United States
J&A Productions, LLC
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 34s
Overall Rank = 217/308
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 47/64
Pre-race routine:

Let's call the segment "A Comedy of Errors".
Woke up at 3:50, ate oatmeal and a banana, then headed for San Jose. I made the drive down the day before to the packet pick-up and so I would know the way in the morning. Things look really different at 5:15 in the morning. I got off on the wrong off ramp, and there was no on-ramp back on so I wandered through some scary parts of San Jose till I found an on-ramp going the other direction, got on, off at the next exit and luckily the on-ramp back to the right direction was on the other side of the underpass. Wheeew! Made it to the race site and on the walk from parking to transition it was sooooo freakin cold. Fear of the cold water was setting in and I was a nervous wreck. At the transition area I'm looking for racks that aren't reserved for all the billions of tri clubs representing and I find a nice quiet spot without too many people. Get out all my gear out, went to put the aero bottle on and I can only find one of the big black rubber bands that fasten the bottle to the aero bars. I dig through all my stuff again, and holy crap it's just not there. A little panic sets in, then I decide to improvise. I got out my biggest hair band and used that, worked like a charm.; Wheeew #2! I fill up the aero bottle with my Infinit mixture and I realized my big straw is at home sitting on my dish drying rack!!!! Holy freakin SH**!!!!
Here's what is so bad.... last night I removed both water bottle cages from the bike since I knew I only needed the amount that was in the aero bottle for the distance and I wanted to declutter. What an idiot. So, after burying my head in my hands for a minute I grabbed my wallet and headed to the expo area to see if any vendors were there where I could buy another aero bottle or water bottle cage, anything. No luck. I stopped at the Specialized bike booth where they were helping people with bike issues and asked if they had anything I could use. One guy ran to his truck and got a bottle with a straw in it and gave it to me. Ok, things are looking up, except the straw is too short. I rigged it to stay in place anyway and had a plan to refill at an aid station to keep the fluid level high enough for the short straw to reach. Wheeeeew #3!
Next stop the porta johns, since there weren't any lines I took advantage. I hold onto the handle so I don't have to sit down and while doing that I must have flipped it to the "vacant" sign and unlocked it. I was wearing my new one piece Orca race swimsuit so the whole thing was down to my ankles when wouldn't you know, someone opened the porta john door on me! Buck a$$ naked looking at the now crowded lines of people. Could this day be any more torturous? I was pretty frazzled by now and just made sure my transition area was set up right and headed for the swim start. I totally forgot to down a Gu and drink somemore water. I didn't give hoot at this point, just let me start racing my first Oly already!
Event warmup:

At the swim I realized the water was warmer than the air temp., so that made me happy. I just tootled around in the water, and tried to listen to the announcer. Julie Moss happend to be one of the announcers!! The race started and I had about a twenty minute wait till my wave start, and I was thirsty. Not a super great feeling before the longest race swim I was about to do. I didn't want to leave to get some water cause I didn't want anything else to go wrong, maybe miss my wave for some odd reason!
Swim
  • 32m 33s
  • 1367 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was so calm. It's so nice to finally feel at ease at the swim start. I know I'm not fast, but I know I can do the distance, so off I went doing my best to keep up. I knew that most of the pack had left me in the dust as usual, but I wasn't sweating it at all. I felt real comfortable out there, made sure to remember to site the bouys and not once did I have to stop and catch my breath or gather my wits. After the third bouy the men in the later waves started to come by. Blue caps, then bright green caps and they kinda clobbered me a bit and pushed me around, but again, I was cool as a cat. Made to shore and looked at my watch and was pleased with my time.
What would you do differently?:

I think I'm ready to start pushing myself harder at the swim. I guess I'm more like a Sunday swimmer and should be more of a racer. In due time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

It was a bit of a run to transition but I was excited to be on to the next phase.

Not much, oh, but I had that helmet adjustment problem that I had at an earlier race and cursed at myself a bit for making the same mistake, but hey, I had a bumpy morning.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I immediatly felt sore legs when I got on the bike, and I also felt a little naked wearing a swimsuit, but it was actually more comfortable on the saddle than tri shorts, nice! I ripped off a Gu pack taped to the top tube and downed that. The swimsuit doesn't have pockets so I tucked the empty wrapper in one arm strap. I wanted to maintain a 16-18 mph speed and I just focused on that and being in a comfortable gear to accomplish that. My legs were just not 100% at any point of the ride. I didn't rest enough the days before the race and I was feeling the reprocusions now. Then my second Gu pack just blew off the bike and that was a bummer. I actually like this bike course alot. We went through some rural areas and it felt like we were out on our own. I was very pleased with my new fit adjustments that I made and stayed in the aero position most of the time. At mile 14 there was a half mile long steep hill. I alternated being out of the saddle and on it, in the smallest possible gear. I was only going 5 mph up this thing and funny enough I wasn't too upset. I got passed by alot of folks on this hill, and I just watched in amazement at there endurance. The top of the hill had an aid station so I grabbed some water, topped of the aero bottle and was once again on my way. I nice downhill!!!! I hit 26 mph at one point and that is the fastest I've ever dared to go. I was having such a good time! Soon enough I was back to transition.

