General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
United States
Elkhart Lake Multisports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 49s
Overall Rank = 120/296
Age Group = Males 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6AM, ate a banana, bagel with strawberry jam and half a bottle of water, dumping goo in the other half for later. Tried to do plenty of stretching. Bemoaned the fact that they moved the buoy further out than it was the night before, when I walked the entire course. Bought a Tri Donk jersey and opted to put my number on it and put it on after the swim.
Event warmup:

Misc. stretching. Went pee right before the start.
Swim
  • 05m 39s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I decided not to use the shorty wetsuit, as the water was very comfortable and I figured I'd be touching for most of the course and wouldn't need the extra floatation. Any benefit in that regard would be offset in transition and it clearly paid off, as my transition time was pretty good.

I think the combination of a shorter and shallower course really helped me this year. Last year, I finished 8/9 in my AG and 91/168 overall with a time of 8:41. I came out of the water quicker than last year too.

My run in was good and I high-stepped it at least another 20 feet, which helped me catch up to the last wave of Olympic swimmers. I didn't do the Devil's Lake Lunge like I should have. I instead wade/walked until it got too deep and I had to resort to actual swimming.

Once I was able to touch again, I did the lunge and it felt much faster. As I exited, I noticed the crowd was very close to the water's edge. I decided to turn it into a Gallagher-ish triathlon and sprayed the entire front row of people with a good kick of water. Not so it was obvious though :)
What would you do differently?:

Do the lunge earlier
Maybe kick a little harder on the exit and see if I could spray more people as I left the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

I ran down the wrong aisle and when I went to duck under the rack, I threw my back out. Bummer :( Then I put my helmet on first and buckled it, before I realized I hadn't put my Tri Donk jersey on. Shoes went on pretty easily, thanks to those stretchy laces. 94/296 is pretty good overall I guess.

Run down the correct aisle.
Not throw my back out.
Wait to put my helmet on until after I put my shirt on.
Bike
  • 42m 59s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Because I accidentally registered Oly and switched, my low number (25) not only impressed some of the ladies, but allowed me to be the first Sprint out of the gates, which meant I was in the midst of the faster swimming Olys when I hit the bike.

I didn't get passed much and when I did, I tried to keep pace, which I think helped me go a little quicker than I would've if I were alone.

My back didn't really bother me too much on the bike, but I did lose my chain at the bottom of the big hill by RA. I even kicked down into the little sprocket on the front before going over the tracks and pedaled, to make sure it was in gear. When I went to pedal on the other side, the chain was off. It went back on relatively quickly and I don't remember noticing back pain. I pedaled sideways to get up speed to head up the hill.

I still don't think I've found the right gearing for me going up longer hills. I should probably be pushing myself a little harder.

The bike course didn't change and my time was clearly better than last year- 48:11, which was good for 3/9 and 40/168 last year.

Danny B told me that he "jumped" over the tracks, to avoid the bumps and carry speed. I might try that, but I'm also feaful of bending rims/popping tires.

I would also try to experiment with my long uphill gearing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

I could barely stand up straight when I got off the bike and had all I could do to walk it to the rack. At least I already had my running shoes on. That must be why my transition was still so quick, because I basically walked the whole thing.

Try not to hurt my back in T1.
Run
  • 28m 52s
  • 2.49 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I started by walking out of the transition and down the street. I didn't think I'd be able to jog at all and would have to walk the course. My back continued to loosen up as I went on and I was able to start shuffling about a quarter mile in. I continued that pace comfortably for the remainder of the distance.

I never felt like I pushed myself from a cardio standpoint, because I was going as fast as back would allow me. Even with the bad back, I wasn't even two minutes slower than my healthy pace last year, so I'm encouraged by that. If I had ran the 27:08 I did last year (9/9 132/168), I would've moved up one spot in my group (not including slower transitions) and been on the cusp of the top-100 overall. Then again, if "ifs" were fifths, we'd all be drunk.

Try not to hurt myself in T1
Post race
Warm down:

Laid down and got a pretty good pop out of my back. Ate plenty of bagels and drank plenty of gatorade. Cheered the rest of the donks as they came through.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My back

Event comments:

It was nice hanging out with my fellow Donks and partaking in a little tri action. I did get a little sunburned, even though I did apply plenty of Bullfrog when I woke up. Special thanks to Dr. & Mrs. TriDDS (their real names) for hosting the post-race party.

Last updated: 2007-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:39 | 437 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/23
Overall: 80/296
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: The course honestly seemed too short. I could walk the entire thing the night before, but they moved it further out before the start of the race. I did move a 5-gallon bucket anchor over to a pier, so I wouldn't stub my toe on it the next day
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:59 | 12.43 miles | 17.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/23
Overall: 51/296
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Familiar course now. I hit a little over 43 mph on the steep downhill and would've hit the brakes if I went over 45 mph. I learned that at Devil's Lake. I was also a little more conservative on the downhill section in RA, because of the rough road. I seemed to be apexing the turns better than the riders around me and actually caught and passed several riders who had passed me earlier, just because I carried so much more momentum coming out of the turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:52 | 02.49 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/23
Overall: 219/296
Performance: Below average
Course: Same hilly course as last year. I tried to run on the shoulder as much as I could.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-10 9:35 PM

User image

God's Country (WI)
Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-06-10 10:10 PM
in reply to: #838154

User image

Pro
Without house
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

You rock, sky-high donkey guy!

Thanks again for your hospitality! 

2007-06-10 11:57 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI

Thanks for the laugh on your swim entry. Mind if I borrow the high steppin' at my next race? Too bad I missed the "accidental" splash too.

Thanks again for the hospitality and it was great to hang with you and the other donkeys!

2007-06-11 6:57 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Great Job fellow Tower!

Hope the back is mending, that really is a bummer for those of us with 4ft long backs.

Nice job on the day and sticking it out witht the back.

EEEEAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
2007-06-11 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
I may have to try the high stepping and gallagher moves in my next tri.  It'll give me a little chuckle, at least.  Great job...sorry the back locked up on ya.
2007-06-11 10:32 AM

User image

Great race X. It was great to see you coming out of the water. If you only had cornrow braids, i could have sworn you wer in the movie "10". Good to see you and good luck on your future races. Feel free to continue "jabbing"

2007-06-11 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Great race donkey!
2007-06-11 11:10 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Great race! Hope the back feels better today.
2007-06-11 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great race!  Well, b/c I know you, I am thinking you should have went over the bike rack, as opposed to going under it.  Hmmm??
2007-06-11 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Good race, donkey!! Back thing sucks, though.... Hope it's better today, as SOR is coming up in the not TOO distant future... good to hang out with the donkeys afterwards as well.
2007-06-12 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
When I saw the buoy on friday night, I thought it was too good to be true. Nice race and way to overcome your "challenges." Kicking water at the crowd, very nice touch.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed