United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 29m 58s
Overall Rank = 24/360
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

up at 5am. had breakfast and go things ready. out the door by 6.
Event warmup:

had a banana about an hour before the start. drank some water, moved the arms around a bit and did some light stretching. couldn't get in the water until right before the waves started.
Swim
  • 29m 58s
  • 1750 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out in the front of the wave. There were some fast people in my wave, i think 1,2, and 4 overall. At the start I saw them take off from my right and figured I'd sit in with them for a while. Did that and got clear of the rest of the wave in short order. Kind of lost the draft after a while.

I had a tough time sighting to the first buoy, and I think got to the right side of the course, but there were a ton of crab pots over on the left and a lot of slow traffic over there from the previous wave (5 minutes before me) so it wasn't a total loss. 3/4 of the way to the first buoy I caught a lot of the swimmers from the previous wave. I weaved through the traffic and got to the buoy. Sighted perfectly to the 2nd buoy and by the time I got there I had caught a lot of swimmers from the 1st wave (10 minutes ahead of me). Didn't see any caps from my wave anymore. Just kept weaving through traffic and trying to pick a good line. Sighted well to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Sight a little better to the first buoy, but not sure if that would have changed much.
Post race
Warm down:

ate a couple of snacks, showered off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not too much, I think I paced myself pretty well and didn't leave much on the table. I think the course was long or there was a strong current somewhere because the times were pretty slow compared to previous years. A guy who did the 4.4 miler last year with a 24:50 average did this swim in 28:00 and there were several guys who said their times were off by ~3 minutes or so. I guess that's OWS'ing for you.

Event comments:

Great organization. These guys put on a superb effort. Plenty of boats/kayaks in the water, course was well marked. Great refreshments afterwards. Lots of excitement, good vibes, etc.

Last updated: 2007-03-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:58 | 1750 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 24/360
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultra John
Course: triangular.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 8:03 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: Chesapeake Challenge 1 Mile Swim

2007-06-11 10:17 AM
in reply to: #838479

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Chesapeake Challenge 1 Mile Swim
Nice race...

Time to get a few Tri's under your belt now...
2007-06-12 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran

Awesome swim, with a podium spot and everything!!  You will be able to put this speedy swimming ability to good use on July 8th!!!

2007-06-13 8:22 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Great swim. Very cool that you got 2nd AG. You going for the whole enchilada next year?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chesapeake Challenge 1 Mile Swim Rss Feed