mountain man events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 14s
Overall Rank = 152/292
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/26
Pre-race routine:

the first words i uttered today were, "i'm fairly sure i'm having a heart attack" and i think i hyperventilated for the first 15 minutes that i was awake. after that, i ate a power bagel with peanut butter and we got down to the lake at 4:45. i set up my transition area and laid down for a few minutes in the truck to regroup.
Event warmup:

i did a little stretching, but as usual it wasn't much. i mostly just walked around and chatted with people.
Swim
  • 18m 51s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

i didn't hear the horn because there were dogs barking on shore and that distracted me. i just started when the girls in front of me did. i gulped a mouthful of water four strokes in and choked for a bit, and then i couldn't get my act together. it was very crowded around me and i had trouble passing people and getting into a rhythm. after the first two buoys i got it together and really pushed myself for the last 350 or so. overall, though, this was my worst swim ever.
What would you do differently?:

not allow myself to freak out and give myself the "get you s@#t together" pep talk earlier in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 17s
Comments:

my t1 went pretty well. i left shoes by the shore to wear up to the transition area, but i just carried them up. i stepped on a rock and have a huge bruise on the bottom of my foot, which explains the pain during the run. i had no problems getting my shoes and helmet on and i took a half a pack of gu.

nothing.
Bike
  • 38m 37s
  • 10.56 miles
  • 16.41 mile/hr
Comments:

my drinking amount was not enough because i dropped my one and only water bottle at .9miles (yes, that's point 9, not 9 miles). needless to say, i was a little thirsty and cursing a lot. i used a rented bike because mine was not in yet and i had trouble with the small front gear (technical term). i almost didn't make it up the first hill because of it, but once i settled in, i did fine. my bike pace was much better than usual and i really didn't feel like i struggled except for the first hill.

not drop my water and bring an extra bottle just in case!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

t2 went fine. i took the other half of the gu and drank some water (finally). i think i stopped for a few seconds to talk to kelly.

not talk to people during transitions!
Run
  • 31m 40s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

i started the run and ran into some friends who wanted to take a picture. in my daze, i stopped to pose, which drew laughter from the spectators. the first 1/2 mile was a little tough and i walked a few times, but then i settled in and ran for the rest of it. i took some water and some gatorade and that appeared to help. i came across the finish line in a blaze of glory which makes me think that i could have given a little more during the entire run. now that i see my time i know i could have.

run faster and not hold back so much.
Post race
Warm down:

i stood around and talked, ate an orange and drank a water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

horrible swim and sub-par run.

Event comments:

i had lots of friends there cheering me on and that kept me motivated. i think i did pretty well for my first race!

ahhhh. that feels better. i was able to amend my race report due to the distances being off!

Last updated: 2004-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:51 | 1000 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 0/292
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: they changed the course and that threw me a little. a lot of people said that it was longer than 700 meters, which i believe based on my time.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:37 | 10.56 miles | 16.41 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: i've done the course before and the turnaround was actually closer than what i had practiced, so that was cool! it was pretty hilly despite them saying it wasn't.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:40 | 04 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Course: it was primarily a desert run, but there was a paved area about halfway through. the course seemed longer and a little hillier than i was expecting, but there was a downhill towards the end that helped.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-27 6:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
Subject: las vegas triathlon

2004-09-27 6:49 PM
in reply to: #67111

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: las vegas triathlon
Congrats on the first tri Cristin!!! Awesome job!!! I know how it is to start off with a bad swim...it sets the pace for the whole race!!! But you recovered well, and kept your spirits up. Posing for the camera...ha, that just made me crack up! Congrats!!!!
2004-09-27 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

FANTASTIC JOB!!!!!!  Congrats Triathlete!

Way to stick with it at the start of swim.  You must have been well prepared.

I think if you can incorporate the modelling while running, you could easily finish top 10! 

2004-09-27 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

Right on TRIATHLETE!!

You did good!  Now that you know what it's all about, you'll be able to hammer the swim and run next time!  When you go through Ft. Collins, maybe you can race with the BT-CO crew!!

2004-09-28 11:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Great job.  I have been there on the aweful swim part of a race and know what you mean.  My last race was much better and I am sure yours will be too.  Congrats.
2004-09-30 9:18 PM

Champion

Way to go Cristin...congrats on officially becoming a triathlete!  You done good!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » las vegas triathlon Rss Feed