Just keep working on getting out there more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

My rear end was kinda numb. My legs were not much better. I got my shoes, hat and race belt on fine and started to run off when I remembered one thing! I stopped and ran back and got a cloth to blow to gook out my nose. The last race I was at I hadn't noticed the runny nose and ended up with mud on my face on the run, snotty mud! Never again.

Not much.
Run
  • 57m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

No immediately out of transition my legs were hurting. I wanted to stop so bad, but I had to run through the park and people were all over the place and I was again feeling a little naked running in a swimsuit so I just wanted to hightale it outa there. I ate a Cliff Shot block, black cherry- yummy. So much better than Gu while running. I kept telling myself that I always feel sluggish until about mile two so just hand in there. It was beginning to get real hot and I started pouring water over myself at the aid stations. Sure enough, at about the two mile mark I started feeling like I could do this. We ran around the lake and when we came to an underpass on the trail another running coming back said were almost half way there. That made me so happy to hear, as the legs were feeling like lead bricks again. I went around the corner and kept thinking that the turn around was near, but it wasn't. I saw way up ahead runner going around another pond and my heart kinda sank. I was hot, really hot and just chugging along without much perk or pizzaz. I kept eating the shot blocks, about one every mile. When I came to the bridge back towards to finish area I knew that the end was so close. More people were there to cheer, and I have to say it made all the difference in the world. Some people were yelling out my number and that I was doing great and that put a spring in my step. Before the finish shoot another lady with a pom-pom yelled out to me to finish strong and that's just what I did.... I sprinted down that shoot, faster and faster with each step. I felt as light as a feather, like I was bouncing off my toes! I crossed the line and saw I came in at just over 3:00 for my first Oly and I was pleased.

Start sprinting sooner. I think next time I'll have hubby there with instructions to egg me on at the last 1/2 mile mark.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked to transition, basking in the glow of racing happiness. I fiddled around with my gear till I could concentrate on packing it up. I went to get some lunch chatted a bit with some other racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not properly tapering for this event. I'm on a beginning HIM plan and this race was just part of the training schedule, so I didn't put enough thought into planning my own taper for it.

Event comments:

Once again J&A Productions impressed me with their amazing event. These guys are great!

Last updated: 2007-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:33 | 1367 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/64
Overall: 239/308
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: Swam along the shoreline around Lake Almaden, then zig back in to a bouy, then back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:25:58 | 24.85 miles | 17.34 mile/hr
Overall: 231/308
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Off to some more rural areas, a monster hill and then though neighborhoods back to the park.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:47 | 06.21 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Overall: 183/308
Performance: Average
Course: An out and back course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-06-25 3:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Subject: San Jose International Triathalon

2007-06-25 3:30 PM
in reply to: #859378

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: San Jose International Triathalon
Great job Gina! Sounds like a heck of an adventure all the way around. What's up with the naked theme?? That must have thrown you off having the door open....I can't imagine. Congratulations, you did great!
2007-06-25 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Great race and a great report. Sounds like you had a fun and exciting morning. Way to get through all the hiccups and have a solid race.

Great job.
2007-06-25 8:04 PM

Nice job, Gina! You did very well on the bike!
2007-06-25 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Awesome job Gina!  You did great getting through all the hiccups and just racing.
2007-06-26 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
I loved your race report. I was laughing out loud (with you) about the trials and tribulations of getting to San Jose. However, (and this is important) you did great. You overcame those silly things that we have all done before one of our races and stayed calm during the swim.

Before I did my first TRI I was pulling up my wetsuit and my hand slipped. It split my lip and I started to bleed. My wife looked at me and said, that's not good before you get into the ocean. My coach responded--That's ok, the blood will trickle off of you and the sharks will pick off the swimmers behind you....

You should be proud of yourself as you did an excellent job being on your first OLY.

2007-06-26 9:46 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Gina, you have such a wonderful attitude.  Sounds like you responded to all the minor pre-race setbacks in stride and have a great sense of humor about it.  You did great on your first oly, learned a couple more lessons, and are setting yourself up for a great race in Cancun.  Congrats!!
2007-06-29 12:33 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome first Oly, Gina!! You did a great job keeping your cool despite all the pre-race jitters and bad luck. Congratulations on an awesome race and keep up the awesome attitude!
2007-06-29 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Wow Gina! That's an AWESOME job on your first OLY!! If you liked that distance, you'll love the 70.3!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Jose International Triathalon Rss Feed