Dallas Athletes
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 43s
Overall Rank = 263/295
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Shannon and I had decided a few weeks ago that we were going all-out for this race...and by all out we meant all-out DISCO! Surprisingly enough, most of our costume came from the sale rack at the mall, not Goodwill, so guys, save up your bellbottoms and platform shoes, it's all coming back!
Race day: up at 4:00 and out the door by 4:30. I had packed up my bike and gear the night before, which I haven't done before, so I really felt prepared. Pull up to the parking lot and Derek notices some numbnut riding his bike into transition without a helmet. Helmet, helmet, HELMET!!! Holy crap!! Forgot the helmet! Got my sequined belt, got my flashing necklace, got my disco hat, but no %#%#@ helmet. Luckily, we caught John before he left the house and he would bring his helmet. Even better, Aaron had his training helmet and it fit perfectly.
Event warmup:

Standing around waiting for the porta-pots. Nothing more. Shannon and I were amazed to see that out of the hundreds of competitiors, there were only about 6 or 7 of us were dressed up. But I must say, Shannon and I were definitely the most decked out!
Run
  • 10m 36s
  • 1 miles
  • 10m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Nothing much to say about this run. I guess a warmup would have helped, but as far as I was concerned, we were doing this race for fun, not for world records.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Lost the flashing necklaces (they were getting annoying) and the sequined hat

nothing. wasn't in a hurry at all.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 45s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 14.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Going out felt really fast, didn't think there was a tailwind, but after the turnaround, there was a slight wind in your face. Felt really great throughout though, I can definitely feel the difference over the last few weeks of interval training and weights. My quads didn't burn near as much on the hills and they used to, so Coach must be doing something right(heh). Shannon and I kept together most of the way, which was pretty fun. Also met another racer named Yvette that I remembered from TX Woman a few weeks ago. (Can you tell I wasn't concerned about speed too much?)

Nothing. Doing this for fun, remember?
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Forgot to get out of my shoes before the dismount line, oh well. Coming out of T2, Shannon and I did The Bump just for shiggles.

Nothing. Fun fun Fun!
Run
  • 36m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Like other race reports from this race, I will say it too...the 2nd run course was really messed up. Having to cross the paths of other runners to get to the aid stations? Come on, people. Shannon wasn't feeling too swift, so there were a few walk breaks, but we pushed each other the whole way and made deals with each other to start running again at "the hangy branch" or the "picky grass" After the turnaround, we're just trotting along, when all of a sudden I feel this SMACK on my left butt cheek! WTF??? I didn't realize it, but Shannon got the same on hers and before we could retaliate, Aaron (Jeepfleeb) was hauling his own ass away from us! The runners coming from the other direction were left scratching their heads, and Shannon and I were left with stinging cheeks! We made our way to the finish, struck the classic disco pose, and finished 2-3 for the Athenas! Fat Chicks RULE!!!

Yeah, that whole fun thing? Done.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around baking in the heat, collected our hardware, and talked turkey with the BT'ers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, considering we were wearing sweaters and sequins, I say our times were pretty damn good! Like I said, we weren't going for speed anyway.

Event comments:

I doubt I'll do another DA race for at least a while. For a really steep entry fee, we got cheap t-shirts, last-minute race changes, too few porta-pots (did anyone else notice that they were nicer than normal? Why not get the old hole-in-the-box kind and just get MORE!), a race that started late and completely disorganized, and screwed up aid stations. DA has the potential to do some great things in this area, but if they're going to cut corners in such obvious ways, they're not going to get my money anytime soon. Sucks, because I definitely would want to disco with Shannon again!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-07-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:10:36 | 01 miles | 10m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 274/295
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:44
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:10:45 | 17.6 miles | 14.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/295
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on FM 3002. Some chipseal, but lots of gravel on the shoulders.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:06 | 03.1 miles | 11m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/295
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-09 10:17 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: Disco Triathlon

2007-07-09 10:49 PM
in reply to: #878364

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon
Glad you were out there and dressed up.  Gave me a bit of extra motivation for the long run - and come to find out, you're on BT, too.
2007-07-09 11:22 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
way to have fun out there,,, those pics are great
2007-07-10 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Laurie, I saw you out there but didn't get a chance to talk to you. It was fun to look at the few of you who were dressed up! I wanted to dress up somehow, but wasn't sure where to purchase such groovy attire (I was thinking Goodwill). Good job and hope to see you again one day at Masters (that is if I can get my butt up to the gym in the evenings)!
2007-07-10 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

The disco duo were too cool dressed up like that!  Sounds like you had a great time out there, which is really great because that's what we do this for.

Very nice to meet you, and congrats!

2007-07-10 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Great to see you again, and glad y'all decided to dress up.  Thanks for keeping it fun for the rest of us too-hyper-competitive folks.  It definitely made it easy to spot you on the run!  Sorry I didn't get to hang around and talk longer afterwards.

2007-07-10 10:10 AM

User image

I remember you!  You and your friend looked so awesome in your disco glam.  I was working at that crazy aid station with the left turns and "dip".  It was probably the hardest aid station I've worked at, there was entirely too much going on with all those left turns and criss crossing traffic.  Looks like you had fun though!
2007-07-10 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Sounds like you had the perfect race. You had Tons-O-Fun and got hardware. Great job!
2007-07-10 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Nicely done, L!! Sounds like you made a good time out of a not-so-good venue. Congrats on the hardware!
2007-07-11 8:00 AM

User image

Pro
Evanston,
I love the smiles best of all.  Way to show 'em all how to have a good time. 
2007-07-11 9:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Nice going, Laurie! Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello out there! I think you guys should have been given a seperate award for the best dressed! Man, what a great race when you can dress up, have fun on the course, and get hardware!

As for the yoga pose in my picture, I think I would end up in the hospital if I tried that. The picture doesn't even show the whole move. She was actually down on her forearms with one leg bent in front of her, too! She must a human pretzel!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon Rss Feed