Sugar Land, Texas
United States
Out Loud Productions
Total Time = 1h 22m 35s
Overall Rank = 470/629
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 40/49
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 5:00 and had a piece of toast with peanut butter and a banana. Almost stayed in bed because I was just not real excited to get up and go race. Very glad that I did after all. This was a PR race in many ways.
Event warmup:

No real warmup. Walked the 3/4 mile from parking to transition and got set up. Stood around before the start with Joe (freeswimmingfish), Bonnie (Mrs.Fish), Stephen (red8711) and of course my wonderful Jockstrap Kylie. Stephen and I were the 4th wave to go and Bonnie and Joe were 2 waves after us.
Swim
  • 16m 50s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim is funny. It was all kindsa slow but it was by far my best swim in a race yet. Gun went off and I started in the back and waded out until I pretty much stepped off of a ledge at the bottom and couldn't stand anymore. Started swimming and was staying with the pack pretty well. By the first turn I was still a part of the back of the pack but I think the pack had spread out pretty well.

I got kicked in the face once that knocked my goggles loose and it took 2 stops to try to get my left eye sealed again. At the first turn I had to stop and tread water because the guy in front of me was doggie paddling. After this it was pretty smooth sailing.

The reason I say this was my best swim is because I stayed very relaxed. In all other races I have gotten myself and my heart rate all worked up and had to backstroke or breaststroke to calm down. This time I just kept a nice relaxed pace and swam the whole deal. Stopped a few times just to make sure my sighting had been correct. Had to swim around a few people. Felt good.

So even though it was slow and 2 min over my goal time, it was really a great swim for me mentally. The water was like hot bath water and you couldn't see an inch past your face but it was bearable.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim faster. I really never pushed hard and just stayed relaxed and calm. Even though my time does not show it, I met my goals mentally 100%.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Sort of long run into transition. Got to my rack and the guys bike next to me had been knocked off of the rack and was on the ground next to my towel. I took a second to pick it up and hang it back on the rack for him. I would hope someone would do the same for me. Should have been faster but oh well.

Move faster. Leave shoes on bike since I didn't wear socks on the bike.
Bike
  • 32m 51s
  • 11 miles
  • 20.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, this was fun! Headed out of transition and got up to speed really quick. Picked off a few people right at the beginning and just started moving. A few miles in I passed Stephen (red8711) and kept on trucking. For about the first 4 miles I really had a hard time getting my HR down. I was hammering and so was my HR. With my aerobars as close together as they are and that closing up my chest some, I got out of aero for a minute or so to calm down and get comfortable.

I noticed a few miles in the I was sitting up on like the front inch of my saddle, really getting aggressive with my position. The rest of the ride was pretty easy. At one point Jim (jkron) passed me and we exchanged a few words. I passed a 16yo male and after a few seconds he passed me back and then slowed some. He was weaving all over so I hammered up to about 23.5 and passed him and held speed for about 30 seconds to ensure he wouldn't catch me.

The whole ride I was a little nauseous from some lake water that I swallowed and the Accellerade only made it worse. I drank some water but not near enough. I never wanted to slow down enough to get a good drink. Toward the end of the ride I threw up in my mouth a little but kept going.

The course was very flat with a few short hills over a few bridges but nothing to complain about. Went by very fast. I think the actual distance was about 10.65 so the avg speed is a little misleading but for me it was definitely a PR ride.

Not swallow lake water making me nauseous. Drink more water and ride lots.
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Got out of my shoes cruising up to the dismount. Threw my leg over the back of the saddle and got snagged on my rear bottle cage. Fought a little too hard and ended up tossing my shoe off of my pedal. Had to stop and retrieve it. Time is slow because I sat down to put socks on before the run. Overall not too bad.

Run without socks. Be more careful dismounting and not toss by shoe across the street.
Run
  • 29m 17s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Grabbed a cup of water right out of transition and drank a little and poured the rest on my head. Was still nauseous but kept on running. Took the first mile easy and relaxed. Talked with other runners and some folks spectating from their backyards along the lake. Couldn't convince any of them to trade places with me and hand over the coffee. Hit the mile 1 aid station at 9:15, it must have been short, and walked a sec to drink some water.

Poured more water on my head and kept on trucking. It was nice running through the shaded neighborhoods. Made it feel like a nice Sunday morning run. I checked my time at the mile 2 aid station but don't remember what it was. I do remember noting that I had slowed.

The last mile I picked up the pace and little and felt good again. About a 1/4 mile from the finish I ran up next to a big dude who was walking and I gave him some encouragement. He said it really helped and he was trying to take a gu but couldn't get it open I think. I laughed and said by the time it kicks in he would be finished. He ran in with me. When we hit the bridge I picked it up and he let me go on ahead.

Got to the start of the finish shoot and wait, there is some guy trying to beat me. This has never happened before. Normally I would just sit back and let him go but I was ready to be done. I took off, so did he. I pushed harder, so did he. Finally I was all out sprinting and finally, he was gone. I don't even think this guy was in my age group but I didn't let beat me anyway! Great finish.

My goal was a 9:45 pace and I hit it. I think I could have run harder but I had a good time. No complaints.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the shoot and did not see anyone handing out water. I was thirsty! I had to roam around for a minute and ask someone else where he got his and finally found some coolers and baby pools full of water and cokes. Grabbed a bottle of water and a Dr. Pepper and went back to where Kylie and Tammy were. Stood with them cheering on finishers. Joe had finished right after me, cheered Bonnie, Jim and Stephen on as they came in. Walked around, talked to Stephen and his girlfriend, then packed up transition and headed home for a nice little nap on the couch. Great day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training is all. This was a PR race in many ways. The swim was slower than I wanted it to be but I SWAM (not backstroked or breaststroked) the whole thing. Mentally, that was huge. I can do it in the pool easy but had never done it in open water. The bike was definitely a PR ride. I was moving. The run was also. I have run this or a little faster in training but never in a race. It felt good to be able to pull that out finally. No regrets.

Event comments:

Race was great. It was well organized and everything ran on time. The racks were pretty close together in transition and I imagine the middle of the pack (bigger group) had a harder time getting through easily without running into each other. A finishers something (towel, medal, whatever) would have been nice but is not necessary. I will do this race again for sure.

Last updated: 2007-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:50 | 600 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 37/49
Overall: 0/629
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back sort of.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:51 | 11 miles | 20.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/49
Wind: None
Course: 2 loop and flat!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:17 | 03 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/49
Course: All through the park and neighborhoods. Nice and shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-06-11 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: Tejas Triathlon

2007-06-11 11:07 AM
in reply to: #838810

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Tejas Triathlon
Congratulations on the PR! Definitely made it worthwile to get out of bed, I assume. And good job on the swim...these OWS are a little intimidating.
2007-06-11 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
nice race.... ready for the next one?
2007-06-11 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Good job.

The little (& big) successes along the way will build your confidence as you gain race experience. Sometimes, the mental hurdles are bigger than the physical ones.

Congrats on your PR.

See you at another race in the future.
2007-06-11 1:48 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Great race! You looked awesome all the way through!
2007-06-12 3:54 PM

User image

Rapid City, SD
Hey Luke, Nicely done.  And yes, I am the guy you met in the transition area before the Race.  Congrats on your PR.

2007-06-12 4:05 PM

User image

Champion
Great job, Luke!
2007-06-12 4:06 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Great job on all the PRs, especially on the breakthrough swim!
2007-06-12 7:54 PM

User image

New user
Great job on your race. It is alway great to start off with a good swim!!
2007-06-12 10:20 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)
Great job on your strong race, Luke  We need to get back to our bricks with you guys!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tejas Triathlon Rss Feed