fuel System and then a bonk is just a matter of time. The Battery (Liver) Supply is painfully short and calories consumed is only going to delay the inevitable by a short bit.

You really hung tough on the run though and made it happen. I did the same thing you did with the Gatorade and running attire in my first Half Marathon with similar results

Way to make it happen and stick it out. This sounds like a very tough course and you took everything it had to offer and finished with a big smile.

The good news is that you have a built in PR for your next Oly since the bike course was long but about 3 miles over a standard Oly.

Your going to do great in Philly

2007-06-04 11:57 AM

User image

Master
Portland, ME

I showed up Saturday afternoon and my car thermometer read 86 degrees....That heat and humidity makes that race so much tougher. Great job.

2007-06-04 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Congratulations on your first OLY! Looks like you had a pretty good race.

Yea, from the sounds of it... your lack of nutrition plan might have gotten the best of you out there. If I read it right... you only had 2 shot blocks for the entire race (and some Gatoraid?)? That doesn't sound like enough.

The heat will get ya too. It has recently gotten up to 85-90 here, and I can feel it when I go to run or ride in it. Zaps some energy that's for sure.

Well, it's your first one... from here you only get better... right?

2007-06-04 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

Congrats on your first oly!! 

Thay bike course is really difficult. It was smart to clip out on devil hill. I was toast at the top and it was difficult to recover.

Jumping in the lake during the run....my fantasy also...it was sooo hot.

2007-06-04 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Congrats on your first Oly! A very tough course all around. Gotta love all those back to back hills on the run .
2007-06-04 4:11 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member

CONGRATULATIONS TOM!!!!!!!!!

Would have loved to witness your first Oly- sounds like you learned much & hung in on a VERY difficult course-cold water... mega hills.. & a hot run...

Be Proud!!!

2007-06-04 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,

Congrats on your 1st Oly on a tough course.  You all had the tougher of the two days to race on wrt the weather conditions.  We were too hot just spectating watching you all ride by us on 3a. 

Echo the previous comments about the energy you and your gang brought to the run course on Saturday.  Just amazing running past you guys at the end of the first loop and then finishing through the tunnel of high 5's was just awesome.  Thanks for all the support you provided to those of us finishing the 1/2.   

2007-06-04 9:02 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great race...congrats on finishing your first Int'l!!

It was super meeting and racing with you.....tough course for first Int'l...it was my first as well. I walked up Devil and three other hills the first time I did it....almost thought of quitting which clearly wasn't on your radar screen.

Blistering swim split...share any secrets? 

Next one will seem easy to this if it is all like a normal course. 

2007-06-05 8:19 AM

Champion

Nice job Tom, finishing your first OLY.  I know how tough it can be, I suffered like a dog on my first one too, especially on the run/walk.  Mooseman is a difficult bike course and those hills really take it out of your legs.  Don't feel bad about the Devil's Hill...I was redlining myself just getting up it!  Well, you got this one under your belt, the next will be easier!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed