Mossman
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 57s
Overall Rank = 86/516
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 10/64
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, had a Powerbar and Gatorade. Drove to the race met up with my team.
Event warmup:

Quick ride/run and short swim.
Swim
  • 17m 27s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok My race bascially started and ended here. I made a stupid decision I was in the first wave M 35-39 and 40-45. Standing there joking with my team mate and the gun basically goes off. I am in the first rank directly in the middle. It felt like I had all 120 people in my wave swim over me. I got punched in the head about three times, elbowed twice. Ended up punching a guy myself who then procedded to dunk my head under water. I swam my ars* off and that was basically to stay alive. Rounded the first buoy in a dog paddle as the only clear water I had was directly under my body.

I was spent, swam the reminder of the race until I hit the last buoy just breathing on one side as couldn't catch my breathe to three stroke breathe.

Hit the sand hit my laptime on my polar and saw I had swam 17.27, almost 2 and a half minutes longer than my plan. Found out later everone's time was up 2 mins approx from prior year as swim was long. I was shot mentally here I just wanted to stop, I felt dreadful and thought I was back of the pack. Swim length was definitely wrong I swim closer to 1.40/100yds not 2min 100yds.

What would you do differently?:

Ah - Pay attention and start on the inside right. Punch more people. I got beaten the crap out of and only hit a couple of people myself. This swim course was too small to have such a big wave on it.

Swimming is still my weak leg, need to carry on working on it.

Transition 1
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

5/64 in my AG for the transition.

This was how messed up my mind was after the swim. I was convinced I was back of the pack. Got into transition and saw there was 2 bikes gone on my rack and 3 on the rack next door. My mind told me the exact opposite of what it meant I thought it mean't there were only 5 people behind me instead of 5 ahead of me for the two racks. I can only put it down to the beating I took in the swim and the Oxygen Depletion.

Transition time was good.
Bike
  • 36m 27s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 20.58 mile/hr
Comments:

OK - Cycled along and never passed anyone on the first lap and never got passed. My mind was now really playing tricks on me. I was expecting after thinking I had a Back of The Pack swim I should be flying past people. I cycled with no effort at all on the first lap was just going through the motions. I wanted to do the ride in 35 & 1/2 mins or 21mph. In the second lap I developed some urgency and picked it up. On the second lap hit some slower people from wave three and couldn't get past them as they were sread 5 across the road and lost some time here. Must have passed a couple of peeps in my AG on the second lap but it was such a mess of people didn't notice.

Actually cycle at race speed.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

13/64 Age Group. Had an awesome flying dismount, was running so fast with bike I went past the entrance to transition and dropped my chain on my bike and almost wiped out a race official. Imagine my shock after thinking I was at the back of the Pack to get in and see maybe only 20 bikes racked in my wave of people. It suddenly clicked in my mind I was up near the front.

Slow it down a little bit.
Run
  • 21m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out and straight away had stomach issues. For the first mile I couldn't get into it then saw a group of people in my age group. Picked up the pace and passed 4 of them. Saw one of my team mates in my AG ahead of me tried catching him for a while and just gave up I just wasn't at the races mentally to push myself today.

Ok - Talked to my coach after the race and she said to me she saw me on the run looking as if I was out for a Sunday jog in the last mile. That basically sums it up really. I should have gone harder.

Looking at my time I got 8/64 wonder where I would have placed If I could have bothered running...
Post race
Warm down:

Drank and ate a little bit. Was so peed of with my race I went home and sulked.....I had no fun at all today I didn't enjoy 1 second of this race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ok - This was all mental for me today. I had set times I wanted to go at today and when I saw my swim time I basically went to pieces. I couldn't recover mentally after this. My ride and run were all impacted from then on. It is funny my wife came to watch and put it into perspective. After the race I was so angry at my swim she said she had counted the people coming out of the water and was amazed when I came out in the top 20 of a hundred plus wave and was so proud.

I had a goal to go in the top 10 today and made that but I am really dissapointed I was a snail today. It just wasn't my day.

I learn't a very valuable lesson today and that is I need to race my own race not what I think others are doing and also you can't race 100% all the time, I raced really well in my 1st race of the season so this was my benchmark, I need to be a little more realistic. This is only my second race so all a learning experience and this was only a B race so better to make mistakes now.

Event comments:

This course is too small for the number of participants. But really close to my house and a nice venue. They did a great job with organising this event. Goodie bag was awesome really cool dry shirt.

Last updated: 2007-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:27 | 880 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/64
Overall: 64/516
Performance: Bad
Suit: IM Instinct Full length
Course: Sea Swim at Calf Pasture Beach, out and down the beach and in.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:36:27 | 12.5 miles | 20.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/64
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: One descend of any note two ascends one of these quiet long. Course very tight lots of potholes and turns
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:31 | 03.11 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/64
Performance: Average
Course: Flat run along the sea.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-09 4:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: SoBe Mossman Triathlon

2007-07-09 5:26 PM
in reply to: #878032

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: RE: SoBe Mossman Triathlon

I look at the paces and still don't quite know why you're so upset.  If the course was 200 yards long that means you ended up going about 1:37/100 meters or 1:28/100 yards, either way a really strong swim.

The bike is not your strong leg yet.  An aero bike will make a difference, but so will more miles in your legs.  You just don't have that monster biking base yet, which only comes with more miles, but when you do you'll bike much faster.  Run split looks pretty good to me.  Not 100% as fast as you can go, but pretty quick.  Coming off the bike, not bad at all.

Top 10 in AG at your second race, only 1 minute off your goal when the swim course is adjusted for length, in total I'd say that's at least an average race.  You probably learned some good lessons out there as well, including racing your plan, focusing, letting go of the stuff you can't control, and going all out.  Go easy on yourself.

2007-07-09 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World
I think you are begin too hard on yourself. Nice race!
2007-07-09 6:08 PM

User image

Master
CT

"Ah - Pay attention and start on the inside right. Punch more people."

ahhh, that's the spirit!!

Honestly, I think you did great and are being way to hard on yourself. You should try to have more fun with it. Maybe your swim was off, but could have easily made up that time on the bike and the run if you hadnt let it get to you so much!!

Either way, you are pretty darned fast!! 

2007-07-09 7:15 PM
in reply to: #878136

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere in your dreams
James, I think you did very well out there. I often hear horror stories of your AG group and the swim that terrifies me! You overcame a lot of obstacles out there and did very well, IMHO! Remember, we all have bad days! But thanks for such a thorough report...I learned alot!

Keep up the great work and don't get discouraged!
2007-07-10 8:23 AM

User image

Expert

A tough time on the swim can definitely make the rest of the race harder and getting punched in the head is a challenging way to start  a race. You still did really well on the bike and run though. The bike was a little difficult with all the turns and a lot of people out on the course. Very hard to get into a "groove".  Nice run too; the only way I could ever run a 6:55 mile is downhill with a tailwind. On roller skates.

At your next race, find a little space to swim in, and I'm sure you will really do great.

2007-07-10 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Hey James - you didn't quite hit the time you wanted but you did get top 10 which was one of your goals!  Looks like the key is that you learned a lot, and will be able to use that for future races.  Smile

I would love to be able to do those times!

2007-07-10 2:21 PM

Veteran
"Punch more people." I laughed soooo much at that. Here is a lesson you will learn - some races just suck. Just like some workouts suck.

I would say that you need to not take the published distances espesh on the swim too seriously. Your pacing was right, you got beaten up and you lost morale even though your pace seems to have been right on.

Just chalk it up to experience and go on your pacing and effort at future races. It seems that bottom line is that you're more pissed with yourself for the lost opportunity - you have learnt so much from this race that will benefit you in future races.
2007-07-11 7:09 AM
in reply to: #879789

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

I have to agree with all the comments you've received so far, you did a damn good job despite a tough mental day.  If 20.5mph on the bike is holding back for you, let your competition beware!  Wait, I think we're in the same age group, I take that back!  Just kidding.... 

That's awesome though, you've got some serious talent.  Don't get too down about how tough this race might have been mentally, if anything it just shows not to pay so much attention to what your mind might be telling you.  If you struggled, it doesn't show in the results.  I always tell myself in a race to just relax and stay positive, and not even think about where I am or who's in front.  Ofcourse half the time you can't tell anyways with all those wave starts!

I guarantee you'll hit your next race and it'll be a completely different scenario mentally.  Good job out there!

2007-07-11 12:04 PM

Expert

Don't get too down on yourself.  Where is that New Zealand, English, Swiss, CT spirit

Seriously, the problem with focussing on splits during races is just what happened to you.  One perceived bad split and it throws off your whole race.  I have yet to race a tri where the distances are accurate (including the bike and run) so I don't really starting looking at time until the run.

Just race in the moment and you will get some seriously good results.

Great job out there. 

2007-07-11 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Wow James!  I know you're disappointed in yourself and it sounds like the mental aspect really got to you but I think you did an awesome job.  The good thing is that you know you can do better and now you have the experience of what it means to have an "off" day.  I'm reading the "Chi Running" book and the author says we never have a "bad" race or workout, only days that we learn more than others.  Chaulk it up to experience and look forward to better days.  You did a great job!

2007-07-11 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Nice race -especially the run. Swim was definitely long so don't get hung up on that. Which team are you with? I'm with New Canaan Cyclery...but I think it may be dissolving so may switch over to TargeTraining or Mossman.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SoBe Mossman Triathlon Rss Feed