HFP Racing
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 14m 1s
Overall Rank = 149/159
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

This is my first race alone. My fiance is usually there with me, which makes me a lot calmer on race day. It was weird to get up and drive alone, and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like it.

So I stayed up way too late on Saturday night. As per usual. Got up on Sunday and drove to Mt. Sterling. As I'm leaving my dorm parking lot, rain starts. *sigh* this is going to be a loonnng day. I got on the highway and there was lightning and thunder. The whole way. Crap. I listened to some NPR on the way down because it was the BBC broadcast and that made me happy!

Got there, got checked in, got marked, got chipped, found the rack. Remembered that I had popped the chain the other day when I put it in the car. That could have been BAD. Turns out the chain wanted to be a little piss ant with me...cue being covered in bike grease. Great. Had an old guy ask me if I was on the right rack because he was 65 and I was 22. Um..yes sir, I just read the thing. Ok, I'll go check again. On my way back from checking my race number, I ran into Stupidnickname! Hooray! Said hi, continued nervous and inconsistent checking of materials.
Event warmup:

Jogged to the car to get my footwash bucket. Decided to put the running shoes in there because it was raining. Don't give a damn about the bike shoes, they're used to it, but MAN do I not want to run in wet shoes. Come to think of it, I probably should have done some warm up. Le Sigh.
Swim
  • 33m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Gahh...ok, so I was worried about the water being cold. Turns out it was the absolute perfect temperature for swimming. Haha, take that you neoprene clad wussies!

Got up to the start and got ready. Not too many women in the international group. Had an OK start, traded some elbows. I went for an outside line to start with to avoid getting thrashed. Rounded the first buoy, no problem, second buoy, no problem. I was passing people, crusing along, heart rate was great, no big deal. Then, of course, I somehow neglected to see the no wake buoy, which I of course clotheslined and got a jolt out of my swim coma. WTF?! Nice job, poindexter. Tucked back into the swim and had a nice go of it.
What would you do differently?:

Pay more attention. Push harder. Actually train?
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Let's back this up to the swim.

First of all, I swam until I touched bottom. Stood up, grabbed the googles and the cap, trying to do my best "pro triathlete" impression. Which of course meant that my goggles shot off somewhere into the briney brown oblivion. Feck! So I'm looking around people are asking, somewhat helping, finally I say to hell with it and start going. And then...

"TRACEY! ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THESE!!!?"

Who else would find my goggles, but our very own, Stupidnickname, who was following me out of the water.
Hot.
Damn.

So he asks me to fix his timing chip in exchange for finding my goggles. No big deal...try to get it sorted, kinda helped, maybe? Got up the hill (forgot how much that sucked) found someone elses goggles (grabbed them), hit the footwash buckets, threw goggles to HFP volunteer, bike shoes, insulin pump, bandana, helmet, etc etc etc...and run.

And who is leading me out of transition?

Yep, stupidnickname.

But right behind me was a girl in my AG! OH NO!

Hehe, not slingshot my goggles.
always have BTrs in the race?
Bike
  • 1h 25m 23s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.46 mile/hr
Comments:

So I left T1 and started to bike. Ok, feeling good, feeling good. What? Who? Why is she drafting me! And she's in my AG! I mean, we are talking blatant draft position here. I don't think she meant it intentionally but she's seriously, seriously in my draft zone. And she remained so, for about 8 miles. She kept trying to pass me, but couldn't. And she couldn't get far enough ahead to be draft legal. I really wish she would have been ticketed, because she was cruising in the middle of the lane, which was forcing people to pass her in the other lane. *sigh* I wasted most of my energy on dealing with her.

It frustrates me a lot because I love biking. I love to ride, but man, I suck at it! I was really upset with myself for this bike portion. No excuse.

