United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, showered (easier to make my pigtails stay when my hair is wet), had normal breakfast (PBH Waffles) and mixed a light HEED bottle sip on during the drive.

Had one bottle of water frozen overnight, added water to the aerobottle and perpetuem bottle, grabbed recoverite and uncrustable for post-ride.
Event warmup:

None
Bike
  • 3h 09m 19s
  • 53.55 miles
  • 16.97 mile/hr
Comments:

This was easily the farthest I have ridden so far - I think previously my longest was an easy 2 1/2 hour ride, only covering about 36-38 miles. I didn't really know what to expect from today, I figured I'd feel good until around 40 miles and then get really tired. My nutrition plan was important today - a good test to see how I felt on all liquids. I had 1 bottle of perpetuem/endurolytes (5 scoops Perpetuem & 5 scoops of Endurolytes), 1 aerobottle of water, and a spare of water (to refill the aerobottly). I planned to sip the perpetuem bottle 1x per 20 minutes, drink water about every 5-10 minutes between.

Started out with the NAMC group, we stayed pretty much together for the first segment. Regrouped at the first water stop and I used the restroom. Started off the second segment, I thought with everyone, but apparently half the group stayed behind to wait on a few others. A few miles into this segment, I dropped off the group a bit, the pace was a little faster than I felt I could hold. Then I decided I was going to try to catch them, so I started working at an good pace, using the downhills to really push the gears and make up some time from the uphills (I'm really not a great climber, but I try! :)). I was really holding a great pace and then noticed these bright orange "SLOW" markings on the road - I don't want to slow down, I have great momentum right now, I wonder what that's for. Then I see the "-->" marking - oh, that's why. As I slam on my breaks, I sail past the turn - doh! The thing that sucked, was the turn was for another climb and I had turn around and start climbing from a dead stop, losing all the momentum that would have been nice. Oops! :)

I think I got to the next stop right after the group, saw a couple people propping up their bikes. I refilled my aerobottle and spare water bottle and waited for everyone to be ready to start again. This is where the 55 milers and 100 milers split on the course. Brett and Chris went to the left and the rest of us prepared to go to the right. As everyone is getting on their bikes, I decided to start - I know they'll just pass me anyway. Another girl on a SWEET Felt DA was right in front of me and we leap-frogged for a bit, I'd pass her on the downhills and flats, and she'd ease pass me (effortlessly, it seemed) on the uphills. I decided that I really kind of liked doing this ride without the group, not anti-social or anything, but I wanted to see how I could do alone, not drafting. The group pulled into the next stop a few minutes after I got there. I still had plenty of water, so I just refilled my aero bottle from my spare water bottle. At this point I realized I still felt really good and I had surpassed my longest ride - yeah! My nutrition seemed perfect, energy levels were great and my stomach felt great - yeah! :)

The last segment was the hardest of the day. I tried not to look to far ahead on the road, because there were some big hills and I didn't want to get discouraged. I just focused on shifting to keep my cadance consistant and spin up the hills as best I could. I stayed in the big and middle chainring the entire ride, which I was very proud of! I lost some speed waiting in traffic toward the end - darn, my average had been over 17 the whole ride before then. I lost more speed once entering the park, oh well, 16.97 is still pretty good! :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - perfect!
Post race
Warm down:

Got off the bike, locked it to the car, changed shoes, and did a 10 minute T-run. Actually felt really good - wow, I just did a T-run of a 53+ bike - yeah! Now did I want to run 13.1 miles after that? No - but I still have 3 months to get there.

At the end of the run, I passed the car and realized I had left the passenger door to the car WIDE OPEN! Oops. Good thing there were a lot of people around and they were honest enough - nothing taken. Stupid Heather! ;)

After finishing, I grabbed my recoverite, filled up my bottle with water and drank that. It took me probably an hour to be able to eat anything solid, which is pretty normal for me. I stretched while chatting with the group, then finally had a hot dog with Brett and John after the rest of the group left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience - but I'm VERY pleased with this ride.

Event comments:

This was an excellent event - the location was beautiful, lots of cows and pastures. The rest stops were fully manned - I think Courtney actually got a chicken buscuit at one of the last ones! Plenty of water, and other stuff for people who wanted to refill at the stations. Will be back next year. There were probably close to 800 cyclists out - it was a really neat experience.

I can't wait for the next cycling event!

Last updated: 2007-06-29 12:00 AM
Biking
03:09:19 | 53.55 miles | 16.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly rolling hills around rural Cartersville. One loop, with the beginning and end being the same
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-01 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: Cartersville Century

2007-07-01 3:05 PM
in reply to: #867775

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Cartersville Century
Nice ride and report. It was good to hear you talk about wanting to see how the ride would go solo as opposed to with group. Groups are great, but testing those solo waters is nothing but a very smart thing to do. Great job.
2007-07-01 4:59 PM
in reply to: #867775

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: RE: Cartersville Century
Awesome ride Heather! You held a great pace. Not bad for someone who was planning on being in NY and pulled off a last minute switcheroo . Congrats on the distance milestone- looks like that half is going to fall into place with your progress.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cartersville Century Rss Feed