I should have drained both of my bottles, and didn't . Bad idea.

buy a new bike. train more. Don't suck.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

So I know that people are done and stuff, but Id really appreciate it if you'd, ya know, not camp out with your kids on the dismount line? Grr. So I got off the bike, feeling a bit dejected, and get to my rack. Only to find my stuff scattered to the wind. *Sigh*

Shoes on, race belt on, gel refuel, we're good. Off we go.

nothing major, just not suck so much so that people wouldn't mess my stuff up.
Run
  • 1h 10m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, admittedly, my run totals have been low because i've been getting ready to graduate and haven't had the time to donate to it. But this was pitiful.

I found a consistent stride and stuck with it. Great, cool. Was doing ok. But my mind got to wondering and thinking, which is bad. Overthinking of course. Was feeling a little low (read, a lot low) after doing so bad on the bike. And I was starting to get this annoying rub. Just when I needed it the most, I saw Stupid again! Got a high five, little pep talk, little lift up. Needed that. Made it to the turn around, where I saw two girls in my AG behind me! Oh crap! If I could just hold them off, I'd get 3rd!

I buckled down my pace. No more walking aid stations. I was doing good coming into mile 3.5. And then I felt it. A huge blister on my left foot. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Feck feck feck. Arse arse arse. Cussing up a storm. Girls are getting closer. One more mile left. OOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW! And the blister (s) rip open. Right on time. Both girls pass me. I try to make a run for it. Now I'm just embarrassed as I watch two girls in my AG, half my weight, go sprinting like non-sweating gazelles towards the finish. Leaving me with my sweaty, chubby, bleeding feet to slog in like a loser.

And yes, I cried.

So I'm rounding the corner towards the finish line. There's no one handing out water anymore, so I just took one. No one is there to cheer for me, so I'm just crusing in unnoticed. People are taking down the racks and stuff, so that's demoralizing. I'm still hurting (a lot) from the blister. Finally I get announced and I hear Stupid yelling his head off for me (thanks brother, I seriously needed that!) trot in, kids take my chip, and try to give me an orange soda, which I refuse because of the 'betes (which, as a side note ,made it through the race pretty well!)...settle for warm water from the faucet in the poolhouse. Pack up and go home.

Umm..train. Lose 20 lbs. Not suck at running. Wear socks. Take your pick.
Post race
Warm down:

Took my shoes off immediately. Saw blood running down my ankle and a HUUUUGE nasty blister. To which a guy passing by says, "niiice, that's a beaut!". Thanks, I think? Got the bike packed up, then went ot see the ambulance people to get a bandaid and an alcohol swab. Most action those guys saw all day. Got some tape for the insulin pump, which I had sweated off. called fiance and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Umm..lack of preparation. I decided to do this race a week before. I should have trained more. I'm really shaken after this race, wondering if I really belong in this sport or not. I'm really upset at myself for the bike and the run and for just...being me pretty much. My ego has taken a bit of a beating. But I think this attitude might be a result of my impending graduation and all sorts of emotions surrounding that. Overall, I haven't been able to focus on racing like I wanted to. *sigh*

Event comments:

HFP runs a good race. I just wish they'd wait till everyone was done to start packing up. It's a big blow to the ego at the finish to see people waiting to take down the tent and stuff.

Last updated: 2007-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:59 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 83/159
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri suit, tri top
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle, parallel to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:25:23 | 24.85 miles | 17.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 145/159
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Mostly flat...I say "Mostly" except for the two huge hills thrown in right at the end, for extra groin-kick effect.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:10:45 | 06.21 miles | 11m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 153/159
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back, flat, no shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-08 9:56 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: Deer Creek Triathlon - Olympic

2007-06-09 7:06 AM
in reply to: #836952

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Triathlon - Olympic

Good race report on a stressful day. But I know what you mean about the hill after the swim...I always think that they should count that as part of the run. Hope your feet (blisters) are doing much better now. You have a great weekend.

Chris

2007-06-09 8:55 AM
in reply to: #836952

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Triathlon - Olympic

Way to hang in there.  You managed to complete the race.  Sorry to read about the blister, I hope it is healing well.

I figure my first Oly they will be tearing down the stuff as I am finishing. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed